Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2008, 10:53   #1
Senior - BHPian

Seat belt saved my life

Team,

I work with a well know BPO in Hyderabad and due to increased work pressure lately, my team decided to go on a long drive...the route chosen was Nagarjuna Sagar, we were 10 guys in 2 cars, we started by 7:30- 8 in the morning and as usual trips like these demand alchol. most of us had 2-3 beers and the ones who did not drink were allowed to drive. Till here everything was perfect, we planned to go to a friends farm house near the dam and decided to party there. the mood was set and all of us were enjoying the loud music and later we all realized we were in a state of trans. we were doing a descent 100-110 in my 10 year old esteem. i was sitting at the passenger seat with one of my team member driving. i suddenly remember a huge thud and within no time the car was upside down. villagers arrived from all directions and to my surprise there were not there to help us however they were there to steal our valubles. almost all of us lost our cell phones. i lost my watch which i brought using my first salary. All the occupents of the car walked out of the car with minor injuries this mainly because of seatbelts. the problem did not end there. In no time the satyam ambulance reached there and with that came a guy with a camera pretending himself to be a reporter. With in no time we realised that was an accident prone zone and every accident means money. We had to threten the reported to leave, then some villagers informed us that they have seen one guy with our mobiles, and finding him and getting it back took us most of the time. i was the one who was injured the most out of the lot so they decided to take me to hyderabad and the rest planned they will come along with the towing vechile. the villagers made sure it goes dark and promissed us that the car will be in hyderabad by dawn. we paid them 2000 rs out of the 3500 they agreed on. finally by 11 pm one guy calls up and tells me to come and take the money as their driver does not have liscence and cannot tow the car. next day i went back to the spot and as i guessed right the car was ransacked. there were no component speakers (we removed the 6x9, woofer and AMP) the battery was gone. The vilagers came to help (again money minting motive) we decided to load the car on a truck and bring it back to hyd which was 100 kms away i paid 5000 rs for it the total expences were close to 12000 which included money for everything they touched. finally we brought the car back to hyderabad and its at a work shop in ameerpet. i have 2 questions for my fellow BHPians
1. Scrap the car(20-25k)
2. Re-build it (sentimental values costing me 40 k)

Owing to the present situation cannot afford another car, please suggest
Attached Thumbnails
Seat belt saved my life-dsc0005101.jpg  

Seat belt saved my life-dsc00050.jpg  

Seat belt saved my life-dsc00069.jpg  

Seat belt saved my life-dsc00070.jpg  

pramodkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2008, 10:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

OMG
thats scary
hope you didnot get hurt much.

Feel like shooting those people who stole the valuables.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2008, 11:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thank God you're safe. From the photographs, it seems to be a pretty major accident. You're extremely fortunate that no one in the car was seriously injured. I guess this is a reminder for all of us to belt up and drive safe.

As regards your car, well, take it to the Maruti service center for a thorough inspection. Although it does look pretty bad, it might be that there is no major structural damage, in which case a rebuild might not be a bad idea, especially considering that you do not have the budget to go in for a new car.

Do post the inspection report and the estimate.
Old 29th December 2008, 11:09   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
1. Scrap the car(20-25k)
2. Re-build it (sentimental values costing me 40 k)

Owing to the present situation cannot afford another car, please suggest
Hey Pramod,

Good that you all escaped with minor injuries.

Get the car re-build, its as simple as that, as you wrote you cannot afford another car.

If you wiil sell this car, then i assume that you would move to a 2-wheeler, which is not an good idea, moving from an 4-wheeler to a 2-wheeler is always not an good idea.

Get it re-bulided and keep it with yourself, keep it with yourself even when you can afford a new car, keep it with yourself as a secondary car then.cheers:

Last edited by Bubby : 29th December 2008 at 11:14.
Old 29th December 2008, 11:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

I am the one in the first pic standing near the car and more over that i was the one sitting next to the driver which has the maximum damage. i just have one thing to say i am lucky. the car did its job of saving me despite to such a horrible crash. it toppled over and still we are all alive with minor bruises and concussions.
Old 29th December 2008, 11:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
Hey Pramod,

Good that you all escaped with minor injuries.

