Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2009, 08:05   #16
BHPian

I guess the essence of this topic is getting diluted.

We as Indian's are aware that there is a lapse in our governing activities.
Lets not get into how to improve the Governing bodies, lets more of get into how do we behave on road, how do we cultivate the habit of following rules

When I say how?, this is
For people who already have Driving License
For people who are educated
For people like us, Auto Enthusiasts.

Its not about driving from 0-100 in 7 seconds, its about driving safe not alone for yourself but also for your fellow road mates, for your family.

I am deeply mourned this morning, as there was a huge Accident between 6.30 - 6.40 AM on Outer Ring Road on the junction to Aricent and JP Morgan chase (Prestige Tech Park) and its claimed lives, caused inconvenience to others. Mistake was not to follow signals, not wearing seat belts .

Last edited by deepakchiniwal : 19th August 2009 at 08:06.
Old 19th August 2009, 08:12   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
Ants are pre Programmed, but human beings learn it right. So is it not the right time to learn from them?

For people who know driving, are you advocating to go to classes again.

This the precise reason I said, we need to cultivate the habit of following rules. Its from us the younger generation learn. Lets set a right example in every move of life so atleast they become more civilized than what we are and let them have least of problems in life.

Its we the Indian's and not someone else who comprise of India and we often see complaining about Indian's.

And often seen, people who travel abroad and drive there adhere to road manners and when back to India drive as though driving in playground, its so sick of us.
I agree, 100%
Indians have this unfortunate tendency of waiting for their world - India in this instance - to be fixed for them before taking any steps to change themselves, or even look in the mirror to see if any change is called for. This is human nature to an extent, but our lack of civic sense of community has allowed us to be the best in the world at this.
Be the change you want to see, a truly great Indian said. Too few of us have taken that message to heart. And educated Indians are the worst offenders, they offend inspite of the education ( so called education?).
The other typically Indian trait is to be schoolyard bullies, until we see authority wielding a big stick that cannot be corrupted. Then we become docile, even gutless, little lambs, falling over ourselves to fall in line.

Last edited by Sawyer : 19th August 2009 at 08:20.
Old 19th August 2009, 09:01   #18
BHPian

Many drivers in India have bad habbit of turning their head back while driving.

Applies to both 4wheelers - driver turning back to talk to passengers at the back

2 wheeler - Rider turning back to check (whatever) on a moving vehicle

it is just stupid

If you want to talk to your friends sitting at the back, just use your mouth, no need to look back

Last edited by aerohit : 19th August 2009 at 09:02.
Old 19th August 2009, 20:12   #19

Sawyer :
Please permit me to make a slight correction in your post (#17) here, not your fault. Mostly in India we do not get "Education" but "Literacy". That is one of the primary reasons why we remain uneducated even though we may be highly literate. One can be very educated with nill or very little literacy.
= Shishya =
Old 19th August 2009, 22:08   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post

I am deeply mourned this morning, as there was a huge Accident between 6.30 - 6.40 AM on Outer Ring Road on the junction to Aricent and JP Morgan chase (Prestige Tech Park) and its claimed lives, caused inconvenience to others. Mistake was not to follow signals, not wearing seat belts .
I was referring to this
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ug-2009-a.html
Old 12th July 2016, 14:58   #21
BHPian

Responsible Driver Oath

Here's an idea! I've been thinking of ways to make responsible driving and parking appreciated and considered cool. This can help in more drivers aspiring to be one and thus spread more awareness. Right now, there isn't even a standardized driving lesson. Most of the instructors urge their pupils to 'honk when in doubt' and that becomes a second nature. Same goes with zig zag driving. I've noticed people cutting lanes tens of times in a stretch of one kilometer in rush hour traffic not knowing they are slowing down the whole traffic and causing chaos and is saving at best 10 seconds in his commute. Same goes with proper up keep and pollution control and parking. A lot of things are subconscious, people don't even know they are doing it all wrong.

