Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2009, 14:19   #46
BHPian

This strech of highway reminds me of the farcical Formula 1 race in Indy when nearly 80% of the contestants were advised against racing due to a possibility of tyre burst. One of the racers was seriously hurt, but Bridgestone (if i remember right) said they were confident of their tyres and Ferrari won..
Old 20th January 2009, 18:24   #47
BHPian

how about nitrogen?

hi guys i went through the post bfore i got my new tyres...i bought yokhama geo lander stock size for my forester..i have filled dem with nitrogen..i was told nitrogen is very good for the tyres & are usually used in aircrafts..it will help the cooling of tyres & also gives a smooth drive on small pot holes..also is filled proffesionally..the only draw back is its not avavilable in too many places in the city...please let me know if what i have done is right?
Old 6th February 2009, 16:56   #48
BHPian

AFAIK most indian cars come with Tyres which have a speed rating of atleast 'S', which means safety at speeds upto 180kmph. But this is given air pressure is maitained correctly. An under-inflated tyre obviously nullifies the speed rating.
Old 6th February 2009, 18:27   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandishpal View Post

i have filled dem with nitrogen..i was told nitrogen is very good for the tyres & are usually used in aircrafts..it will help the cooling of tyres & also gives a smooth drive on small pot holes..also is filled proffesionally..the only draw back is its not avavilable in too many places in the city...please let me know if what i have done is right?
IMO, you have done nothing wrong.
Well in F1 cars also, IIRC, Nitrogen is used. Usually air will expand on heating, this can be troublesome if the temperature reaches very high. In India, during summers, this problem is faced. So filling in nitrogen is not a wrong thing to do. If one is doing a lot of high speed driving, this is a must considering the indian climate ( usually hot ).

What I dont know is that what if once one has filled in nitrogen and then next time he uses regular air inflating ? Do the tyres first of all need to be deflated and then nitrogen can be put in and when one has to switch back to air, does the tyres need to be deflated for all the nitrogen to first escpae and then we can fill air ?
Old 8th February 2009, 12:34   #50
BANNED

Technically, a properly inflated tire should not overheat, as a rule of thumb, during long distance driving in summers, keep your cold tire pressure +2psi than recommended and you will be safe.
Old 8th February 2009, 12:43   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Do the tyres first of all need to be deflated and then nitrogen can be put in and when one has to switch back to air, does the tyres need to be deflated for all the nitrogen to first escpae and then we can fill air ?
No need for this, Aggo!
You can start filling compressed air into the 'nitrogened' tyres. After all, air is also 78 % nitrogen.
More important than Nitrogen vs compressed air is that it should be DRY gas/air that is used.
If the PRESSURE and DRYNESS are kept same, no one will feel any difference between the two!
Old 8th February 2009, 13:34   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
Technically, a properly inflated tire should not overheat, as a rule of thumb, during long distance driving in summers, keep your cold tire pressure +2psi than recommended and you will be safe.
Is that supposed to be +2psi or -2psi?

Wouldn't the long run on a summer increase the pressure more than usual.
Old 8th February 2009, 14:01   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Is that supposed to be +2psi or -2psi?

Wouldn't the long run on a summer increase the pressure more than usual.
No HappyWheels.
You keep 2 psi MORE than recommended (cold) tyre pressure.
The heating produced is NOT because of the initial pressure you start with; it is because of excessive tyrewall flexing of an under-inflated tyre.
Old 8th February 2009, 14:38   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
No HappyWheels.
You keep 2 psi MORE than recommended (cold) tyre pressure.
The heating produced is NOT because of the initial pressure you start with; it is because of excessive tyrewall flexing of an under-inflated tyre.
Wow! Never thought in these lines! On long trips, I used to think that over-inflating will lead to more damage than good and it is better to under-inflate!

Got one of my understanding and a fact right today. Thanks Gurka & Anup!

Most Viewed