Get the car re-build, its as simple as that, as you wrote you cannot affors another car.

If you wiil sell this car, then i assume that you would move to 2-wheeler, which is not an good idea, moving from an 4-wheeler to a 2-wheeler is always not an good idea.

Get it re-bulided and keep it with yourself, keep it with yourself even when you can afford a new car, keep it with yourself as a secondary car then.cheers:
Thanks bubby this what i feel as well. i can only afford one by the end of this year, till then i think this should do the job.
Old 29th December 2008, 11:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Its good news that everybody is safe. The Esteem is badly damaged. Scrap it. The body is affected as we can see.
However, do you know how the accident took place ?

Never trust these people. One incident that happened to my earlier friend.
Around 8 years ago, a Maruti Omni crashed near Saputara. The owner gave money to villagers and told them to take care of the car. The parts like battey, music system, seat covers steering cover, headlamps were stolen.
Old 29th December 2008, 11:15   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Thanks bubby this what i feel as well. i can only afford one by the end of this year, till then i think this should do the job.
Get it re-bulided and keep it with yourself, keep it with yourself even when you can afford a new car, keep it with yourself as a secondary car then, this would further even justify the 40k that you would be spending on the re-build.cheers:

Cheers.
Old 29th December 2008, 11:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

Glad that you guys are safe.

Doing 100+ kmph on the vehicle with those wore out tires itself was a major issue! Thank God nothing else happened and whatever happened ended up like this!

It's sad that these 'village' (thief's rather) have this kind of attitude!

With regard to what to do now with the car - scrap it!
Old 29th December 2008, 11:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Glad that you guys are safe.

Doing 100+ kmph on the vehicle with those wore out tires itself was a major issue! Thank God nothing else happened and whatever happened ended up like this!

It's sad that these 'village' (thief's rather) have this kind of attitude!

With regard to what to do now with the car - scrap it!
i am just worried about one thing, what will the scrap dealer do with the car. If he rebuilds it and the car gets into wrong hands then its a problem, looking at the increased terrorist activity i am little skeptical about this option.
Old 29th December 2008, 11:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

OMG, look at the car. You have to thank your stars as you are in a position for writing this thread...Just one thought flashed, my friend lost his life in a similar accident like this (his neck was broken, multiple head injuries).

About your car, it is better you repair it and have it with you till you buy tyour next car as you cannot any car right now.

BTW, how did this happen? Mixing drink and driving will always be fatal. You guys are plain lucky.
Old 29th December 2008, 11:35   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Good god! That was a close shave! glad that you are safe.
Did you report to the cops about the theft as well? You must do so if not and write a stern letter to the commissioner and the national highways authority as well about the accident prone stretch. I'm surprised your alloys weren't stolen overnight.
Did you get your mobiles back?
IMO, don't scrap the car, get it rebuild.
Old 29th December 2008, 11:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

Pramod good to hear that you are SAFE.
Well I really doubt the car getting repaired for 40K . As per the damages the rebuild charges would be definetely double the estimated charges.
Whole body shell has gone for a toss, right, left fenders, doors, tyres, windshield , headlights, bumper,Etc
Hope you have insurance
Old 29th December 2008, 11:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

@ saronikar i have just 2 words to say i am lucky
@ Tejas we had alcohol and trust me cops were the biggest thieves we avoided at that time
@sushrutha: i do not have a comprehensive insurance, i had a 3rd party which will not cover this.
Old 29th December 2008, 11:56   #15
BHPian

Pramod,good to hear that you and your friends are safe.

Suggest that you scrap the car as it looks to be in a bad shape and incase the chesis has had an impact then the car would continue to be a dangerous one even after a rebuild.

The villagers playing their part after the accident was horrible.

Most Viewed