Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2009, 21:17   #1
BHPian

Attitude & reactions towards women drivers on Indian roads

I have seen quite a few guys following girls who drive and try to mess with them. one of my friends did that and when i asked him why he did that, he just shrugged and smiled.

i have a girl who drives and she drives pretty well. and almost every other day she keeps getting followed by some guy on a bike or even guys in cars keep messing with her. and the best part is they come to mess with her and almost every single time i was present she beat them.

once she was having some prob with her car and it kept stalling. some guy actually thought she was a rookie and tried messing with her. somehow the problem got sorted and she took off from there. the guy came onto orkut and posted her registration number and asked if it was a girl who was driving. when asked why, he said that he messed with her thinking her to be a rookie and he in his own words said that his ego was hurt and wanted to know who she was and where she stayed.

almost everyday i see some girl or the other being followed or being made fun of just because they are driving. i saw atleast 6 incidents where the guys actually scared the girls that they either stopped to the side or fell off and were injured.

my question is are we so primitive that we cannot accept a woman driving?? sorry for such a big post.
civ4647 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2009, 22:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

Some people just cannot drive on the road but like to trouble others especially the fairer gender.

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th January 2009 at 20:15. Reason: Post edited. Please note that even hinting towards inappropriate language is against the Team-BHP rules.
Old 11th January 2009, 23:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Damn.
The only reason i chase a girl's car is when i am in my dreams.

Some people have nothing to do but try and create nuisance.
Not only to the girls but many more.
I've personally seen people follow cars which have a guy and a girl and black tints.
Old 11th January 2009, 23:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

Something to do with Indian mentality. Another thing..

God forbid if they get overtaken by a lady driver, brings out the beast in them. They have to overtake her turn head to the side during the overtake manuvere.... give a quick 1/2 second look and then speed off.

I think the 1/2 second glance with head turn means, "hey look here lady, Its OK if you people drive and all that, but you need to be slow and keep to the left and can't be overtaking hot blooded males like me"

Last edited by Mpower : 12th January 2009 at 00:33.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2009, 00:01   #5

DEJA VU!!! My Girlfriend is Blisteringly Fast on her Honda Dio. Recently, I was following her in my Fiat and I actually coudnt keep up with her on certain roads!!
Old 12th January 2009, 00:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

All bloody frustrated despos trying their luck!
Old 12th January 2009, 00:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

If it is in south(most probably!) ,then consider it the effect of madras cinema(tamil or telegu) ,I for one ,remembers many a movies where any cutie going on a bike/car are chased to end up with love .this mentality is strongly rooted may be with these fellas.
Why NOT let girls drive?
Old 12th January 2009, 00:55   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
DEJA VU!!! My Girlfriend is Blisteringly Fast on her Honda Dio. Recently, I was following her in my Fiat and I actually coudnt keep up with her on certain roads!!

KARAMBA, all the same just that I was in my Amby.
Old 12th January 2009, 01:32   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
If it is in south(most probably!) ,then consider it the effect of madras cinema(tamil or telegu) ,I for one ,remembers many a movies where any cutie going on a bike/car are chased to end up with love .this mentality is strongly rooted may be with these fellas.
Why NOT let girls drive?

What is this? the '80s?
Old 15th January 2009, 22:53   #10
BHPian

Well my roomie still doesnt accept that some females did a himalayan trip on bullets

well in general cars are for boys, bikes are for boys and only scooty's are for females, and just cause most of the females prefer going at moderate speeds without bursts in acceleration people consider that they're scared drivers !

I usually give a thumbs up to females driving nicely and properly (i.e proper lane, indicated moves, etc) while i pass em on my bike.
Old 16th January 2009, 02:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

Male chauvinism? The insecurity of the fairer sex being able to do what men can do.
There was an incident (not sure if it was in Pondicherry, or some other city) 8-10 years ago.A bunch of guys would tease a girl riding her Sunny,and never let her ride in peace.She even ended falling off the bike on a few occassions, hurting herself.
One fine day, she got 15 of her friends to ride with her,and they targetted 2 guys from that group.They did the very same thing, teasing the guys and not letting them get away.
Good lesson learnt,finally!
Old 16th January 2009, 02:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

Its all over India.

2-3 months ago my girl was driving my car and we were just crusing at 70 km/hr crossed some guys on bikes.
Suddenly they overtook us from both sides with their 100cc machines crying for mercy,and then started showing some stupid antics.
Old 16th January 2009, 04:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

I have noticed all of the following

Staring
Pointing a finger
Riding side by side and staring
overtaking and showing stunts
tailgating (following closely)
cutting in front
Old 16th January 2009, 07:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

Its about the great indian mentality, add to that the attitude they have seen over the years.
And the fact is that they are in groups just worsens the matter. I have seen this many times that a single female driver, irrespective of vehicle ( four wheeler or two wheeler ), are being teased by guys. They are more dangerous when they are in four wheeler and the lady is on two wheeler.
There is only one solution to this, strong law and honest police force to strictly implement that law. But,we we know, we are in India, so don't expect things to improve at a good pace in positive direction.

Usually when I am driving or riding, I really dont mind being overtaken by anyone. If somebody wants to go faster than what I am going, they have a right to overtake me.

One small incidence happened on NE-1 ( National express highway 1, between Vadodara-A'bad ). Our family was going to A'bad and I was driving Baleno. I saw that another black Baleno was doing high speed and so I gave way to that baleno. But when that car was overtaking me, I saw a lady driver and other passenger was also a lady. She must be doing 140. But the thought of even chasing or overtaking never came to my mind.

Unfortunately those who do this kind of activity ( it happens on express highways too ), are from the so called good families also.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 16th January 2009 at 07:17.
Old 19th January 2009, 09:49   #15
BHPian

I think it is more to do with the way womenfolk are looked at. I have seen a lady driving Safari in Forum road, Bangalore, and despite driving that behemoth,she did not terrorize any one on the road, gave proper indication and was driving peacefully. It was a sight to behold. I really doubt a male sitting in that car would have behaved the way she did, respecting right of way.

On a general note, I don't care if some one overtakes me. Some times people do stupid maneuvers just to overtake and that is when it gets on my nerves, be it a man or woman driver.

Nainar
anainar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks