Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2009, 09:22   #1
BHPian

My Honda Civic : Damaged by a coconut tree branch

My Civic just got wrecked yersterday, it was parked outside my house when a huge coconut branch fell on it. It totally wrecked the rear windshield and badly damaged the roof.
Called up the honda guys the same day and took them to show the car.
They said that the windshiled will have to be replaced(which was pretty obvious) as well as the roof. My car has United India Assurance which I got from the dealer himself(Deccan Honda Pune).
He said that I will get 100% claim for the parts but will have to pay for other parts such as rubber fittings labour and everything total he said it would cost around Rs. 8000.
Please advice if its Ok,
Picture attached
Attached Thumbnails
My Honda Civic : Damaged by a coconut tree branch-civic_wreck.jpg  

Old 18th February 2009, 09:28   #2
BHPian

Ouch, that looks bad runeet. But that price from Deccan Honda seems reasonable. More over its better to leave the Honda people only get it back to shape as you can expect quality work from them.
Old 18th February 2009, 09:34   #3
BANNED

Sorry to read of the mishap. You are lucky that you ended with a broken rear screen and a dented roof only. Could have been far worse. At Rs.8000 you should consider whether the loss of NCB is worth the claim. Often dealers quote a significantly lower price if you are paying yourself!
Old 18th February 2009, 09:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

That doesn't look very bad. To be honest, I was expecting far worse when I saw wrecked in the title.

8K out of your pocket seems okay.

@sgiitk : I think he means 8K out of his pocket, rest insurance. Cuz 8K total is way too low. A new roof + painting will cost more than that in itself.
Old 18th February 2009, 09:47   #5
BHPian

Actually the 8000 is what I have to pay over and above the claim, for other things not covered in the claim.
Will there be any hassles in the claim bcoz the car is only 8 months old, its been properly driven without any abuse.
Old 18th February 2009, 10:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by runeet View Post
He said that I will get 100% claim for the parts but will have to pay for other parts such as rubber fittings labour and everything total he said it would cost around Rs. 8000.
Please advice if its Ok,
Picture attached
8000/- apart from Insurance claim ?? Ain't it a bit high as rear glass and roof being covered in Insurance 100%. 8000/- for labour and rubber bidding ??
Old 18th February 2009, 10:08   #7
Team-BHP Support

I dont think roof needs to be replaced, actually would advice against you since it will involve chopping and welding which can make the car less stiff. Little bit of tinkering can solve the roof issue, dealer might be taking you for a ride under the pretext of insurance cover.

Mostly the insurance surveyor will not approve the roof replacement also

I suggest that you repair the roof and replace the windshield. Labor will be covered and you will have to pay 50% of rubber beading.
Old 18th February 2009, 10:24   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I dont think roof needs to be replaced, actually would advice against you since it will involve chopping and welding which can make the car less stiff. Little bit of tinkering can solve the roof issue, dealer might be taking you for a ride under the pretext of insurance cover.

Mostly the insurance surveyor will not approve the roof replacement also

I suggest that you repair the roof and replace the windshield. Labor will be covered and you will have to pay 50% of rubber beading.
The roof isn't damaged that bad, a good repair job would be an easier and safer option.

Firstly, check how much your no-claim bonus on insurance is to decide wisely. I suggest you get a quote for the glass from windshield experts, they carry the same OEM glass that the showroom would provide. Their prices are lower too and if you tell them that you would be paying out of your pocket rather than insurance, they would give you some disc%
A reputed local garage can fix the dented roof for a fraction of the price, but thats only if you rather avoid claiming insurance.
Old 18th February 2009, 10:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

If windshield and roof is under claim then the labour for it must be covered as well. Then 8K for what?? rubber bidding? I guess the windshield must be 50-50 shared between owner and insurance company.
Old 18th February 2009, 10:33   #10
BHPian

Insurance coverage for non metal parts is ~50%; this is applicable on the depreciated value of the car (i.e., per the insured value).
Old 18th February 2009, 10:36   #11
BHPian

Yeah the dent on the roof looks as bad (or good !!) as any dent that you get on the side of the car driving around in our cities. I would like to think the service station guys will be able to hammer it in place.

Unless of course there is some structural damage that the dealer is referring to here.
Old 18th February 2009, 10:41   #12
BHPian

Roof can be repaired by after market shops also, they will take almost 10% what you have quoted.

about wind shield, yes, you have to replace it.
Old 18th February 2009, 10:49   #13
Senior - BHPian

Get it done by Honda & claim Insurance. Do not worry about NCB, it is not worth it.
Old 18th February 2009, 10:53   #14
BHPian

I too dont think roof is damaged badly enough to be replaced. Like Jaggu said, it may even work adversely if done so. Get it tinkered and repainted, thats it. Only out of hand expense must be towards rubber beading since its a new car.
Old 18th February 2009, 10:56   #15
BHPian

So sorry to hear about this, Runeet. A similar incident happened to one of my friends when a broken drainage pipe (cememt pipe) fell on his 2 day old Accent in his parking lot.

My understand standing is that glass, plastics, rubber parts attract 50% depreciation for even a day old vehicle. 8K from you pocket should be fine since the new roof and glass are going to cost quite a bit. Also the no claim bonus would not be a large amount to save on. I would suggest go for the insurance claim.

Most Viewed