Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2009, 13:48   #31
Senior - BHPian

Yea he has to cover or justify his stupidity some way!

i cant believe that he dint notice the train coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
RPF slaps case on the driver

And he's blaming the Railways saying nothing happened to him for 7 years!

p.s. I wonder if there's a traindriver forum - where they post about idiots suddenly coming into their path
Old 23rd January 2009, 13:56   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami
While it is good to praise the build quality etc, it is important to remember no car is designed for an impact from a train. These guys were plain lucky to have come in front of a train moving at a low speed.
Finally a sane voice on this thread. Build quality and all is fine, but to say that they survived because of that is so immature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75
Did anything happen to the train? I am impressed with the train's build quality.
LOL.

BTW, manned crossings are not really fail-proof - and are only as good as those manning them. There is a manned crossing near our home at Kerala, where my wife has had atleast 2 horrific experiences. The gates were open and so the bus she was travelling in crosses the track and to their horror they see a train approaching.

Ever since, whenever I approach a railway crossing, I look both sides even if the gates are open. More so because our Swift/M800 does not have the tank-like-build to withstand a train impact.
Old 23rd January 2009, 14:04   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Finally a sane voice on this thread. Build quality and all is fine, but to say that they survived because of that is so immature.
Another sane voice!

In this particular accident, it was the Build quality of Palio that saved the couple, had it been any other brand car (in hatch segment) the consequence would have been fatal!

And If the train was in good speed, no car would save them!
Old 23rd January 2009, 14:07   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp
And If the train was in good speed, no car would save them!
No way. You are seriously undermining the Palio's TLB.
They would still have been saved, irrespective of the train's speed, if they were in a Palio.

Infact the only reason the train driver reduced speed in this case is because he could make out that the car in question is a Palio and he wanted to avoid damage to his train and avoid derailment which cannot be ruled out when colliding with a Palio.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 23rd January 2009 at 14:16.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2009, 14:15   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post

True, Palio showed its characters:
1. Car broke down on level crossing
2. Occupants couldn't get out - maybe the doors were jammed.
3. Car withstood the impact with train, though its a writeoff

Hats off to Palio for living its tradition
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
Thanks for the advice mate, actually after reading the news I am already on a look out for a unmanned railway crossing around NCR.

Man, these 2 replies are hilarious.
Old 23rd January 2009, 14:19   #36
BHPian

All I can say is "What a waste of such a beautiful car!"

On a more serious note, I hope the person's license gets cancelled so that he doesn't drive any car, least of all a Fiat.
Old 23rd January 2009, 14:24   #37
BHPian

Sparing a thought for the people. Hope they don't do the same mistake again.

Quote:
BTW, manned crossings are not really fail-proof - and are only as good as those manning them. There is a manned crossing near our home at Kerala, where my wife has had atleast 2 horrific experiences. The gates were open and so the bus she was travelling in crosses the track and to their horror they see a train approaching.
Might be due to Incidents like these, now manned crossings have signal light linked to the gates. They turn green only when the gates are closed. That way the train gets saved from Tank attacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
In this particular accident, it was the Build quality of Palio that saved the couple, had it been any other brand car (in hatch segment) the consequence would have been fatal!
Even if one owns a car with great build quality, Intelligence is a nice to have features for human beings.

Or is it that those two are mutually exclusive?
Old 23rd January 2009, 14:31   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Infact the only reason the train driver reduced speed in this case is because he could make out that the car in question is a Palio and he wanted to avoid damage to his train and avoid derailment which cannot be ruled out when colliding with a Palio.

I think we can blame the auto mags for this - they were the ones who said the Palio corners likes it's on rails!
Old 23rd January 2009, 17:27   #39
BHPian

The case would have been entirely different if those two had died everybody would have blame the train driver.
no car would survive train crash. It was only LUCK they survived but sure somewhere you have give LITTLE 0.000001 % credit to palio it took the blow nicely btw just imagine how m800/SWIFT/santro would look in this case given the same circumstances. Why classify fiat owners as idiots? accidents do happen with everyone irrespective of his mental strength. Maybe they were shocked to see the train & in nervousness they couldnt start the car at right time.
Old 23rd January 2009, 19:01   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERRO View Post
... Why classify fiat owners as idiots? ...
Please do not bring in unwanted comments! There has been no comments as such, until now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERRO View Post
...Maybe they were shocked to see the train & in nervousness they couldnt start the car at right time.
Shocked to see a train on a railway track... mmm...
Old 23rd January 2009, 19:34   #41
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Shocked to see a train on a railway track... mmm...

Good one, Suresh.
Old 25th January 2009, 15:38   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight
That way the train gets saved from Tank attacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERRO
just imagine how m800/SWIFT/santro would look in this case given the same circumstances.
The M800 weighing in at 600-odd kgs might take more brunt than the Palio. Don't know about the Santro, but I don't see why it should be any better or worse for the Swift as compared to the Palio. Both weigh in at 1000-odd kgs and given that kerb weights are similar, I would think that the chassis, body etc would be more or less similar in metal, strength etc. It is not like the Swift's engine constitutes 75% of the total kerb weight.

That couple should thank their lucky stars for being alive apart from thanking the loco-pilot who reduced speed seeing these morons on the track. Not the build quality of the car they were in.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 25th January 2009 at 15:39.
Old 25th January 2009, 21:25   #43
Senior - BHPian

^^ It so difficult for some people to undertand the facts & give the credit where it is due!

Yes man, the couple should thank the stars for their great escape, and not the car which bore the full brunt & saved them.
Old 25th January 2009, 21:41   #44
Senior - BHPian

While the couple were lucky, the build quality aspect cant be ignored completely. The car has taken the crash well and I shudder to think what would have happened if it was a Wagon-R or a Santro.
Old 26th January 2009, 10:11   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp
It so difficult for some people to undertand the facts & give the credit where it is due!
Just like it is so difficult for some people to understand that a 1-ton hatchback is no match for a train weighing many thousand times the car.

And as far as giving credit is concerned, it has been given - to the train driver.

Most Viewed