Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2008, 18:07   #31
Senior - BHPian

Did you speak the same lcoal language (mustbe Telugu in this case). Why did'nt you bargain for less before/after the job is done (by villagers)? You could have involved police i.e., you could have given a complaint and the matter would have been settled for less (this happened to us during our recent coorg trip). I know police will have their cut in these kind of cases (drunken driving). But at least you could have saved some money and parts of your car.
Old 29th December 2008, 18:18   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Did you speak the same lcoal language (mustbe Telugu in this case). Why did'nt you bargain for less before/after the job is done (by villagers)? You could have involved police i.e., you could have given a complaint and the matter would have been settled for less (this happened to us during our recent coorg trip). I know police will have their cut in these kind of cases (drunken driving). But at least you could have saved some money and parts of your car.
any ways what ever happened is happened... i lost a lot of money and my car. i am sure another 3-4 months i will be able to buy another car. i do not believe in loans so i guess i have to save a lot
Old 29th December 2008, 19:34   #33
Senior - BHPian

Really you are lucky to come out without any major damages

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
the road is almost straight there is a turn on the right which is not very sharp, i do not remember what happened but there was breaks applied well over 20 meters from the crash site, there are skid marks on the road. The person said suddenly the car swayed to the left and it hit a rock on the left. this airlifted the car and it landed upside down in a 20 ft ditch.
Guys, what could be the possible reasons for this to happen. Will be helpful for many to learn from this accident

How come the tires could go that bald in one hard braking
Old 29th December 2008, 20:33   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post

Guys, what could be the possible reasons for this to happen. Will be helpful for many to learn from this accident
There are 5 reasons for this.

1.Alcohol
2.Alcohol
3.Alcohol
4.Alcohol, and
5.Alcohol

Basically, alcohol reduces reaction times. So, much of the damage is done even before u realise and react to it. The riders were smart enough to wear seatbelts, but dumb enough to be intoxicated while driving. Plain stupidity.

Well, the accident was a definite way of sending the msg to educated people that drunken driving is stupid and dangerous.

Prajwal
Old 29th December 2008, 20:35   #35
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Oh my gosh! Aren't all of you lucky? From the photos this does look like quite a big, scary impact and reinforces the fact that seat belts do save lives. I have had an accident (a frontal collision) in a Wagon R and the seat belt is what saved my face from being banged into the dashboard.

From the photos, the damage does look repairable. If it is a car that's close to your heart, I suggest you go in for the repair, but make sure it is carefully done under supervision to ensure your car is back to running condition.

Keep us updated on what happens.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 29th December 2008, 20:41   #36
BHPian

I had a similar experience, couple of weeks back. I had gone a ride with a couple of expats ... each of us on Machismo 500s.. I was leading a ran off the road on a sharp downhill turn and broke my wrist.. thankfully avoided other injuries as I had a full face helmet, safety shoes and a padded jacket... We parked my bike at a temple and rushed back to bangalore.

I went in for hand surgery next day... and sent my driver to get the bike... and he could not find the bike.. found it a coupe of days later in a different location.. the battery was gone. the tyres were removed...

It could have been worse
Old 29th December 2008, 23:48   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post

1.Alcohol
2.Alcohol
3.Alcohol
4.Alcohol, and
5.Alcohol

Basically, alcohol reduces reaction times. So, much of the damage is done even before u realise and react to it. The riders were smart enough to wear seatbelts, but dumb enough to be intoxicated while driving. Plain stupidity.

Well, the accident was a definite way of sending the msg to educated people that drunken driving is stupid and dangerous.

Prajwal
That's judging Pramod/and his driver pretty harshly. Agreed Alchohol could've played a part - but let's not jump the gun here. I've seen pretty sane people getting into horribly stupid accidents like this before. And not putting a seatbelt is as bad a crime, IMHO.

That being said - he did say 'trance', didn't he ?
Old 30th December 2008, 09:36   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post

1.Alcohol
2.Alcohol
3.Alcohol
4.Alcohol, and
5.Alcohol

Prajwal
the guy who was driving was not drinking, we had made arrangements that way, and 2-3 beers i do not think could do much of damage, the music was loud and people were literally dancing inside the car, any ways i have had losses, my intend to bring this to my fellow BHPians is not to be judged however just to let people know what i feel about the whole indecent. An accident can happen to anyone and my intend was not to get victimized however to ask fellow wise BHPinas about my next move of whether to keep the car or to scrap it. please understand this is one mans child hood dream of owning a car which got destroyed by a couple of wrong moves, i have done my share of repenting about everything.

Last edited by pramodkumar : 30th December 2008 at 09:38.
Old 30th December 2008, 10:23   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the guy who was driving was not drinking, we had made arrangements that way, and 2-3 beers i do not think could do much of damage,
Pramod, glad you all came out pretty much unhurt!

I do feel the need to correct that notion of yours about beer.
One 330 ml can of regular beer (typically 5% alcohol by volume) is considered to be a unit. After imbibing one unit, your responses have already taken a hit. It takes about 2 to 3 hours for the effects to wear off.
Old 30th December 2008, 10:39   #40
Senior - BHPian

no offense meant but in a 10 year old esteem , doing 100 kmph on those bald tyres, you being alive is nothing short of a miracle even with the seat belts , anyways be safe and i if i were you i would not gett he car.
Old 30th December 2008, 10:46   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
no offense meant but in a 10 year old esteem , doing 100 kmph on those bald tyres, you being alive is nothing short of a miracle even with the seat belts , anyways be safe and i if i were you i would not gett he car.
If you read the complete thread, somewhere below, its mentioned by Pramod that the tyres were not that old it was after the accident that turned bald. Its strange, but that is what it is.

Pramod you may want to take the tyre to the concerned, as with one single hard braking the tyre should not go out of shape.
Old 30th December 2008, 11:05   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
If you read the complete thread, somewhere below, its mentioned by Pramod that the tyres were not that old it was after the accident that turned bald. Its strange, but that is what it is...
Frankly, I find this very hard to believe that a single hard braking caused the tire to wear of as shown in the photo. And the wear is too even or smooth for it to be caused suddenly, it certainly looks like a over-the-time wear.
Old 30th December 2008, 11:25   #43
BHPian

Pramod, that is really a scary incident. Glad that you all are safe without any major injuries. You guys must thank the lucky stars.

Whatever may be the reason for the accident, I am sure you will not repeat the mistake again and cautious next time. There is no point in discussing about the cause of it.

If you are too sentimental about the car, spend 40k and restore and keep it.

I did not surprise when you people were looted by those villagers. We also had a very bad incident in this stretch. Thanks that one of our friends had contacts with the police, we came out without being beaten.

Later we found out that this is routine in that highway. Actually, people there will be looking for accidents to happen and mint money from those who are low due to the accident. I really hate this particular stretch.

Also, I would like to warn who are travelling on this stretch. Please be cautious and avoid any incidents.

Last edited by ravi@64bhp : 30th December 2008 at 11:29.
Old 30th December 2008, 11:45   #44
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I feel we have discussed enough about the accident and how it happened and what happened aftermath. He is already repenting for teh same and he will take some lessons frm this accident...Right , Pramod.

He is also mentioning that he will buy a new car in next 3~4 months of time. Hence, IMO, there is no point in discussing further...I feel the purpose is served.
Old 30th December 2008, 13:30   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsmith2 View Post
That's judging Pramod/and his driver pretty harshly. Agreed Alchohol could've played a part - but let's not jump the gun here. I've seen pretty sane people getting into horribly stupid accidents like this before. And not putting a seatbelt is as bad a crime, IMHO.

That being said - he did say 'trance', didn't he ?
Alcohol has played a part. The biggest part. How doesnt the driver remember what was in front of him and what hit the car? Drunken driving is an even worse crime, IMHO. Had u hit a passing villager, I am sure u would have pleaded drunken driving as the cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Pramod, glad you all came out pretty much unhurt!

I do feel the need to correct that notion of yours about beer.
One 330 ml can of regular beer (typically 5% alcohol by volume) is considered to be a unit. After imbibing one unit, your responses have already taken a hit. It takes about 2 to 3 hours for the effects to wear off.
I was getting to that.

Quote:
the guy who was driving was not drinking, we had made arrangements that way, and 2-3 beers i do not think could do much of damage, the music was loud and people were literally dancing inside the car, any ways i have had losses, my intend to bring this to my fellow BHPians is not to be judged however just to let people know what i feel about the whole indecent. An accident can happen to anyone and my intend was not to get victimized however to ask fellow wise BHPinas about my next move of whether to keep the car or to scrap it. please understand this is one mans child hood dream of owning a car which got destroyed by a couple of wrong moves, i have done my share of repenting about everything.
To ensure that the BAC level is low enough to be legal, u need to sleep off the whole night to get rid of the alcohol in your blood just from those 3 cans of beer.

Apparantly, I hope now u know that 2-3 beers can do enough damage. And u r alive enough to realise it. Trust me, had anyone of u or ur friends had died, the driver would have been sued by their parents for negligent driving/manslaughter.

If owning a car was ur childhood dream, protect it. Don't give it off to someone else to take care of it.

Prajwal

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks