Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2005, 19:36   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by c10
hi, small cars like 800 are not built for such speed but even i had once done 120 myself in my 97' M800 last summer commin back from Mysore to Bangalore, with four of us n our luggage in the car....
I can understand the adrenalin rush, but remember c10, when you hold the wheel, you are responsible for the safety of your passengers. The 800 is in noway built for such speeds. Drive safe dude, use your head
Old 26th April 2005, 00:01   #32
c10
BHPian

hi hemlock, thanks 4 d concern..its d safety 1st n speed next or both go alone 2gthr wth me wen im behind the whel..i usually dnt drive the tiny cars but my JUMBO-a Contee. Lst nite myslf n my 3 friends were driving bk frm Krishnagiri at 9:30pm,d roads wer inviting!!!thr wer 2 othr scorpios n a M800..i hd a gala time with these 3 around going neck 2 neck...d scorpios took off initially but in the stretch they could'nt get me...though i dint want 2 push hard,the drive wth these 3 machines around made me click 120+ on my contee.i was shocked at d way d M800 was chassing me..n scorpios were cool..
Old 26th April 2005, 08:52   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by c10
hi hemlock, thanks 4 d concern..its d safety 1st n speed next or both go alone 2gthr wth me wen im behind the whel....................dint want 2 push hard,the drive wth these 3 machines around made me click 120+ on my contee.i was shocked at d way d M800 was chassing me..n scorpios were cool..

I hope you drive as responsiblly as you spell. Like traffic rules, please note that the moderators have specific rules on laguages etc.
Old 26th April 2005, 10:41   #34
c10
BHPian

MY APPOLOGIES...

Regards,

C10.
Old 26th April 2005, 20:03   #35
SLK
Senior - BHPian

800s are certainly not made for high speeding, but I still say it all depends on the situation/road/traffic. Even a beemer is not made for driving it around at 120+ on single roads.

I have done almost 140 in my 800 without flooring it. No regrets at all. It was all smooth and safe on a very wide 8 lane road!
Old 14th October 2005, 16:06   #36
BHPian

110kmph in an 800 is too much. it ain't made for that speed i had an 800(sweet memories) and i've got many open roads but never went more than 90kmph on it...(did 90 when got a clean stetch...could did more but it got wavy) i noticed that it is good till 70 max more than 70 the brakes could not control it properly the body is too light just touch it and it will bend...most economical car..... thats it
Old 14th October 2005, 16:17   #37
BHPian

People have to self disciplined. 110 is too much for M800 and 170 is also too much for BMW in single lane roads. hmm...I don't know when people will learn :-(

A wise learns from others mistake.
Old 7th June 2006, 05:18   #38
Senior - BHPian

Its not just the car that determines the 'right' speed. Its the road, pedestrian, traffic conditions, the weather.
Responsible driving is about not succumbing to the urge of pushing it to the limits for a given set of conditions, all the time. The 'safety' at a particular speed is not just how safe its for people inside, but other users too.
Let tbhp be a kick-starter for promoting more responsible, defensive(thats NOT a bad word) driving, at least amongst members. Given its reach it should make *some* difference.
Old 7th June 2006, 10:14   #39
BANNED

<rant>
I am not sure if this has been discussed before, but on an auto enthusiast forum, I would rather not see pics of horrible crashes.

I am all for discussing tips/pointers about safety, and safe driving, but looking at pics of crashed cars is kind of depressing, and too real. I think a report/post with plain text about accidents will serve the purpose.

Many other auto forums ban posting images off accidents, and accident victims. Just food for thought for the admins.

rant off.
Old 7th June 2006, 11:43   #40
Jay
BHPian

Wow thats a bad crash.... the 800 is reduced to scrap...
Old 7th June 2006, 12:32   #41
BHPian

Well 110, 120+ -- what kind of roads were these folks driving on?

Okay, accepted, the fancy car can do those speeds...even the M800 and about every other two and four wheeler, but do you need to push so far?

Looking at the terrible pictures, it is no wonder that I get this horribly sick feeling when I browse through the pictures in the Gallery section of TBHP and see the needle pointing at the 140s and 160s!

Old 8th June 2006, 12:33   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx
Its not just the car that determines the 'right' speed. Its the road, pedestrian, traffic conditions, the weather.
Responsible driving is about not succumbing to the urge of pushing it to the limits for a given set of conditions, all the time. The 'safety' at a particular speed is not just how safe its for people inside, but other users too.
Well said!
Excellent post, I couldnt agree with you more!

cya
R
Old 8th June 2006, 14:13   #43
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
how can u say just by looking at the pic that its the bigger car's fault.

whichever car was on the wrong side of the road will also have its rear door dented as it will have been trying to cut across to its lane while overtaking.
so while doing so the other car will also hit the rear part of the overtaking car.

here,when u look at the 2 pics,its the M800 that has the dent on rear door,while the bmw has only the front RHS dented.
which tells that probably the M800 was at fault.
It does seem more likely that the M 800 driver completely misjudged the speed of the BMW and went for an impossible overtake. The M 800 guy probably did not have any concept of how fast 170 kmph can be, especially at night, when it is much more difficult to judge speeds and distances.

I had a similar frightening experience on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway. I was doing 130 kmph in my Santro, and indicated right to overtake a slow vehicle in front of me in the middle lane. It was night, and saw a car in my right mirror (turned out to be a Honda Accord) behind me on the right lane at some distance and flashing his lights. I nevertheless cut into the right lane, since the guy was some distance behind me. I made the overtake, and immediately indicated left to get back to the middle lane in order to pass another slow-moving vehicle in the right lane. As I indicated, I started to cut into the middle lane and simultaneously glanced into the rear-view mirror. To my utter surprise and horror, the Honda Accord had also completed the overtake behind me and was already switching to the middle lane and passing me on my left at a scorching pace!! I stll have no idea how the guy closed the gap *so* fast -- must have been doing 160-170 kph. I saw the Accord's lights behind me and to my left JUST IN TIME to pull out of my intended lane change. Another fraction of a second, and he might well have gotten into my blind spot and I wonder what my fate would have been. It is true that the Accord went into a very rash overtake -- I had annoyed the guy earlier by overtaking him in the downward ghat stretch at Lonawala, and probably by cutting into the right lane in front of him in the present overtake (after the exit toll gate towards Mumbai). But it is also true that I completely misjudged the speed and acceleration capability of an Accord, since it was night time -- I should have let him pass to my right even before attempting the first overtake.
Regards, rks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks