Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2009, 10:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

@lohithrao: Bad experience! But I guess this happens all the time in our Bangalore roads!

But, sad that this fellow did not bother to check with you, instead tried to get away!!!

I had a similar experience where I actually drove the wheels on tops of a bare footed mechanic, who parked his bike close to my car and had placed his leg just in front of my tire! It was a traffic stop. So when I got some space, I move a bit and the tire went over and down! I realized it was his foot only when he knocked on the glass and asked me why I did it!!!

I said sorry and all that... but what actually helped (at least this time) was that, this fellow was fully drunk!!! He just start feeling sad that I ran over his leg but drove off! Phew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

> And if he had not run and apologized ?

I would have smiled back and waved him on. I know, I have done that before.
True! If one apologizes, there is nothing better to it. Had one guy read end, with his bike, on my car's bumper. As soon I looked at the read mirror noticed him with his hand up and saying sorry thru his helmet. Just waved back with a smile and went ahead. When he over took me just after that, I rolled down my window and he again said 'sorry' and I said 'take care' and we went our way!
Old 9th January 2009, 11:12   #17
BHPian

This sort of thing has happened with me a couple of times. Sometimes you have idiots who are just not bothered enough to apologize.

However I have also found that there are people who may feel sorry but don't know how to apologize to a stranger. They actually don't realize an apology is better than running away. I remember a young guy - a chauffeur for another car, who slightly dented my front fender while changing lanes. He scooted away. I knew the damage was unlikely to be serious but I went after him because I was angry that he didn't bother to apologize. I managed to stop him and when I asked why he didn't stop immediately after his car hit mine, his answer was "I thought you will shout, so I tried to get away." At least he admitted that much.

You can see that attitude several times - people who rear-end you or come on the wrong side and make you brake - they often just look away, try not to meet your eyes and pretend nothing happened. It is often a question of just not having the guts to apologize.
Old 9th January 2009, 12:07   #18
BHPian

A similar thing happened to me a couple of weeks back. Was going to office in EC stopped at Hosa Road junction because the wardens were letting the traffic across the intersection. I was on descent behind a truck on the extreme right and kept my left foot down. A Santro guy had stopped well behind me. Suddenly for some reason he decided to move forward and luckily stopped when his front tyre contacted my foot. He realised there was something beneath. I gave him a stare. He looked at me sheepishly and then turned away from me. I have even got my foot run over by a truck a couple of years back. Luckily since I had shoes on both times, I escaped without major damage.
Old 9th January 2009, 15:36   #19
BHPian

Looks like I am not the only one who have run over two wheeler rider's foot. I was lucky that the said rider's foot was not completely run over. Just a little bit. He pointed it out and I just reversed the car a bit. Apologised and all was well.
My hypothesis for these kind of incidents? While driving, we mentally draw a box around each and every vehicle/person on road. Unfortunately, a bike rider leaning with his feet astride is out of this imaginary box and hence this many incidents.
I request fellow bikers to consider this and not conclude that the car driver was rash or stupid. Don't know if it is possible (haven't ridden a bike since 1995), but while at signal, keep the legs within a bull bar or other physical extension of your bike.
Old 9th January 2009, 15:44   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

As i drive both a car and bike, so i am aware about their predicaments of street travel. What's being discussed here happens so very often, i don't know if its worth discussion.

Traffic these days in most cities is so enormous with so little space for everyone to squeeze themselves out, it does happen. Sometimes a biker tries to squeeze between cars or vice-versa.

As long as its not done intentionally/foolishly, like not looking while driving it's fine. If we take panga with each and everyone who brushes you on the street. We can forget about going to office and stay on roads fighting all day long.
Old 9th January 2009, 15:50   #21
BHPian

Yeah agree completely with mobike008.
Old 9th January 2009, 16:07   #22
Senior - BHPian

Ok I must admit this, have done what Lohit went thru to a biker . I was at Vyalikaval signal and its jam packed, out of nowhere a biker in a pulsar with his lappie hung on his back squeezes thru and manages to nick my car.

I say oyiee and he doesnt even have the decency to say " Sorry " !! Traffic chugs along for a few feet and I dont let him pass ( he is on the left side of my car). His bike leans and the crash gaurd touches my car once again .

Traffic moves and he tries to squeeze in again, only to be caught between my car and a car on his left. He puts his right foot down and before I realize my car is on his feet.

