Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2009, 08:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys for the advices.

Generally I enjoy the drive at controllable speeds rather than high speeds which require higher level of concentration and I very well know the difference in time between these two. The first incident has shaken me a lot and Iam surprised the outcome has come exactly the opposite of what I should have done (slow down)

On the second incident, when I felt the car was in bit of air at those higher speeds, I slightly applied the brakes to bring it back to control. This is purely by repeated readings at our forum not to stand on the brake and lock the wheels. Right after this second incident, I stopped in a tea shop for a 15 mins break.

VivekinY2K- Any idea how to manage in such situation?
Old 10th February 2009, 09:41   #17
BHPian

Overtaking from left is a strict no no in highway driving. It is better to slow down and wait then overtake from left.

Overtaking at corners is another strict no no. For one, many people don't stick to their lanes at turns and another, somebody else might be doing the same overtaking maneuver from the other side. For a right turn it might be ok if you have good visibility but a left turn is like inviting trouble.

And I thought the right way to bring an airborne car under control is to accelerate and not brake. But experts can clarify.
Old 10th February 2009, 09:43   #18
BHPian

Hey Surprise, drive carefully man.
I think we all have this nag of taking risks even when we know that its going to be tight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
The last leg or the home stretch is dangerous as we get impatient to get home + having got used to all those long empty stretches, we get irritated with the heavy slow moving traffic. Best to take a break somewhere there and tell yourself that driving is going to be slow for this last stretch.

Cheers and happy driving,
Very righly said Mr Ravvendrra.
It happens with me as well and I think this happens with everybody and specially when you drive between the same highway ( same destinations ) often. You tend to race with yourself, you tend to better your previously set timings between the two destinations.
End of journey is like the last few laps of the race and you want to give it your all and that is asking for trouble, as generally the last few kms are when you are approaching your house are conjested and you tend look for risky moves
Old 10th February 2009, 09:43   #19
BANNED

Where exactly did all this happen? The bridge I can hazard a guess - the one over the railway line going to Arakkonam?
Old 10th February 2009, 10:02   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
...Right after this second incident, I stopped in a tea shop for a 15 mins break...
Right thing to do when once goes thru a tight situation. Help a long way in getting things in order!
Old 10th February 2009, 10:30   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

@Ravveenndrra, well put. Honestly, I had not thought about my honking not being audible enough to the truck driver. - And that if he is not responding to my honking, he is not doing it deliberately.
Thanks !

Quote:
watashi75 : Overtaking at corners is another strict no no.
Basically : Never overtake on the same side of the turning : the gap will always reduce on that side.

Never overtake on the outside of the turning : you have a big blind spot coming up.

While one can argue an exception that :
on a Keep Left road system (like in India), it is ok to overtake from the right during a right turn, I feel even this is dangerous.

Best option is to overtake on a straight, when the coast is clear in both directions.

Last edited by Technocrat : 11th February 2009 at 14:51. Reason: Splitting post across threads
Old 10th February 2009, 10:55   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
And I thought the right way to bring an airborne car under control is to accelerate and not brake. But experts can clarify.
I do not know which is the right way to handle such situation, but honestly that an instant reaction from my side with a conscious move of not to brake hard.

As you said, let's leave that topic to experts for clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Where exactly did all this happen? The bridge I can hazard a guess - the one over the railway line going to Arakkonam?
The first over bridge as you join the NH-4 from the old madras road (towards Chennai)

Last edited by Surprise : 10th February 2009 at 10:59.
Old 10th February 2009, 11:21   #23
BHPian

Quote:

As I settled down, continued with higher speeds in NH-4. Entered a bridge with no traffic ahead in the speeds of 120 kmph, as I was about to exit it, I hit a slight uneven road surface and felt as if the car was in air, though not sure. Could hear the passengers shout as their head got hit against the roof of the car, I slightly applied brakes to get the car into the control.
What car were you driving and was the bridge you entered the Kanchipuram rail over bridge? Since I was traveling on the same road a couple of days back I remember seeing a grey i10 air borne for a second on that bridge at about 4pm.
Old 10th February 2009, 16:37   #24
BHPian

hi surprise , thank god nothing happened and i understand it is very frustrating behind a slow moving truck . Something similar happened to me this sat , we were also on our way to temple , passing thru sort of ghat roads , traffic was slow moving and we were behind a truck for almost 15-20 mins and my driver in a jiffy just zipped to over take only to see a swift right in front of us in opp direction , both of us braked hard and rejoined the road . Just that one sec was scary enough to put us in defensive and we rode the entire trip at sober 70-80 kmph.
Old 10th February 2009, 19:05   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Can someone throw more light onto this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai3033 View Post
What car were you driving and was the bridge you entered the Kanchipuram rail over bridge? Since I was traveling on the same road a couple of days back I remember seeing a grey i10 air borne for a second on that bridge at about 4pm.
I drove a non-abs version of Swift Vxi. Not sure whether the bridge which I mentioned earlier was the Kanchipuram rail over bridge
Old 10th February 2009, 19:42   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai3033 View Post
I'm pretty sure this was the bridge. There are 2 hotspots on this bridge - as you climb and reach the level surface on top. In either direction.

If you restrict your speed to 100 kph as you climb this bridge, you will not be airborne.
Old 10th February 2009, 19:55   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
@ surprise,

Glad to hear that it was limited to a scare (or two) without any damage. In addition to all the sage advice by other friends here, remember -

1. "Horns blaring" dont really work with trucks. If you have ever sat in a truck cabin you would know - they just cant hear it!

2. The driver cant see you when you are on the left of the truck you are overtaking.

3. That "someone lifted the car" is your left tyre(s) getting back onto the tarmac. When the shoulder is much lower than the road, the whole trajectory of the car changes on the tyre(s) getting back onto the tarmac.

4. Majority of the bridges have a bump at either end from difference in height of bridge and road, these lift and throw the car up. If you see a bridge - it is best to slow down.

5. The last leg or the home stretch is dangerous as we get impatient to get home + having got used to all those long empty stretches, we get irritated with the heavy slow moving traffic. Best to take a break somewhere there and tell yourself that driving is going to be slow for this last stretch.

Cheers and happy driving,
Sound advice, all of the above.
@Surprise - Glad to know that you & family are safe. Drive safely!

Ranjith
Old 10th February 2009, 21:45   #28
Senior - BHPian

hrag, How did you figured out the two hot spots yourself? Any issues you faced there?

Quote:
If you restrict your speed to 100 kph as you climb this bridge, you will not be airborne.

Is this airborne problem specific to this bridge or common to all. If this is specific to this bridge, will not this turn as a death trap for speed lovers who were new to this bridge
Old 10th February 2009, 22:21   #29
BANNED

Quote:
hrag, How did you figured out the two hot spots yourself? Any issues you faced there?
Sir, NH4 is my backyard, I know every inch of that highway . I've been airborne there once myself when the bridge was opened.

Quote:
Is this airborne problem specific to this bridge or common to all. If this is specific to this bridge, will not this turn as a death trap for speed lovers who were new to this bridge
It is very specific to this bridge. Although there's a trick to it - keep left, drop to 100 and you will not feel a thing.

This bridge is not a death trap by any standard - there are 2 others beyond this one enroute to Bangalore that are - Pachakuppam & Vaniyambadi.
Old 10th February 2009, 22:36   #30
Senior - BHPian

Experts, need your input on how to bring back the airborne car back to ground. No, Iam not going to repeat what I have done, just wanted to educate myself on this. As Wat, as pointed out that we need to accelerate and not to brake at those situations

Quote:
Sir, NH4 is my backyard, I know every inch of that highway . I've been airborne there once myself when the bridge was opened.

It is very specific to this bridge. Although there's a trick to it - keep left, drop to 100 and you will not feel a thing.

This bridge is not a death trap by any standard - there are 2 others beyond this one enroute to Bangalore that are - Pachakuppam & Vaniyambadi.
Thanks for the alert, hrag.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks