Team-BHP - Your First cycle ride
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Bicycles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bicycles/)
-   -   Your First cycle ride (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bicycles/51729-your-first-cycle-ride.html)

This thread will be the stage for all of us to narrate - what will surely be one of the most memorable events in our lives - Our first Cycle Ride

I'll go first!
My first cycle ride (Not the three wheeler one :-) ) was in Punjab- Jallandhar to be exact. Since my dad was an army officer, we stayed in the army quarters. We used to have a batman(Term for 'military helper to officers') named Ratan singh. Every evening sharp at 4 PM, Ratan singh would come blazing down the road to his quarters (Behind our house) and in one smooth swift motion, would guide his cycle up an inclined plane into the cycle parking area. This always used to inspire awe for Mr.'Hero' cycle (interesting pun). Anyway, It just happened to be one of those summer days in may, when dad finally told Ratan singh to teach me to ride the bike. The chap agreed, and then the saga began.

Now being a tad on the heavy side,and not yet having learnt physics at school (inertia, centre of gravity and all that), I assumed I'd just have to sit on the cycle and zoom away (Big mistake!) Well, I plonked on the seat (with assistance), and waited on top of the inclined parking area, with ratan singh holding onto the carrier. I guess he was going to guide me down smoothly, but the young whipper snapper I was, I just couldn't wait - and stepped hard on the pedals, and flew down the ramp ( probably 3 feet long), and felt the wind on my face, sensed pure exhilaration- all at the same time. It was then that Mr. Newton intervened and brought my aspirations to ground level.

The funny thing about your first ride is - there are 3 distinct phases

1)The initial wobble phase - this is where you intensely concentrate on the cycle handle, and look at the front tyre while putting your foot to the pedal for the first time. Of course the mind does not deduce what lies ahead - so you and the bike or you alone - wobble for a distance of approximately 6-8 feet. This is also the phase where you forget to pedal!

2)The realization Phase- When the brain does finally comprehend the monstrosity of the situation and the repercussions. But it's too late to turn back now. So Heart pumping adrenaline at unheard of rates, you try to pedal!
You also realize - a)That your feet simply don't seem to be making contact with the pedals b) That You Will Fall soon c)That the guy who was supposed to hold on would be standing rock still, enjoying the bizzare spectacle with a smirk. d)That your mom will be terribly pissed in ten minutes time e)That you simply won't be able to avoid making a fool out of yourself in front of at least 15 people f) That Mr.Newton is waiting to teach you - in 2 minutes, what he spent a lifetime discovering.

3)Phase of hopelessness and the Fall - This is when your brain tries to figure out the optimal position to adopt when you finally hit the ground!. The initial part of this stage is a feeling of intense heaviness on your chest, the churning of your tummy and the sound of your heart beating in your head!. The end phase is of course when you finally make your 'calculated' descent sideways. Looking like the bubblegum under someone's shoe!

Well, to cut things short ( :-)) I lost my 'paint' to the road, and the evening was spent getting tinctures applied to my knees and the TT shot.

More interesting stories will follow

Now your turn!