Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2009, 21:18   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

ANHC ORVM Organized Theft Racket - Owners beware

A friend's brand new ANHC ORVM insert have been stolen just a few days ago. Also noticed a few other ANHCs with the inserts missing in Delhi. These are not to be found anywhere, either at the Honda dealers or at spare parts shops all over Delhi. Cost of these mirrors in the stolen goods markets - Rs.2000 for the pair.

Other ANHC owners in Delhi as well as elsewhere please beware.
Old 23rd February 2009, 11:13   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

When I read the title of this thread, the first word that popped to mind = Already?!!. These guys don't give up, do they. Best to get anti-theft border covers installed from your local accessory shop.
Old 23rd February 2009, 11:20   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
A friend's brand new ANHC ORVM insert have been stolen just a few days ago. Also noticed a few other ANHCs with the inserts missing in Delhi. These are not to be found anywhere, either at the Honda dealers or at spare parts shops all over Delhi. Cost of these mirrors in the stolen goods markets - Rs.2000 for the pair.

Other ANHC owners in Delhi as well as elsewhere please beware.
delhi rules in these departments - what terror awaits the general bangalore public who are used to parkign cars on the roadside adjacent to their houses at night

anyway the only option is to get these border covers installed - they are not too expensive and will make it a lil hard for the ORVMs to get stolen.
Old 23rd February 2009, 15:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
When I read the title of this thread, the first word that popped to mind = Already?!!. These guys don't give up, do they. Best to get anti-theft border covers installed from your local accessory shop.
"anti-theft border covers" sounds interesting can you give more info on this?

Thanks.
Old 23rd February 2009, 15:53   #5
BHPian

Ya, Me too never heard about that. GTO share some light on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post

Thanks.
Old 24th February 2009, 11:11   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post

Thanks.
Okay, maybe the term I used wasn't self-explanatory . It's basically a black metal frame that is screwed on the inside of the mirror body. Get it? Vid has put forth a clearer explanation here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Mirror lock is a metal frame around the mirror housing. The mirrors of the internally adjustable types are very expensive and in mumbai these get stolen pretty often.

This prevents the thief from removing the mirror. He cant get it out as the lock is smaller than the mirror and will not come out.
Old 18th July 2009, 18:23   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Mirrors stolen - doors damaged - utter vandalism

This is an utter crying shame. The friend got his mirror plates installed at a cost of Rs.850 - and last night, the whole mirror assembly on BOTH sides was stolen. Wrenched out, damaging the door as well. The car is parked at night in Patel Nagar.

ANHC ORVM Organized Theft Racket - Owners beware-abcd0015.jpg

ANHC ORVM Organized Theft Racket - Owners beware-dsc02197.jpg

Cost of mirrors: Rs.3500+taxes each, plus Rs.650 each for painting and installation - at Honda Authorised Service Centre. Rs.5400 for the pair outside - painting and installation extra.

One option is to claim insurance and replace the doors too. The risk remains that a similar theft will take place after the repair too. Car is 9 months old. The other option is to replace the mirrors only, leaving them unpainted, and ignore the dents in the doors. Hopefully the theft will not recur.

What to do?

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 18th July 2009 at 18:25.
Old 18th July 2009, 19:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

SS,

Terrbile thing. These thieves dont leave anything, brand logos and now ORVM. I am surprised at the damage done to doors. How must have they caused dents in the door.

The best way now must be to
- Leave the mirrors unpainted this time. It wont look too bad and hope chances of theft are less.
- Regarding dents on door, they look too big to be ignored. It depends from person to person, if your friend doesnt has problem with such dents he can leave it as it is but i doubt seeing car is 9 months old, he will think of replacing the doors.

Same thing happened to my friend's Linea, they tried to break the ORVM but werent successful. In the end they took the mirrors out leaving the casing behind and fled away. He got mirror only changed for 300 rs, otherwise it would have costed 2800 rs without paint for 2 ORVM's. These electrical ORVM are really expensive.

Is that Rs 3500 for each side mirror? Damn, its very expensive for Honda city.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 18th July 2009 at 19:10.
Old 18th July 2009, 19:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

If one is parking outside, a touch sensitive Security system is a MUST. It can be a nuisance at times but at the dead of the night, when nobody is around, the alarm is a good deterrent.
Old 19th July 2009, 14:34   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
...a touch sensitive Security system is a MUST. It can be a nuisance at times but at the dead of the night, when nobody is around, the alarm is a good deterrent.
That's exactly what I'd told him. He has central locking and an alarm, but not a vibration sensor.
Old 20th July 2009, 10:56   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is an utter crying shame. The friend got his mirror plates installed at a cost of Rs.850 - and last night, the whole mirror assembly on BOTH sides was stolen. Wrenched out, damaging the door as well. The car is parked at night in Patel Nagar.
Ouch, that hurts! First time I've seen the entire mirror assembly being brutally ruptured from the door. Sorry about your friend's loss. Best option to:

1. Install a comprehensive anti-theft solution (motion + impact sensors et al).

2. Park indoors. If not possible, in a properly lit area and one which is monitored by watchmen. Tipping the security guard on a monthly basis can go a long way.

Quote:
These thieves dont leave anything, brand logos and now ORVM.
Sad but true. Logos, mirror assemblies, wheel caps, door beadings...anything goes.
Old 20th July 2009, 13:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

This is really crazy. how can such a thing can be stollen w/o anyone noticing it while the thief was doing it ?

I rememebr, my Palio Logo was stolen, it really pains to see such things happen to the car

Does Insurance pays for such theft ?
Old 22nd July 2009, 15:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Install a comprehensive anti-theft solution (motion + impact sensors et al).

2. Park indoors. If not possible, in a properly lit area and one which is monitored by watchmen. Tipping the security guard on a monthly basis can go a long way.

3) door beadings...anything goes.
1) By the time the alarm goes off and one runs to the car, the things they want to steal will be taken out and the culprits will have vanished. This is because the car is parked a bit away from residence. On A'bad visit, my uncle's Wagon R OVRM was stolen and they were sitting at first floor in balcony. Two humans ( I dont like to call them humans ) came on a bike simply broke off the entire casing ( what are interested in is the convex mirror ) and ran away. Screaming running or chasing them is of very little help. This was just Wagon R. I can understand the case with G3HC or any midsizer.

2) At some places it becomes norm to park in unguarded areas or on the side of the road. This is a result of poor planning.

3) Door beadings! Heard this for the first time. I wonder how can one prevent this beading theft.
Old 22nd July 2009, 15:47   #14
BHPian

When I read the thread title, I was under the impression that they managed to just take the mirrors off. They in fact took the entire assembly off the car. Man, this is too much.

Sorry to hear about your friends loss and its a shame that people resort to all these things.
Old 27th July 2009, 11:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Okay, maybe the term I used wasn't self-explanatory . It's basically a black metal frame that is screwed on the inside of the mirror body. Get it? Vid has put forth a clearer explanation here:
Can we get a pic of this ? Explanation is good, but a picture would be a better idea.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks