Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2009, 15:40   #16
Team-BHP Support

Or they banged over potholes, damamging the carcasse creating an eventual burst. Also they must have braked hard causing the venhicle to topple and as Ntirous said - no seat belts!
Old 14th January 2009, 15:45   #17
Senior - BHPian

Lohit
Tyre pressure is not dictated by the tyre size. It depends on the vehicle and its weight etc. It's generally written on the B-pillar of the car on the driver's side.
Benbsb - I stand corrected. I confused the brand name with Ford Mondeo. Sorry once again.
Sudipto

Last edited by Sudipto-S-Team : 14th January 2009 at 15:49.
Old 14th January 2009, 16:37   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
If he has ignored his tyres or decided to run on worn tyres thinking nothing will happen, this is bound to happen.
How badly maintained could the tyres have been, considering that its a May 2008 car? Plus, the Montero is a CBU and comes with Japanese made tyres which are of pretty high quality.

Quote:
the tyres were damaged to begin with or the tyre hit an obstacle on the road, the tyre could have burst.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Or they banged over potholes, damamging the carcasse creating an eventual burst. Also they must have braked hard causing the venhicle to topple and as Ntirous said - no seat belts!
Possibly. Either the tyre burst due to over-inflation, previous damage or upon hitting an object. Then, the top-heavy nature of the Montero came into play, driver swerved too sharp and the SUV crashes into a ditch.

Sorry to hear about the four deaths. God bless their souls.

Last edited by GTO : 14th January 2009 at 16:38.
Old 14th January 2009, 17:20   #19
Senior - BHPian

Few days back I was traveling on a bad road and a rear tyre of my Forester got burst. Since the speed was low I could safely control and stop the vehicle. I think the tyres were not in good shape. I had not changed them since they had done just 30k.
Old 14th January 2009, 17:32   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
How badly maintained could the tyres have been, considering that its a May 2008 car? Plus, the Montero is a CBU and comes with Japanese made tyres which are of pretty high quality.
The fact that it was a May 2008 vehicle didnt register while I said that.

Anyway, may they RIP.
Old 14th January 2009, 19:44   #21
Senior - BHPian

We cannot comment on the structural integrity of Montero. Every car has its own limitations. Tyre burst also caused a lot of noise in early and mid 90's in US when those firestone tyres were going burst, but people suddenly started to believe that SUVs were not well built. So one car magazine ( a copy of which I picked up around 6 years ago, second hand ), I dont remember the name, decided to buy second hand SUV, put in roll cage, and with some devices ran the SUV to 65mph, and suddenly with the help from those devices, deflated the tyre. the car did not roll over.

Here panic at the time when tyre burst could also have resulted into fatal accident. Also we must remember that beyond a speed, no car can prevent damage.

What has happened is unfortunate, but this can be reduced. First of all, buy meter to check tyre pressure and also buy a pump to fill in air. Check tyre pressure yourself. This is the best thing to do. The reliability of meters from tyre-wallahs is not good and they also vary significantly in reading from one place to another.
Old 14th January 2009, 20:16   #22
BHPian

The persons who was killed were my school principal, director and their relatives,
There were two cars each driven by a driver,
just half hour before the crash director of the school (owner of the cars) changed seats with the Montero driver,
Both the drivers were traveling behind the Montero in another car (Mercedes E class or Endeavour )
The cars were at a high speed ( 140- 160 Kmph) and the driver behind them spotted a wobble of the Montero's wheel and called up The Director to inform him about the wobble, but sadly just when he came to know about this it was too late.
The Airbags according to sources did not open!
Old 14th January 2009, 21:04   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsingh007 View Post
The cars were at a high speed ( 140- 160 Kmph) and the driver behind them spotted a wobble of the Montero's wheel and called up The Director to inform him about the wobble, but sadly just when he came to know about this it was too late.
The Airbags according to sources did not open!
Sad to hear about this news.
Looks like they had not done balancing/alignment in time!
By the way is 140-160kmph high speed for Montero?

I do not think the speed caused the burst, but the degree of fatality was due to speed.
Old 14th January 2009, 21:21   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepgautam_qa View Post
but when one's time is over even if one is inside a T-90 Battle Tank, nothing works.
true say deepgautam, it alway depends on time.
Old 17th January 2009, 15:37   #25
BHPian

This is bad. I have just ordered a Montero.
Old 17th January 2009, 18:09   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
In this case, being a new car, it must be that the tyres were wrongly inflated. Typical situation if you check tyre pressure in (a) non-automatic air dispensers, (b) fill in or release air when the tyres are hot, as would happen during long drives.

As a precaution, I never check air pressure during my long highway drives, until I have come to a complete halt and the tyre has had at least 1-2 hours to cool down. I also never check at the roadside air shops because their meters are invariably wrong.
There might have been other factors responsible for this unfortunate incident. First of all we are all sad that such an unfortunate incident has happened. Then we do not know about ant technical details, so we are in no position to make any kind of comment. I know a lot of people who upsize or swap tyres and rims. Who knows whether the tyres were OE or were after market.

Why blame only the tyres unless someone specifically saw and heard the tyre go bang. My CRV, less than a year old suddenly broke its tie rod when i was cruising at 50 (thankfully). The company tried to push it as a rash driving theory to save them form litigation but i know what happened. Suddenly on early morning at 4:00am, while returning from the air port as soon as i departed from the ramp the accident happened. The car just slid to the left and rammed a tree sideways from the front on the fender. I knew something broke as i felt my side of the car suddenly fall down two notches as if something was yanked from below.

The surveyor informed me that the grease marks s they were showed that the suspension gave way but also said that i could never prove it s i just got my car and took whatever they offered as insurance. i have never been able to drive that vehicle without feeling unsafe again.

What im saying is that it might have been such a freak quirk too.

I agree with hvkumar on his belief that one should never fill air in hot tyres and should do it only at a pump with an electronic meter. I follow that principle too but sometimes i have had to break them in emergencies. Other than that check when leaving the town, preferably before starting and vice versa.
Old 17th January 2009, 18:27   #27
BHPian

i was really lucky had a tyre burst at a high speed!! the whole car goes crazy. went into a median and stopped just at the edge of a cliff!

may their souls rest in peace!

Last edited by sameel : 17th January 2009 at 18:32.
Old 17th January 2009, 19:06   #28
Senior - BHPian

Airbags will not deploy if seat belts are not worn.
Old 17th January 2009, 19:24   #29

i had the tyres filled with nitrogen and the pressure was set and adjusted by on the best tyre care co in the city. but even then the tyre burst and i had a mishap.
Old 17th January 2009, 19:25   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
also its better to fill in less air before a long nonstop trip, about 2-3 psi lower than the recommended value, since in a long run the tyres heat up much more and get less time to cool down. people tend to overfill air to get more "mileage" which can burst the tyres on a highspeed run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Either the tyre burst due to over-inflation,
Err, I have a doubt here: Under-inflation is what leads to bursts more often than over-inflation, unless the over-inflation is very large.
Under-inflation by even small amounts causes more sidewall flexing and overheats a tyre.
Am I going wrong somewhere?
Aren't we always safer with 3 psi more, than 3 psi less, than the recommended pressure?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks