Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2009, 15:55   #1
BHPian

A Close Shave !!

A Close Shave

It was another usual 12 km drive to work on my i10 today.Since it was Monday,my self and wife (read pregnant carrying 7 months baby) started early to work to beat the Monday morning rush.We were on a good road (Pallikaranai - OMR link road) doing moderate speeds 0f 50-60 kmph with less traffic.There was a Truck approximately some 300 meters in front of us carrying empty crates ("AAVIN" Milk crates) without any ropes attached.All of a Sudden,an Empty crate flies out from the truck and falls right in front of our path.In an evasive manner,i judged the size of the crate and positioned the car in such a way that the crate goes right through beetween the front wheels,while starting to brake.Some how i managed it.Then,the plastic crate started to screech.Stopped the car right at that time,checked with wifey that everything is fine and waited for the bloody truck driver to come down and pick that crate.The Driver came and i bad mouthed him to the extent possible for not properly securing the empty crates using the Rope!!

I was really horrified to see that crate falling off from the truck and landing right in the middle of the road.Now the question is,what should be checked in the car?Anyway,i had left the car in the car park and checked during lunch if there is any leakage from beneath the car.Thank God,there was none and also there is no visual damage to the front of the car.
Should i put the car on Ramp and check any damages or is it OK to carry on?
Old 23rd February 2009, 16:02   #2
BHPian

It is scary to know what you went through and happy that you & your wife are OK. It is advisable to check the underbody for scratches and dents. These kind of scratches might develop into rust! Also, checking would clear all your doubts and free you mind.
Old 23rd February 2009, 16:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

Raajiv
good u dodged the crate smartly. the plastic crate should not be able to cause much damage to the under body going by the sequence of events. but do get the car up on the ramp at the service station to get everything checked out.
if there are any major leakages you would have been able to spot

hope u noted the lorry number and if it makes you happy, do give a written complaint to AAVIN commissioner along with copy to traffic commissioner.
Old 23rd February 2009, 16:16   #4
BHPian

I think u should get ur car checked.. Especially when the situation is that your wife is pregrant. U will be needing the car in emergency, and at that time the car should fail u..
Second thing, its an offense for not trying rope.. So rather than just bad mouthing the driver, u should taken to the cops, and taught a nice lesson..Luckily u missed.. it might would have led to car toppling also
Old 23rd February 2009, 16:21   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatinchoubal View Post
I think u should get ur car checked.. Especially when the situation is that your wife is pregrant. U will be needing the car in emergency, and at that time the car should fail u..
I agree with this suggestion. There is nothing wrong in getting it checked once than living with a feeling.
Old 23rd February 2009, 16:28   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Raajiv
good u dodged the crate smartly. the plastic crate should not be able to cause much damage to the under body going by the sequence of events. but do get the car up on the ramp at the service station to get everything checked out.
if there are any major leakages you would have been able to spot

hope u noted the lorry number and if it makes you happy, do give a written complaint to AAVIN commissioner along with copy to traffic commissioner.
Thanks Guys for your Adivce.I will put the car on the ramp today evening and check it out.

Narayan,
I was tensed so much that i forgot to look at the Lorry Number and other details.I will make it a point here after.Thanks for your concern.
Old 23rd February 2009, 18:59   #7
BHPian

Good that you saw it coming, Raajiv. and good that your family is safe.

Sorry for the off-topic, but I had similar experiences, yes, not once but twice .

First time, a modified free-flow exhaust unit (hehe) of an autorickshaw in front of our car (Maruti 800) simply falls off, leaving me no choice but to drive over it (like the way you did), on the ever-busy Seshadri Raod!. The driver then parks his sporty rick by the side, and tries pulling it out from beneath the car. It took him some time to pull it off as it was stuck, and moreover quite hot too. I had the hazard lights on and was scared seeing BMTC buses driving on either side, at close proximity.

The second time, a helmet falls off from the hands of a motorcycle rider who was holding it, as though it was he was wearing a bangle, hehe. All i could do was bring the car to a screeching halt, and this time, its on the Mysore Road, close to the AMCO factory. I was saved from being rear-ended as there was no traffic at that time of the night.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks