Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2009, 19:33   #1
BHPian

An unfortunate sunday

Well, it started of as one of the routine weekend drives we normally do. It turned out to be neat little disaster by the time we were finished. It was a bright sunday morning and we thought we would go and do some good fast driving. The car was an old shape honda city vtec and we were three in the car. It all went off well initially and we were enjoying the drive, doing neat speeds and the car taking things well. Before I forget, the place was mandardevi ghats, a lovely piece of tarmac that winds its way up the side of a hill. The landscape was dry and the whole place had a desolate and burnt look about it. We had planned to test the intercom that we had built for the rally and we did quite a bit of fine tuning with the intercom. We were driving around with helmets on, to test the intercom and once we were done with it, we took the helmets off and took a breather. Had chai at a local tea stall and decided to proceed on our way.

The roads looked an absolute monte carlo copy and coupled with the desolation around enticed us into doing a small pace notes exercise. We did one pass of a two km stretch with lots of winding turns and prepared our notes. Then decided to hit the same patch a little fast at road speeds. A few turns into the stretch it happened. A medium left turned tight and it was over an undulation although a gradual one. I hit the turn at close to 80 clicks, the car takes off over the undulation and then the turn suddenly tightens and we have no contact patch to turn. A situation where we are going straight over and falling off the hill. I somehow manage to get the car turned in a little but we still reach the gradient on the opposite side of the road. The car is already over the gradient, but sideways. More gas and we drive straight at a tilt angle on the gradient parallel to the road and then somehow manage to climb the gradient with full gas and then the car swerves and hits an embankment at full clip and comes to a dead stop. A good 40 feet drop welcomes us right where we stopped. Front passengers have the seat belts on, so we dont even budge. The backseat passenger surprisingly just gets pushed around comfortably and nothing at all happens to anyone.

It is a different story with the car though. All kinds of things have gone wrong. The engine was still running but the front right has suffered bad damage and the front grill had come inside because of the impact. Surprisingly, we could drive the car, even though with a big soundtrack for company. We decided to retrace back to pune to fix the car. After doing 30 odd kms more, the car suddenly stopped. We got a tow truck to get us to honda service and the car went straight for fixing. Radiator, condensor, front beam, engine casing...all kinds of things suffering damage. The bill when it was done came to a whopping 1.4 lacs. Thankfully, nothing happened to anyone inside. So much for a sunday drive. A few pics attached.

An unfortunate sunday-_mg_1933.jpg

An unfortunate sunday-_mg_1944.jpg

An unfortunate sunday-_mg_1936.jpg

An unfortunate sunday-_mg_1946.jpg

An unfortunate sunday-_mg_1935.jpg
megazoid is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2009, 19:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Damn thats one rally experiment gone bad. Nice to know no one got hurt.
Old 15th January 2009, 20:12   #3
BHPian

Thank god no one got hurt, that sounds like a close call.
I mst say, looking a tthe pictures of the car, a 1.4 lakh bill is really surprising. I guess thee's more internal damage than external.
Old 15th January 2009, 20:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hard luck there. Glad to see no one is hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazoid View Post
A medium left turned tight and it was over an undulation although a gradual one. I hit the turn at close to 80 clicks, the car takes off over the undulation and then the turn suddenly tightens and we have no contact patch to turn. A situation where we are going straight over and falling off the hill. I somehow manage to get the car turned in a little but we still reach the gradient on the opposite side of the road. The car is already over the gradient, but sideways. More gas and we drive straight at a tilt angle on the gradient parallel to the road and then somehow manage to climb the gradient with full gas and then the car swerves and hits an embankment at full clip and comes to a dead stop.
Could anyone translate the above paragraph into English please?
Old 15th January 2009, 20:41   #5
BHPian

Damn, thats bad. ! I hope theres no internal damage to the engine. Lucky you guys were safe, even when u were not wearing helmets
Old 15th January 2009, 21:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thank you lucky stars for that!Hope everything gets fixed soon.
Old 15th January 2009, 21:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

Good no one was hurt. The car looks pretty bad in front. 1.4 Lacs is a whopping sum for repairs. Hope you will get most of it as insurance except ythe plastic + rubber parts
Old 15th January 2009, 22:08   #8
BHPian

What a Scary Incident, Good to know that no one was hurt ..
Old 16th January 2009, 01:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

Sad to know about the incident but thankfully all of you escaped without any injuries. For the next drive I would suggest a little caution and a better set of tyres.
Old 16th January 2009, 08:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Hard luck there. Glad to see no one is hurt.

Could anyone translate the above paragraph into English please?
Quote:
A medium left turned tight and it was over an undulation although a gradual one. I hit the turn at close to 80 clicks, the car takes off over the undulation and then the turn suddenly tightens and we have no contact patch to turn. A situation where we are going straight over and falling off the hill. I somehow manage to get the car turned in a little but we still reach the gradient on the opposite side of the road. The car is already over the gradient, but sideways. More gas and we drive straight at a tilt angle on the gradient parallel to the road and then somehow manage to climb the gradient with full gas and then the car swerves and hits an embankment at full clip and comes to a dead stop.
What was supposed to be a medium turn turned out to be a tight one. There was a change of height on the road during the turn and he hit it at high speed, launching the car into the air for a moment. When he realized the turn was tighter than he anticipated, the car was airborne and thus couldn't be steered. He expected the car to go straight off the road and down the hill.

However, his steering input has some effect and the car changes direction a bit, but too late. The car reaches the other side of the road, sliding. A lot of pedal and the car manages to stay on the hill and gets back on the road. However, it goes straight into an embankment (you know, cement thingies built at the sides) and comes to a stop.

I hope that's a proper translation
ImmortalZ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2009, 09:02   #11
Team-BHP Support

Glad to know you and others are safe Hari. Was Ashvin reading the pace notes? Where are these roads?
Old 16th January 2009, 09:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

Whoa.
I guess credit goes to your rally driving skills there. An uninitiated driver would have just stood on the brakes and let the car go off the hill!!
Old 16th January 2009, 11:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about the damage to the car & the cost

But thank God you guys are safe!
Old 16th January 2009, 11:23   #14
Senior - BHPian

Its amazing that you can recollect all the steering input and driving detail of the crucial moments and are able to pen it down well enough to give the reader a decent description of the event.
Glad you guys escaped unharmed.
Btw, is Mandardevi somewhere near Pune ?
How to get there from Mumbai?

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 16th January 2009 at 11:24.
Old 16th January 2009, 12:14   #15
Senior - BHPian

Good that everyone came unhurt and the way you wrote it says about your driving skills

After reading tons of scary experiences here, even the uninitiated drivers like me were educated on how to act during such scenarios. Mentally many of the regulars at our forum would have prepared to "think and act" during such situation rather than getting panicked. Also its important to understand that real time situations are a different ball game and keeping cool is definitely not walk in the park... I am preparing myself to think before natural reaction of standing on the brakes (Hopefully we dont end up there )

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks