Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2009, 17:11   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
"Too early" is the term for us humans
Oncer it is sunset time, the frequency with which you would see the animals near the highway is high and thats the logic behind this.
Balan,
Very well explained.

Some learned forum member also suggested that this highway be kept open 24X7.
What a shame!

It is a 100% right move by the concerned department to shut down the highway from 6 pm onwards. We have alternatives such as rescheduling our time or taking an alternate route, what choice or alternate does the wildlife have?
I too am working hard to get the Hyderabad-Srisailam highway closed by 6PM, which is officially closed at 9PM. This wildlife reserve forest in Andhra Pradesh is the largest in India. 3. 358 square kilometers.

I will soon succeed .

Check this link for full story,

The Tiger on brink of extinction in NSTR, Andhra Pradesh

Regards,
Old 25th August 2009, 09:01   #62
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

look at this morning's TOI Blr. The Nilgiri Traders are up in arms against this rule.

In a way they are right, since it is the only proper not-too-long motorable road granting people access.

However, the question remains, whats the best solution for the poor wildlife that succumbs to road kill?
And what happens to those whose livelihood depends on the use of the road?

As per normal - India being India and Politicos being Politicos, the interests of human beings will be put first and the poor wildlife will be put to risk once again!

Sad, but true. The way it is going, another 2 generations and there wont be any wildlife left in India for the future generations to see.
Old 25th August 2009, 13:02   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
As per normal - India being India and Politicos being Politicos, the interests of human beings will be put first and the poor wildlife will be put to risk once again!

Sad, but true. The way it is going, another 2 generations and there wont be any wildlife left in India for the future generations to see.
This pretty much sums up the whole thing here!

Long live our ignorance!
Old 14th October 2009, 16:10   #64
Senior - BHPian

Sigur Ghats

I am sure many of the people who have driven up the Sigur ghats would have seen the bison view point. Adjacent is a small road that winds down. There are no boards, signs or any indication that a road lies ahead. Last Sunday I went down this road. The forest has been cut to make way and runs through a small stream. Cattle were grazing on the slopes and there was a small shack there. I got into a heated argument with the person there and he claimed it to be a private land. I told him to call his owner and will settle it with him rather than haggle with him. Yes, he wanted me to pay Rs.500 for coming down the road. I shared my most decent vocabulary with him and told him to call his owner, the guy sobered down and just left from there.
Attached a picture to show something thats being cultivated in the valley. Just for your information, nothing of this is visible from the main road.
Isn't this equally important KANS?
Attached Thumbnails
Highway through bandipur and MooleHole : Closed now for night traffic-11102009.jpg  

Last edited by beejay : 14th October 2009 at 16:17. Reason: typo error
Old 25th October 2009, 18:31   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
I am sure many of the people who have driven up the Sigur ghats would have seen the bison view point. Adjacent is a small road that winds down. There are no boards, signs or any indication that a road lies ahead. Last Sunday I went down this road.
Attached a picture to show something thats being cultivated in the valley. Just for your information, nothing of this is visible from the main road.
Isn't this equally important KANS?

Hi
The land beside bison view point should a privately held property. I am not exactly sure but thats what a local broker told me. There are lot of grey areas in that stretch. Hence I am not so sure. The road you mentioned should be some agricultural track used to lift agri produce from the valley below. Last year it was into this valley the local bus fell and nobody is still sure of number of the dead. It is pretty steep fall but nobody driving on the top can actually see / feel the steepness. It was only after the accident that even most locals saw what lies underneath the slopes there.
Best regards
Balan
Old 25th October 2009, 19:44   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balan View Post
Hi
The land beside bison view point should a privately held property. I am not exactly sure but thats what a local broker told me. There are lot of grey areas in that stretch. Hence I am not so sure. The road you mentioned should be some agricultural track used to lift agri produce from the valley below. Last year it was into this valley the local bus fell and nobody is still sure of number of the dead. It is pretty steep fall but nobody driving on the top can actually see / feel the steepness. It was only after the accident that even most locals saw what lies underneath the slopes there.
Best regards
Balan
The bus fell into the gorge in the last bend, the bison view point is above all this, the cultivation is a clear encroachment into the forest.

Sigh, wish the activists are more bothered about things like this than blocking off highways.

Grazing off cattle into forest land is also a serious offense, all of which is done in these regions.

I was there in my friends farm in Thorapally today and even there a large private educational institution has a farm which is let into the forest, fenced from all sides, curious, does this not block the migratory route of animals, my friends farm is also in the same vicinity and the moyar river passes adjacent his property. He grows and tenders cultivation in a manner as to not hamper wildllife.

These are more serious concerns, than putting speed breakers every half km.

FYI Balan, last weekend there was an Endeavour from Chennai that went on a illegal safari into the forest. The bonnet and fender was damaged. The owner did not bother and was more proud in showing me the same. Find out how the vehicle was damaged. Many here would puke on knowing the reason.
Old 26th October 2009, 15:58   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
FYI Balan, last weekend there was an Endeavour from Chennai that went on a illegal safari into the forest. The bonnet and fender was damaged. The owner did not bother and was more proud in showing me the same. Find out how the vehicle was damaged. Many here would puke on knowing the reason.
For the fellas who will not puke, do you mind sharing the reason? C'mon, don't leave us hanging !
Old 26th October 2009, 16:20   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
For the fellas who will not puke, do you mind sharing the reason? C'mon, don't leave us hanging !
Went on an illegal safari into the forest and run into a deer, intentionally.

The guys were sloshed and accompanied by the guys who serve at the resort.

Supposedly the deer went under and scrambled for life.
Old 26th October 2009, 16:44   #69
Senior - BHPian

@ Beejay: Sad to know about the deer. I think our kids would be the biggest losers of the attitude which we show to nature. Am sure you are aware of the amount of cattle grazing which happens in the Bandipur forests near Gopalswamy Betta, NGO's also seem to be keen on issues which seem to be more fashionable, obviously News channels chase TRP's.

On Friday I went to Vandalur Zoo with my kids hoping a week day would allow peaceful time. All I got to see was couples spending time together at almost all benches.
Old 27th October 2009, 00:23   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Went on an illegal safari into the forest and run into a deer, intentionally.

The guys were sloshed and accompanied by the guys who serve at the resort.

Supposedly the deer went under and scrambled for life.
Now you know why they block highways passing through forests
Old 27th October 2009, 09:19   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Now you know why they block highways passing through forests
This wasn't the highway. This was on a cut into the forest. A mud road.
Old 27th October 2009, 09:59   #72
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I hope that Divine retribution overtakes the owner driver and passengers of that Endeavour from Chennai.

Personally I feel they should all be taken out and shot.

The trouble is too much money, too little education (in the true sense of the word) and a feeling that Power and Money lets these people get away with anything including murder - look at Salman Khan the great fool of a would be shikari - shooting endangered species like Black buck and still going scot free!

I hope they continue to keep the highway closed at night. Also wish that some day India has a para military type of force to protect our irreplaceable wildlife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
@ Beejay: Sad to know about the deer. I think our kids would be the biggest losers of the attitude which we show to nature. Am sure you are aware of the amount of cattle grazing which happens in the Bandipur forests near Gopalswamy Betta, NGO's also seem to be keen on issues which seem to be more fashionable, obviously News channels chase TRP's.

On Friday I went to Vandalur Zoo with my kids hoping a week day would allow peaceful time. All I got to see was couples spending time together at almost all benches.
Old 27th October 2009, 18:44   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The trouble is too much money, too little education (in the true sense of the word) and a feeling that Power and Money lets these people get away with anything including murder - look at Salman Khan the great fool of a would be shikari - shooting endangered species like Black buck and still going scot free!

I hope they continue to keep the highway closed at night. Also wish that some day India has a para military type of force to protect our irreplaceable wildlife.
unless we have a strong enforcement system, there wont be any correction of attitude. We already have enough laws but no proper enforcement.
Once when I was a volunteer in a elephant census, the forest people caught a sonata with ample proof as he had hit a deer on high speed on highway and the deer was injured badly, and locals had seen it and reported at the checkpost by phone which resulted in the forest guards stopping the vehicle. He was left after a fine of 25000 after lot of strings were pulled. The low amount of fine was since the deer was "just injured and not yet dead" all this within 2 hours. After he was left off, the deer died as it didnt have much chance.

Best regards
Bala
Old 28th October 2009, 12:52   #74
BHPian

Tiger escapes being run over

There was a news article with a photo in the Hindu today of tiger nearly getting run over by over speeding car in The Mudumalai- Bandhipur area. The photo was taken by another traveler.

The article mentions that over speeding in this forest area by cars is very common and pose a threat the wild life. I am unable to locate a on line link to the article.
Old 28th October 2009, 12:56   #75
BHPian

It is in The Hindu. The Hindu : National : Steps sought to prevent animals from being hit
I am a bit peeved by the caption: 'SURPRISE INTRUDER'. Who is the intruder here? The tiger? I would think the vehicles and passengers are the intruders. I am all for closing the sanctuary permanently for road traffic.

Most Viewed