Here I thought team-bhp can play a role. A lot of industry standards are developed around trade organizations coming together and laying down basic rules. They then go on to become widely accepted standards. Examples will be SAE, ASME, API etc. An organization (?) with the credibility like team-bhp can become that non government body which can give the stamp of approval for responsible driving. We'll need to come up with a good driving code, have an online tutorial for whoever wants to learn from it and we'll need local committees in every city to conduct tests both in theory (computer based) and in practice. If a candidate is found adhering to the code, he/she may be awarded a certificate a decal which says 'Responsible Driver' or something to that effect.

On a side note, I can't stop thinking how big an irony it is when I see a car with the decal "Live to Drive" stuck in rush hour traffic. I think it'll make much more sense if the read "Responsible Driver" instead.
sreeharipv is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 16:01   #22
BHPian

Re: Responsible Driver Oath

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreeharipv View Post
Here's an idea!
It certainly is a good thought Sreehari. But I suppose there is lot more to it than you could probably imagine. In fact, you are visualising a theoretical revolution against standard driving certifications that is in practice for ages now.

But yeah, for enthusiasts we might as well have another sticker added - "Responsible Driver" along with other ones.

Last edited by petrolhead_chn : 12th July 2016 at 16:04.
petrolhead_chn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 18:05   #23
BHPian

Your idea is great. Seriously, but under the driving conditions in India I cant think of a possible way to implement it. However if you can limit your idea to HIGHWAY DRIVING I think it is possible to implement it. If the heavy vehicle drivers and the slow moving vehicles are thought to strictly stick on to the left lane then i'm sure a lot of accidents will be avoided. And similarly use of indicators for lane changes and so on. Just my two bits
just_in is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 19:24   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreeharipv View Post
Here's an idea!

Here I thought team-bhp can play a role. A lot of industry standards are developed around trade organizations coming together and laying down basic rules. They then go on to become widely accepted standards. Examples will be SAE, ASME, API etc. An organization (?) with the credibility like team-bhp can become that non government body which can give the stamp of approval for responsible driving. We'll need to come up with a good driving code, have an online tutorial for whoever wants to learn from it and we'll need local committees in every city to conduct tests both in theory (computer based) and in practice. If a candidate is found adhering to the code, he/she may be awarded a certificate a decal which says 'Responsible Driver' or something to that effect.
That's an awesome idea. Like I would not mind enrolling in a driving course if it was conducted by Team bhp, I'm a 100% confident that I could learn something new for sure.

There's a definite need for a well designed standardised driving course across India with an emphasis on real driving skills rather than just passing the exam.

GTO - this is something that you really ought to consider.
Old 12th July 2016, 19:32   #25
Senior - BHPian

Please bear with me if this sounds like a rant, believe me it is not. We educated Indians, the elite lot if I may put it, are the most hypocritical and rule bending class especially when it suits to our convenience. Maximum violation of road rules, and bad driving etiquette are made by educated, office going, white collared executives, the standard excuse when caught being 'everyone drives this way' or 'i am late because I am blah blah and so very important'. I am sure every educated Indian knows the basic road rules and understands common courtesies, but conveniently forgets to implement the same. Adding any kind of oath or pledge will not help, even showing videos of crashes or god forbid being in one doesn't seem to make a person understand the inherit risks. The only policy which works is the one called 'danda'. When the heavy handed law's stick falls on one's head will one not dare disobey rules. The same set of educated idiots are the most law abiding in US or Eu.
apachelongbow is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 19:41   #26
BHPian

Excellent thought. While we work on the logistics around the Responsible Driver Program, let us ALL take a PLEDGE that we will start with the 6 things below. A simple but effective start. Every TEAM-BHPian who proudly wear the forum stickers on their cars, SHOULD follow and set an example and we could potentially start a revolution.

Slow

Drivers – I'll stay under limits, and slow down to 20mph around schools, homes and shops to protect others. I'll slow right down for bends, brows and bad weather, and avoid overtaking.
Everyone – I'll speak out for slowing down and help drivers understand that the slower they drive, the more chance they have of avoiding a crash and saving a life.

Sober

Drivers – I'll never drive after drinking any alcohol or drugs – not a drop, not a drag.
Everyone - I'll plan ahead to make sure I, and anyone I'm with, can get home safely and I'll never get a lift with drink/drug drivers. I'll speak out if someone's about to drive on drink or drugs.

Secure

Drivers – I'll make sure everyone in my vehicle is belted up on every journey, and kids smaller than 150cm are in a proper child restraint. I'll choose the safest vehicle I can and ensure it's maintained.
Everyone – I'll belt up on every journey, and make sure friends and family do too.

Silent

Drivers – I'll never take or make calls or texts when driving. I'll put my phone out of sight and on silent, and stay focused on the road.
Everyone – I'll never chat on the phone to someone else who's driving.

Sharp

Drivers – I'll get my eyes tested every two years and wear glasses or lenses at the wheel if I need them. I'll take regular breaks and never drive if I'm tired, stressed or on medication that affects driving.
Everyone – I'll look out for friends and loved ones by ensuring they only drive if they're fit for it, and rest if they're tired.

Sustainable

Everyone – I'll minimise the amount I drive, or not drive at all. I'll get about by walking, cycling or public transport as much as I can, for road safety, the environment and my health.

Credits: http://www.brake.org.uk/schools-comm...e-brake-pledge

Last edited by ukamath : 12th July 2016 at 19:47.
ukamath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 21:34   #27
Senior - BHPian

I try to be a responsible driver whenever possible but this city makes it very difficult. I wait for the signal to turn green before I move, even if I have people horning behind me when the countdown timer hits around 5. I stick to one lane and try to avoid zig sagging, but that is difficult because of so many slow drivers who drive in any lane they feel like. Then you have the joy of people from the extreme left taking a right turn and vice versa. I would like to put the "Responsible Driver" sticker on my car too
Old 13th July 2016, 02:02   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukamath View Post
Every TEAM-BHPian who proudly wear the forum stickers on their cars, SHOULD follow and set an example and we could potentially start a revolution.
Within few months, we would have copies of these stickers in local shops and cabbies, auto rickshaw drivers, Tempo Traveler guys etc who have no idea of this revolution or the slightest inclination to follow them will be sporting them with pride. I see more "Live to drive" cabs than private cars these days, and these stickers come in all sorts of colours.

But atleast it would serve the purpose of catching some people's attention.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 13th July 2016 at 02:03.
Old 13th July 2016, 03:12   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
........ I see more "Live to drive" cabs than private cars these days, and these stickers come in all sorts of colours.
Asked a Bangalore cabbie about the sticker - told me it means "Driving is his livelihood!"
No wonder taxis these days are having more "Live to Drive" stickers.

Just had driving test in a foreign country - They make it real hard for you to pass the exam without really studying the law and the road sign. Need to score atleast 86% to pass the exam!
Sedate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 10:10   #30
BHPian

Train the trainer: Educating driving schools across India

I have often thought about this but have never taken it up. If there are like-minded folks on this forum, I am willing to take this up. What better group than this forum to find such people!

Here is my idea in brief: In every major city of India, we should form a group of 10-12 people. We should go round visiting *every* driving school, and offer to teach them some tips for free of cost. These tips include walking them thru a PPT on topics like (incl explaining rationale):
- Dont turn on high-beam
- Use turn indicators rather than hand signals
- On roads that dont have a drawn/solid divider, pls imagine a divider and stick to your side
- Dont honk
- Dont budge inches every now and then when stopped at a signal. Instead, turn off your engine if its a long signal.

Many of these are a cooperative thing that needs the cooperation of all drivers. If even one person breaks the rule, all follow suit. Hence we need to take this to every Indian. The most feasible way of doing this, it seems to me, is to take it to the driving schools. At no charge.

If people are willing, then I volunteer to spend some time compiling such a PPT.

Over time, I see this effort evolving into more sustained activity, such as. Maybe get some sponsors from companies, so that we can get some air time on TV in all channels (incl regional channels), where we can produce and broadcast one tip at random in a short 15 second video.

Clearly our govt/RTO has failed in this regard for the past 7 decades, and hence we citizens need to take up this effort.

Thoughts?
vharihar is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks