Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2005, 19:20   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I ripped a tyre becuse of this. Actually this is where an SUV scores - you sit high so glare is reduced
Which is why we now have a beam selector (or whatever its called) fitted standard on all cars since April 1 2005. Its a nice thing to fit on our cars, only its 10 years too late. But has the rule passed on to HCVs, LCVs as well? Can anyone confirm this?

Revv
Old 29th April 2005, 19:43   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvmaster
Doing 80-90 kmph at 3am on a Splendor seems a bit too much. Especially since i guess the stretch you were on didn't have adequate lighting. Coupled with the insufficient beam strength in most Indian bikes due to poor OE fittings (bulbs of inadequate wattage). Had you to have been doing a more sane 60 kmph or less, it would have given you a better chance of braking earlier, and most probably would have braked way before the cart.

Revv
I appreciate your concern Revv.. But what I have learnt from driving tests in UK and US is that you have to maintain the speed of the traffic. Doing 60 at 3:00 am would have meant even insane thing to do, as trucks from behind would have taken me with them.

Also, I could have stopped in time had not there been a oncoming truck with high beams. and i wonder which highways in India have lighting on them. hmmmm.....
Old 30th April 2005, 00:28   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Doing 60 at 3:00 am would have meant even insane thing to do, as trucks from behind would have taken me with them.

Also, I could have stopped in time had not there been a oncoming truck with high beams. and i wonder which highways in India have lighting on them. hmmmm.....
Rishi, i guess you have learnt your lesson from this experience, however hard it might have been. I am glad you came out rather unscathed from the incident and are here to discuss this incident with us. Riding a bike at nights on Indian highways is rather scary, and i guess you wouldn't wanna even do it again in the future after what you've experienced.

I nearly lost a friend who also decided to take the highway for a long-distance trip at night. He crashed head-on with a stationary truck. Though he survived the accident, he took to bed for nearly 2 years. He was paralysed chest down.

My point is, its better to be safe than sorry. Defensive driving saves you and saves others as well. Anticipating a situation before it happens saves lives. And on Indian highways, where rescue is remote, the chances of you dying without help for hours on end highly probable, it rather makes sense to avoid such situations by just slowing down that wee bit.

My trips in my younger days to places like Goa/Mahableshwar/Ahmedabad by road were nothing short of nightmarish where i saw people dying in front of me and nothing being done simply because of lack of medical facilites, panchanama and rigmaroles of the system. Seriously, get into one such a situation and you'll realise that its better just going steady and easy.

Revv
Old 30th April 2005, 04:06   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
But this is India, my dear friend People just dont understand it. A few years back, we were traveling in a qualis. The guy seemed to be a decent driver and was using low beam always. It was a small road and we had a truck coming towards us, with high beam. Our driver flashed a few times in vain. He was just not able to see anything ahead with those powerful beams heading towards us. Speeds were low being small road. Our driver got so bugged, he stopped the qualis right in the middle of road blocking way for the truck, forcing him to stop.

And then they had some real schweety schweet discussion for next 10 minutes
so im guessing the dim and dip...and the high beams..are only for 2 lane roads..what about on expressways and stuff??? Man this is freaking me out...i think i'll stick to just driving in the city and maybe expressways..when im staying in india. I'll leave the long distance travel to the bus/train..or my cousin...
Old 30th April 2005, 14:44   #35
BHPian

hey dude
i agree with u everyone must know the limits of their car bcoz u can be a good driver but what if other isnt even i had a horrible accident that too not being my fault
Old 30th April 2005, 18:28   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvmaster
nothing being done simply because of lack of medical facilites, panchanama and rigmaroles of the system.
Guys the above point mentioned by Rev is very valid.....lack of medical facilities ....and simplifying the system.

i mean except the mumbai-pune expressway , do we have the medical facilites to deal with accidents fast enough to save lives on other national highways ??

i guess not ! and the accident victims if lucky enough to reach a nearby hospital are denied treatment due to late arrival of police for the panchnama and other rigmaroles......

maan , dont we value lives or what !!

better to drive slow and steady - you might probably reach 30 mins later than a fast and rash driver but you are garaunteed to reaching there in one piece atleast !

and driving in the nights ..i used to enjoy that earlier ,....these days its a no-no. because of the morons on the highways ...who think night time driving is for making up the time lost during the day ! and they either dont have lights or only have the high beam working !

so - i never drive at nights....and dont advise anyone to do that either ! its just to dangerous and risky

cheers
Old 1st May 2005, 02:07   #37
Senior - BHPian

well almost 90% of people don't deserve to have driving liecense
95% people shouldn't be allowed to buy car for public safety
villagers coming on higways should be put in prison

well couple of my experince
1. we were coming back from mumbai on expressway my brother was behind the wheel & on a blind turn out of no where i guy passed by in OPPOSITE DIRECTION at very high speed, thankfully we were in middle lane

2. while coming back from mumabi on expressway just right after toll all of a sudden a trailor takes a U turn without any warning at a very high speed. god bless man who invented brakes

3. once was going to saswad in a bus & all of a sudden a three year old child starts running accross road (this is on one of the fastest & deserted part of highway)

4. once coming from panhala came across an accident an esteem had a head on collision with matador on a blind turn
esteem was doing well over 100 & it was the one at fault car had gon under matador right upto boot (even made yesterdays accent incident in mumbai look like childs play)

5. once on expressway while driving from middle lane got overtaken by octi & ikon at very high speed from both side looked like they were haveing a race with going right upto another cars boot (just 20 to 30 meters away) & all this at speed of about 150kmph (i was doing 100 kmph & they just flew right by me) thankfully there was no incident but a though gave me shivers

i am gonna tell few secrets that my father told me when i got my liecense
1. never ever under any conditions don't overtake any one on blind corners
2. always know your limit & drive only 75% of your limit
3. whenever on straight & empty road then 7 then only take your speed to higher side
4. whenever someone tries to be stud on road (trying to cut off & stuff) always think he has better wheels & let him through

because afterall other don't but we should look after our lifes
Old 1st May 2005, 03:30   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys the above point mentioned by Rev is very valid.....lack of medical facilities ....and simplifying the system.
Appreciate your support NC.
Old 1st May 2005, 13:08   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
But this is India, my dear friend People just dont understand it. A few years back, we were traveling in a qualis. The guy seemed to be a decent driver and was using low beam always. It was a small road and we had a truck coming towards us, with high beam. Our driver flashed a few times in vain. He was just not able to see anything ahead with those powerful beams heading towards us. Speeds were low being small road. Our driver got so bugged, he stopped the qualis right in the middle of road blocking way for the truck, forcing him to stop.

And then they had some real schweety schweet discussion for next 10 minutes
I've had a few of those schweety schweet discussions with some bus/truck drivers myself. Also with some drivers of the newer cars who think they have to switch on all lights (high & low are possible on some cars + fog lamps) just because they are there.

Also carry a hockey stick in the car, which I once used on a truck's headlamps. He had 4 headlamps, ALL on high beam. When I was finished he had 2.

Isnt there a rule on the number of headlamps you're allowed to have?
Old 1st May 2005, 14:00   #40
Senior - BHPian

Also, people dont realise that if their car is on high beam and they want to turn right, then their flashing indicator will not be visible to the oncoming traffic. Sometimes i feel like stopping the car right in front of such people and ask them to come out, walk ten steps ahead of the car and see for themselves whether they can see their indicator or not. not a very practical thing to do though.

Amitoj
Old 2nd May 2005, 11:59   #41
BHPian

Steeriod,

That is most amazing! You actually managed to break two of the guys headlights. Boy I wish I had a rupee for everytime I thought of doing that. Would be a millionaire by now.

But seriously, driving in the day or night is equally dangerous. And overtaking should be done only from the right side, and only when the guy in front signals. We are often stuck behind vehicles and try to pass, but pass only when given the signal is good sense.
Old 2nd May 2005, 14:19   #42
Senior - BHPian

guys,
driving on the NH4 stretch in maharshtra is big pain.
i too had 3 near misses in the last week when going to mangalore in a santro.just missed crashing head at 100+ on into a bus ,then a traxx and lastly a bike with an entire family on board.inspite of the road being operational on their side,these people were bang in the fast lane.
the bus incident was soo close that the ,that when i swerved to avoid it,the tires scraped through the dividers on one side and the bus just missed the car by millimeters.
as there was heavy traffic behind,i cud not turn back and go after the bus.

drive safe
so overtaking even on one way stretches require a great degree of caution.
Old 2nd May 2005, 15:03   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Also carry a hockey stick in the car, which I once used on a truck's headlamps. He had 4 headlamps, ALL on high beam. When I was finished he had 2.
Boy, you sure have good deal of hidden road rage. Just kidding. I have never tried it myself and don't think I'll do it, but yes, have thought about breaking headlamp and lot more. Persistent high beam surely pisses me off. One of my friend has used your technique and more effectively.
Old 2nd May 2005, 16:27   #44
Senior - BHPian

3 simple rules on the highway to live and drive long
- oertake ONLY on straights
- overtake ONLY when u have a clear 250-300 metres ahead of you and can see it 100%
- when coming to crossroads - foot completely off the accelerator and be ready to brake and
mark 'safe options' just in case
What u did was almost overtake blind - i know it was meant to be a one way but if not the truck it could
have been a loose boulder or dead animal - enough to lose ur line at 90+ speeds
That said - drive well under your + car limits and keep thinking of possible exit optiions out of
sudden emergencies. Paranoia helps. Not just in India - everywhere. Lost a friend who got hit by a drunk moron coming down the wrong side of an interstate in the US.
- sameer
Old 2nd May 2005, 19:14   #45
BANNED

The official speed limit on our highways is 80km/h. Even on the Expressway. In the city, the speed limit is 60. If you're going anything over this speed, then you have to take at least part of the blame for whatever happens.

Most Viewed