He knocks the left window screaming and showing some action. I am like " yes what happened" ? My windows are closed with the AC running, he then points out and says move forward.

To make matters worse I turn the steering wheel a little to the right while its on his foot and he yells again. I was laughing in glee at the helpless biker, even though I knew I was wrong. I dint utter a word and waited to see his reaction. He never reacted and took off once the signal opened up for us.

We drive on and once I reach Sankey Tank I see the dude has stopped his bike, taken off his shoes and is checking his right foot.

I simply cant fathom why did he have to squeeze thru cars and make his way. When everyone waits why cant he ?
Old 9th January 2009, 16:31   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
What angers me is that dude dint bother to see or ask if he had hurt me.. nor did he apologise. with such insane people on road we surely need to be careful...

am really pissed grrrrrrrr
IMO, as he was with his girlfriend...hence could not help himself of telling you sorry to you.
Old 9th January 2009, 16:41   #24
Senior - BHPian

RJ style: well done, man I hate these kind of stupid Bangalore bikers so much that its difficult for me to describe in words, and its only because of their attitude. The buggers dont even have the minutest decency to say sorry if they scratch a car, or hit the outside rear view mirror. I have lost count of the numkber of times I have chased them, caught them and given them a piece of my mind. Retarded morons, theres no other phrase to describe these ill mannered and rash bikers!!
Old 9th January 2009, 16:51   #25
Senior - BHPian

Lot of experiences there anyways my anger was only that guy was firstly stupid to come so close to my bike and secondly after the incident he dint have the decency to apologize.
Old 9th January 2009, 17:17   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Ok I must admit this, have done what Lohit went thru to a biker . I was at Vyalikaval signal and its jam packed, out of nowhere a biker in a pulsar with his lappie hung on his back squeezes thru and manages to nick my car.

I say oyiee and he doesnt even have the decency to say " Sorry " !! Traffic chugs along for a few feet and I dont let him pass ( he is on the left side of my car). His bike leans and the crash gaurd touches my car once again .
These kind of things happen always especially with the auto drivers. I just yell at them. But unfortunately they cannot hear as the glasses of my car will be up. Couple of times I have rolled down my glass and yelled at them. They will just see whatz the damage and continue with their driving. I will be fuming but will have to cool down as the traffic has to move on. I cannot stop the car and start the fight with these guys.
Old 9th January 2009, 21:36   #27
BHPian

You can not blame only to the Biker/Car driver. Its depends on the driver. I have also seen many Car drives like a stupid.
Old 11th January 2009, 01:05   #28
BHPian

A similar thing happened to me a couple of years ago.

I was standing in a building compound with a friend and drinking tea at a shop.

A car comes into the compound and parks it right in front of us. After a couple of minutes, thinking that the car has already been parked for sometime, me and my friend keep the tea cup on the dicky of the car and start chatting. Suddenly the car reversed and drove right over my foot and stops . I was about to shout when a lady comes out of the car and sees me drinking tea on her dicky and starts yelling at me.

Took me a couple of minutes to explain her that actually my foot was under her tyre and hence I was unable to move from my present position .

The lady took a good two more minutes to start her car and move ahead.

Fortunately I was wearing a boot and also seems my feet is strong (used to be a football player in my school days).

Now I keep my tea cup in my hand whenever I am drinking tea.
Old 11th January 2009, 01:50   #29
Senior - BHPian

better off leave that tea drinking habit .and don't claim here that ladies drive badly .
--
I got bike and car.I love bikes more.I ride bikes more and I can 100% tell that at least 90% of present biker population in our country(cities especially) are simply hanging with bikes because they are not yearning enough to afford a car.I expect tata nano to bring a positive change.
otoh ,those who feels they can drive cars better are not really worth that.- and in that case ,no other way except if you can afford a chauffeur driven car.
I recently understood that some so called experts cant drive their cars without Left Hand mirror!dont know to play with brakes to glow brake lamps in city for every other purposes to save their cars from speeding bikes.(a simple brake light flashing before a sudden stop will help your precious car's rear side not hit by a careless biker).
Stopped the rant.go!

Last edited by deepclutch : 11th January 2009 at 01:53.
Old 11th January 2009, 11:18   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
(a simple brake light flashing before a sudden stop will help your precious car's rear side not hit by a careless biker).
Stopped the rant.go!
I think a thin FILM installed car also help biker to avoid ramming them. A biker can see the Front road through the Cars WindScreen with out any problem at day time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks