Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2009, 20:00   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
What about the Delhi Outer right road NH1 flyover to Delhi border stretch. Its a mess, and construction on these 20kms has been going on for 5 years now, with no completion in sight.
I didn't get you. Which one? Mukarba Chowk?
Old 27th November 2009, 10:04   #32
Team-BHP Support

Yes same one. That stretch right upto Delhi border(Kundli or something) is under construction from past 5 years, if not more!
Old 27th November 2009, 13:02   #33
Senior - BHPian

The Mukarba chowk is done.

Only the stretch after it remains. Even that place gives you decent average speeds. The only problem one faces there is the dust.

The U-turn right after the bypass bus halt point has been closed and one has to either turn left into Sanjay Gandhi T'port Nagar or go on for 4-5 kms and take the first U-turn available.

If you recall, this particular red light used to be the cause for really long waits to enter into Delhi. All that seems to be gone now.

Old 27th November 2009, 13:35   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Talking about the KMP, Please do not blame the authorities blindly, the work is on full swing. Devoloping a new expressway at a new place is big task from aquiring the land from farmers to landfilling to final surfacing. I am satisfied with the pace of construction at KMP.

KMP will be a big relief to people who travel from gurgaon to other parts of Haryana, chandigarh and Punjab regularly as they wont have to worry about crossing Delhi anymore.
Old 18th April 2010, 23:34   #35
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I was hoping we can discuss the new developments in the Delhi roadmap here. Hopefully this can also serve as a thread for route queries and discussing our favorite traffic tight spots.

Lets see if the mods allow this.

Cheers.

PS: I have a really long and angsty post ready on Naraina and its consequences.
Old 19th April 2010, 16:02   #36
Senior - BHPian

The thread is about roads in Delhi and NCR, I see no reason why mods should have a problem with posts in the same vein.
Old 19th April 2010, 17:04   #37
Senior - BHPian

I was actually requesting a change in the thread's name to encompass rest of the possible topics.

Anyways,

Naraina Flyover

Roads in Delhi and NCR-h9.jpg

Naraina had been a major irritant for people making the North Delhi - South Delhi commute.

Phase I

It had been under construction for 2-3 years during which both sides of traffic were clogged and it would take anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour to cross, depending on how hard you prayed that morning.

Roads in Delhi and NCR-naraina-flyover.jpg

Phase II

Roads in Delhi and NCR-flying13.jpg

Then came the phase when it was opened for the traffic going from North to South. This was onto the lane which was actually meant to accommodate the south to north traffic. This used to mean a bend at the mouth. That led to a few jams, but the general time improved drastically while going from north to south.
The return route was, however, as bad as before if not worse.
They opened an alternate route

Roads in Delhi and NCR-naraina.jpg

The joining point of the detour used to be a hotspot for long jams. All in all it used to take 30 minutes to cross Naraina when coming from South Delhi if you were lucky.

Phase III

Recently the whole flyover was opened and a lot of us drank in joy to it. But then Delhi traffic is unforgiving. There were long jams at the mouth of the flyover when going from North to South.

Blueline buses decided that they could not waste time going under the flyover and they can't forsake their profits either. So now people stand at the mouth of the flyover and all buses stop at the entry point. Being a two lane we now have regular jams at the spot during office hours.

On the way back, things are slightly better. But only slightly, as the flyover joins into the Mayapuri flyover. At the point of joining the road splits into 3 - The flyover, the road under the flyover, a slip road for people turning left from under the flyover.

Now we Delhi-ites aren't very bright; we are easily confused. It is a common sight to see people reversing from the flyover to enter the side road or from the road to enter the side road. Some people are so confused about it till the last moment that they ram into the divider.

So that's our famous Naraina for you.

But the story doesn't end there! We don't eliminate traffic jams, we just shift them forward.
The congestion at Naraina has now been distributed at the mouth of the Rajouri/Raja Garden flyover and the bridge right before the West Punjabi Bagh flyover.

Will reserve them for some other time.

Cheers!

Last edited by EssYouWe : 19th April 2010 at 17:06.
Old 4th August 2010, 16:37   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Talking about the KMP, Please do not blame the authorities blindly, the work is on full swing. Devoloping a new expressway at a new place is big task from aquiring the land from farmers to landfilling to final surfacing. I am satisfied with the pace of construction at KMP.

KMP will be a big relief to people who travel from gurgaon to other parts of Haryana, chandigarh and Punjab regularly as they wont have to worry about crossing Delhi anymore.
Anshuman, what is the current status of the KMP Expressway as on date, as I am a die hard fan of the Himalayas and everytime I go any where I have to cross Delhi. Starting from Jaipur, no matter how early one starts, he/she is bound to be stuck in peak traffic by the time one crosses Delhi and I find this project as a big breather to ease the pain of my neck and seat. I have been trying to follow the details regarding this project on net and thru print but seems like not much has been written bout this project. Last I read bout this project mentioned that this project shall be operational by CWG 2010, any fresh reports, buddy???
Old 4th August 2010, 20:57   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunty1608 View Post
Anshuman, what is the current status of the KMP Expressway as on date, as I am a die hard fan of the Himalayas and everytime I go any where I have to cross Delhi. Starting from Jaipur, no matter how early one starts, he/she is bound to be stuck in peak traffic by the time one crosses Delhi and I find this project as a big breather to ease the pain of my neck and seat. I have been trying to follow the details regarding this project on net and thru print but seems like not much has been written bout this project. Last I read bout this project mentioned that this project shall be operational by CWG 2010, any fresh reports, buddy???
Work on highway is going on at a good pace but ROBs are a big problem especially the one on Delhi-Ambala line.
Old 4th August 2010, 21:19   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunty1608 View Post
The KMP will take years to be functional. Find a alternate route maybe via Jhajjar-Sonepat to bypass Gurgaon and Delhi.
Old 20th August 2014, 10:34   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Roads in Delhi and NCR

Nightmare of driving on the ORR

As most of you know, with the elevated corridor and metro work in progress it has become a nightmare travelling on the outer ring road. Thank god I don't have to use it for my daily commute but only when am headed to the NH1. Last 2 times I spent 2 hours on an average to get to my place in Dwarka from Mukarba Chowk. The traffic pile up is worst during the evenings.

Any alternative roads to get on to NH1 from West Delhi? I was thinking of going via Najafgarh - Bahadurgarh - Sampla - Kharkhoda - Asok Nagar - Murthal

Basically this -
Roads in Delhi and NCR-route1.jpg

Instead of this -
Roads in Delhi and NCR-route2.jpg

Any thoughts?
Old 20th August 2014, 10:47   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Nightmare of driving on the ORR

As most of you know, with the elevated corridor and metro work in progress it has become a nightmare travelling on the outer ring road. Thank god I don't have to use it for my daily commute but only when am headed to the NH1. Last 2 times I spent 2 hours on an average to get to my place in Dwarka from Mukarba Chowk. The traffic pile up is worst during the evenings.

Any alternative roads to get on to NH1 from West Delhi? I was thinking of going via Najafgarh - Bahadurgarh - Sampla - Kharkhoda - Asok Nagar - Murthal

Basically this -
Attachment 1276306

Instead of this -
Attachment 1276307

Any thoughts?
I am a regular traveller between Gurgaon and chandigarh and use the ORR currently. a couple of people have told me that most of the KMP expressway is complete barring a few stretches and the interchanges, and they find it much easier to use this incomplete expressway than travelling through Delhi. the expressway also touches Bahadurgarh, so theoretically you could use this stretch.

Personally, I have not used the KMP till now, as I didnt have the guts to do it yet. waiting for some feedback on this stretch before I start using it.
lalittalwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 10:57   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittalwar View Post
I am a regular traveller between Gurgaon and chandigarh and use the ORR currently. a couple of people have told me that most of the KMP expressway is complete barring a few stretches and the interchanges, and they find it much easier to use this incomplete expressway than travelling through Delhi. the expressway also touches Bahadurgarh, so theoretically you could use this stretch.

Personally, I have not used the KMP till now, as I didnt have the guts to do it yet. waiting for some feedback on this stretch before I start using it.
KMP is far from complete, there are kilometers of stretches where work has not started yet.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 11:02   #44
BHPian

Quote:
KMP is far from complete, there are kilometers of stretches where work has not started yet.
precisely why I have not tried to use this stretch yet. I was unsure about how much of the expressway has been completed. Still await review from some who has travelled the stretch.
Old 20th August 2014, 11:04   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittalwar View Post

Quote:
KMP (red) is a no-go, I understand. Wonder if anyone has taken this other route (blue) ever though?
Name:  route3.PNG
Views: 4715
Size:  285.7 KB

Najafgarh and Bahadurgarh might be an issue but what about the stretch after that?

Most Viewed