Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2008, 23:02   #1
BHPian

Street racing gone horribly wrong..

Student shot dead at Army HQ in Bangalore
NDTV.com: Student shot dead at Army HQ in Bangalore

NDTV Correspondent
Sunday, December 28, 2008, (Bangalore)
In what appears to be the case of mistaken identity, a 20-year-old B Com student was shot dead by army guards in Bangalore on Sunday.

The youth was apparently racing his bike on Mahatma Gandhi Road when he was given a chase by the police at 1 am in the morning. But the young biker managed to dodge them.

He then appears to have jumped a wall into Army quarters and was speaking into his mobile when he was challenged by the security personnel on duty. They later opened fire and student was hit.

He was taken to hospital by friends outside waiting in a car. The doctor at the hospital declared him dead.

He's been identified as Mohd Mukaram and his father is a driver.
Old 29th December 2008, 00:46   #2
BHPian

This kind of racing is very common in Bangalore. This person was warned by Police but didnt surrender. As he was speaking in URDU it seems. I hope some more Street Racer reach fast to heaven/hell as their speed. I don't know why Times Now TV is showing so many times. May be Media wants people to know for the the fate of Street Racer.
"Drive Fast to Reach Hell Fast"

Last edited by Sowmya : 29th December 2008 at 00:49.
Old 29th December 2008, 01:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

I really dont see the connection between him being dead and street racing.

Anybody who jumps into an Army quarters and refuses to co-operate will obviously be taken down, irrespective of what he had been upto before he got in.

Shan2nu
Old 29th December 2008, 02:14   #4
BHPian

The death may not directly have anything to do with street racing, but it is a classic case of how things can go wrong when kids lose their heads. I have no idea what kind of pleasure these guys get in these kind of races. I can tell you for a fact that they are very close to insane when on their bikes.

Many years ago, I was "challenged" by a bunch of these jokers. I was entering the Mekhri circle underpass close to midnight when some guys on their bikes started speeding towards me as if to make a head on collision. Similar to what I had seen in the move Ghulam. Except that I wasn't driving a train, but a car! Obviously, I got out of their way and therefore live to make this post.
Old 29th December 2008, 06:52   #5
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Wild unruly play in these terrorist-threatened days results in death, guys.
Old 29th December 2008, 10:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post

Anybody who jumps into an Army quarters and refuses to co-operate will obviously be taken down, irrespective of what he had been upto before he got in.

Shan2nu

exactly ,but the question is if the matter could be handled without killing him

i mean ,i am not defending him but death seems to be too big a punishment for such a small crime

even the death sentence of horrible terrorists take time in trials
was it necessary to kill him when he was unarmed

he might have not even realised it was army security or the police calling him down,and i am sure at that age and situation he must have panicked
Old 29th December 2008, 10:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

He was doing wheelie on bike and then police chased him. He did not surrender and went into army quarters. There he did not surrender/ he ignored the security's commands and then shot dead.

So there is a small connection between this, but I dont think its good to open fire like this. There are many places where this needs to be done, so why only here ?

But if the student has some sense he should have surrendered to Police.
But I dont think that army security guards opening fire is a brave move.
Old 29th December 2008, 10:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
He was doing wheelie on bike and then police chased him. He did not surrender and went into army quarters. There he did not surrender/ he ignored the security's commands and then shot dead.

So there is a small connection between this, but I dont think its good to open fire like this. There are many places where this needs to be done, so why only here ?

But if the student has some sense he should have surrendered to Police.
But I dont think that army security guards opening fire is a brave move.

I come across these morons almost on a daily basis being chased By CMP(central military police)and sometimes commando's also.
I have talked to these security personnel myself regarding this,since they chase them with weapons in their vehicles.
All they can do is scare them at gunpoint.

But shoot them no way,not at all.
something is fishy here.
Old 29th December 2008, 10:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

Extremely sad incident but I agree with Shan2nu 100% -
Quote:
Given the post 26/11 scenario, no one will want to take a chance.......not that I'm justifying the killing.
Old 29th December 2008, 10:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

I don't see any point in discussing this at all : I mean, guys, it is possible to do a lot of (irrelevant) talking in hindsight. Let us not waste time on that. It would be good if there was something to be learnt from this incident, so that others don't put themselves in similar tragic situations. We should be discussing that here, rather than the "right" or "wrong" of the past actions of other persons.

I think it was very unfortunate that the victim (Mohammed Mukaram) had to meet such a tragic end. My heartfelt condolences to his family and his near and dear ones.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 29th December 2008 at 10:23.
Old 29th December 2008, 10:19   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Shan2nu
Bravo , Shan2nu.

You have summed it up beautifully.
Old 29th December 2008, 10:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

Nobody is gonna shoot a 20 year old student just because he was racing on the streets.

Im sure they thought he was some sort of terrorist. And we've seen in the Bbay incident that all those guys were youngsters with a clean shave and modern clothing (exactly what a 20 yr old student might look like).

But even if you have to shoot a person without the intention of killing him, you always aim at areas that will slow him down but not kill him. This is where they made a mistake.

Shan2nu
Old 29th December 2008, 10:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post

Extremely sad incident but I agree with Shan2nu 100% -

Given the post 26/11 scenario, no one will want to take a chance.......not that I'm justifying the killing.
How many times the army quarters were targetted, such that they did not want to take chance ?
The attacks were done by whom we know and are we moving ? NO.

This is pure arrogance displayed by army and I wonder what next they will do. Come out on road and start opening fire at those whom they feel are suspects ?

Agreed that street racing is bad must be equal to cancelled license for an year or something like than, but shooting at someone ?

I think that akshay4587 is correct, something is fishy.
Old 29th December 2008, 10:43   #14
BHPian

Frustrating is all i can say.

The guy was unarmed.

Army should have tried to catch him alive, its sad, he was not firing at them or throwing grenades at them, where was the need to fire at him.

The guys was just 20 and at that age when you know that you are being chased by Police for driving fast, the first thing you think of is, to drive faster and escape, the same thought would have come into some mature heads too with the rush things at that moment.

Racing is not to be blamed for this.

Its the system, Police should have faster moving vehicles then the most, Police is meant for catching the bad guys, not to just chase them. If they would have had a faster vehicle they could have caught the young 20year old boy enjoying his bike.

Any kind of chasing sets in panic in everybody who is being chased and it was this panic which resulted in boy jumping the wall of Army quaters.

Last edited by Bubby : 29th December 2008 at 10:47.
Old 29th December 2008, 11:01   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
Frustrating is all i can say.

The guy was unarmed.

Army should have tried to catch him alive, its sad, he was not firing at them or throwing grenades at them, where was the need to fire at him.
How does the army know that he dosent have any explosives. It was his own mistake.

Quote:
The guys was just 20 and at that age when you know that you are being chased by Police for driving fast, the first thing you think of is, to drive faster and escape, the same thought would have come into some mature heads too with the rush things at that moment.
Hes 20 not 10 so the first thing he has to think is to stop.

Most Viewed