Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2009, 17:58   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
I recently understood that some so called experts cant drive their cars without Left Hand mirror!dont know to play with brakes to glow brake lamps in city for every other purposes to save their cars from speeding bikes.(a simple brake light flashing before a sudden stop will help your precious car's rear side not hit by a careless biker).
Stopped the rant.go!
So you think that having a LHS ORVM is a sign of weakness?

Well, Sir, next time you are overtaking me from the wrong side, I shall ignore the mirror and weave to the left and get you killed.
Old 11th January 2009, 21:08   #32
Senior - BHPian

Not for any controversy.but normally ,here(kochin) sane 4 wheeler guys wont swerve left in city traffic.almost everyone knows there will be some bike guy in the left doing their chase.
Old 11th January 2009, 23:58   #33
BHPian

Quote:
I recently understood that some so called experts cant drive their cars without Left Hand mirror!
I second Immortalz. I would actually be wary of a driver who keeps either or both the ORVMs closed.
Old 12th January 2009, 00:40   #34
BHPian

I have got so used to the LORVM that if I drive a car without it, I feel handicapped.
Old 12th January 2009, 15:53   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not for any controversy.but normally ,here(kochin) sane 4 wheeler guys wont swerve left in city traffic.almost everyone knows there will be some bike guy in the left doing their chase.
Driving in Cochin by itself is an insane choice. I know many 4 wheeler owners who, if they want to get something done in Cochin city, park their rides at the outskirts and take an auto to wherever they want. It is good for your mental health and your ride's paintjob/external accessories.

If you try overtaking me on the left, I'm not going to give way to you if you get in trouble and if you try being McSmartyPants, I'll cut you off. I've left a wannabe racer WagonR on the curb and I'll do it again.
Old 12th January 2009, 16:08   #36
Senior - BHPian

well ,I guess nothing can be done in that case.I am pretty much comfortable driving in cochin.only think is patience.you cant do ANYTHING when some one overtake you from LHS,be it auto,bike or even a KSRTC bus. reality speaks!I drive for past 12 years.I reiterate - No need for LHS ORVM .It is the training.I am sure ,those who drive daily in cochin must be accustomed to this.
ELSE :
Get yourself trained at UMS Driving School Coimbatore or some such places in cochin like I saw an ad of A2Z Driving school who got City driving training - helps to ease the tension/BP drivers from Kottayam,Thrivendrum etc who panics when cramped inside a regular congestion here.No Offense meant.reality is!
Old 12th January 2009, 16:19   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass View Post
I second Immortalz. I would actually be wary of a driver who keeps either or both the ORVMs closed.
Even Some people dont have fitted at all. You can see Many Cabs drive in this way in Bangalore.
Old 12th January 2009, 16:26   #38
BHPian

The problem is overpopulation. If every family have 1 kid (or less(adoption)) then traffic situation can improve and we all can breath fresh air without getting pushed by people. Until then the never ending complaining will go on forever.

I tend to give more respect to such families.

Last edited by aerohit : 12th January 2009 at 16:31.
Old 12th January 2009, 16:36   #39
BHPian

Driving these days in the big cities is almost equivalent to fighting a lion without any limbs. You can see whats happening, but cant do anything about it. Road rage is going to take a big toll on all of us some day or the other.
The worst part in these kind of encounters is the apathy shown by the traffic cops. They only be a part of the situation if its going to get them good money or its some very impt person involved in the situation. Else they just look around & turn a blind eye to the situation.
Old 12th January 2009, 16:44   #40
Senior - BHPian

agree with aerohit and maverick...i cant imagine what would be the state after 10yrs
Old 12th January 2009, 18:31   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
well ,I guess nothing can be done in that case.I am pretty much comfortable driving in cochin.only think is patience.you cant do ANYTHING when some one overtake you from LHS,be it auto,bike or even a KSRTC bus. reality speaks!I drive for past 12 years.I reiterate - No need for LHS ORVM .It is the training.I am sure ,those who drive daily in cochin must be accustomed to this.
ELSE :
Get yourself trained at UMS Driving School Coimbatore or some such places in cochin like I saw an ad of A2Z Driving school who got City driving training - helps to ease the tension/BP drivers from Kottayam,Thrivendrum etc who panics when cramped inside a regular congestion here.No Offense meant.reality is!
I didn't say I actively prevent people from overtaking on the left. I just said I didn't care about them. As for not needing an LHS ORVM, well, we'll see if you still think that after you get sideswiped by someone who doesn't use it. I've seen it plenty of times on the road.

As for training myself to be an unsafe driver, no thanks. Besides, I have no options for disabling my LHS ORVM. It's either both open or both closed. Unfortunately for me, Honda didn't provide a facility for partially irresponsible and unsafe driving. Maruthi are great in that respect tho.

I don't panic in crowded situations. I go through TVM city traffic every day at peak hours. There are vehicles ranging from 2 to 16 wheelers occupying every inch of space around my vehicle in some stretches. Don't tell me in Cochin, the vehicles fly overhead too?
Old 13th January 2009, 00:18   #42
BHPian

Quote:
I drive for past 12 years.I reiterate - No need for LHS ORVM .It is the training.I am sure ,those who drive daily in cochin must be accustomed to this.
Driving on Indian roads is making guesses and approximations. You can surely drive without a rear view mirrors, you can even drive blind folded. Question is how good your guesses are when you drive thus? The more information you have about the roads and traffic around, the better you can drive.

There is nothing great about driving without any mirrors, many scooterists do that. It only means that you are driving insensitively without adequate knowledge of what is to your left and what is to your rear. I had driven my dad's scooter with no mirrors long enough and never realized any problem. But now if I try driving it, I understand how much of a nuisance I am to other road users, driving that way.
Old 13th January 2009, 01:26   #43
Senior - BHPian

This is not a show off dear.and not about guess work either.It is like almost predictable when someone is overtaking you from LHS.unlike trucks or covered vehicles ,with cars ,it is not really a must.
and with Bikes ,I guess the two mirrors are necessary.
Old 13th January 2009, 05:43   #44
BHPian

Quote:
lucky me!I am staying in a town ,miles away from the congested city traffic(in my case kochi).
I use car and bike on a daily basis to know better.Bikers are mostly irresponsible(sorry to say!).and then there is this few ma'ams and gentlemen car/4 wheeler commuters who only looks straight.no vision goes to side ways ,LHS side especially.so bad!
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Lohith,
The other thing I've started doing of late, and something that I've found to give me great relief, is to use the Vajra Volvos for city commute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
RJ style: well done, man I hate these kind of stupid Bangalore bikers so much that its difficult for me to describe in words, and its only because of their attitude.Retarded morons, theres no other phrase to describe these ill mannered and rash bikers!!

gentlemen kindly see this from a biker's perspective as well,

- yes i agree most of the two wheeler riders are rash. zig zag riding, finding the impossible gaps to cut through, hovering dangerously near your cars etc etc. and most of the times they injure themselves more since they hardly bother about their own safety.

- but its not that people CHANGE in cars either its the same lot, its just that a car cant do that much of a zig-zag movement since it occupies much more road space and thus you cant really have "gaps" to cut through.

I had been almost (deathly-almost that is) narrow escapes when i was doing 110-120kmph on the nh4 toll road from nelmangala-tumkur and this fellow in a safari dicor in the left lane at 70-80's suddenly makes a cut (not a gentle , indicated lane change) into my lane without any apparant reason (there was nothing in front of him). Had i not braked propely i'd have hit him.

another incident occured just before tumkur. before you enter tumkur there's a diversion for a road entering tumkur while the NH4 splits and goes towards the right headed for pune.

now this Santro xing driver is on the LEFTMOST side of the left lane, i am also in the left lane (but to the right of the santro a bit faster than the santro) since i am going to enter tumkur.this santro fellow goes leftmost to rightmost lane (heading for the Nh4)without any indication (no turn signals or hand signals) I had to turn ALONG with him since i couldnt have braked (he'd have hit me) , I am sure i was not riding in his blindspot area(s) in either of A,B,C pillars. i should have been in the RVM.

please note though:

btw paying back them in their own coin is good, but do realise that even a slightest bump to a biker at city speeds can be fatal. how ? because most do not wear helmets, and even if they do they dont strap it on. so what's the use of a helmet ? the helmet just goes off the head during a fall and thus the head bounces like a crash dummy's head on the tarmac

before you start taking venegence on two wheeler motorists kindly exclude the likes of me who are in full protective gear + responsible riding !
Old 13th January 2009, 07:31   #45
Team-BHP Support

I am in office.

Had to come in early because of some urgent work. However am still browsing thru team-bhp instead of starting work.

anyways. Open road, chill in the air, on bike with decent gear.
I am flying low.
About less than 1/2 km ahead of my office is a left turn.
As I approach it I starting cutting down my speed.
For me the first and last km is always done at a very relaxed speed.

As I get into the turn an auto guy cuts to the right.

IF I was at the same speeds I was doing earlier I would have gone thru the auto.

The auto guy at fault. Maybe.
My fault most certainly.

The near miss we have never counts. All it takes is one bad nudge.

Thanks god.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks