Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2014, 11:27   #46
BHPian

Re: Roads in Delhi and NCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
KMP (red) is a no-go, I understand. Wonder if anyone has taken this other route (blue) ever though?
Attachment 1276324

Najafgarh and Bahadurgarh might be an issue but what about the stretch after that?
I think you are mistaken. the road you have marked is the Panipat Rohtak Road, which atleast till rohtak used to be ok. the KMP expressway follows a much tighter route around Delhi. Starts just after Sonipat crossing, passes just beyond Bhadurgarh, touches Badli, and sultanpur and then goes beyond NH8, just after Manesar (part of the route marked in the same map, though not accurately).

you can actually see the road in google earth view of the google maps. it shows the road and interchanges (clover leaf design just after sonipat on NH1 and just after Mansear on NH8) clearly, but unpaved yet. not sure how old the google earth pics would be.
Attached Thumbnails
Roads in Delhi and NCR-route3.jpg  

Last edited by lalittalwar : 20th August 2014 at 11:30. Reason: forgot to add the picture, added now
lalittalwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 11:31   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittalwar View Post
I think you are mistaken. the road you have marked is the Panipat Rohtak Road, which atleast till rohtak used to be ok.
EDIT: Just saw the updated post. So Black one is the KMP? Thanks for correcting.

Blue one is the route I want to explore. Let's see - maybe on the next outing.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 20th August 2014 at 11:33.
Old 20th August 2014, 11:58   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Which one you are referring to? Blue or the Red line?

Blue one is the route I want to explore and Red is the KMP - as I see from the different media reports and even the 1st post of this thread.
The Red one is not the KMP. The one I marked in black is the KMP. In the first post as well, the KMP is shown starting from Kundli (the 'K' in the name) and not Panipat, and then crosses just beyond Bahadurgarh, not Rohtak.

I have not tried the one blue, but I did travel once from Bahadurgarh to Kundli (long time ago), and it was a nightmare. dont remember going through sampla. Most probably followed the route marked here, and joined NH1 at Singhu (dont remember clearly as I was navigated by my sales executive, and it was late evening) .
Attached Thumbnails
Roads in Delhi and NCR-untitled.jpg  

Old 20th August 2014, 12:00   #49
BHPian

Quote:
EDIT: Just saw the updated post. So Black one is the KMP? Thanks for correcting.

Blue one is the route I want to explore. Let's see - maybe on the next outing.
Great!!! do update your experience. will try this route when I plan to travel to Chandigarh in October.
Old 20th August 2014, 12:18   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
KMP (red) is a no-go, I understand. Wonder if anyone has taken this other route (blue) ever though?

Najafgarh and Bahadurgarh might be an issue but what about the stretch after that?
I have not done this stretch in years, Najafgarh sure is crowded and traffic crawls through. Also, i am not sure about road conditions on Bahadurgarh-Karkhoda-Murthal road but for safety reasons avoid this stretch after dark, it's not as safe as National Highway 1.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 12:29   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I have not done this stretch in years, Najafgarh sure is crowded and traffic crawls through. Also, i am not sure about road conditions on Bahadurgarh-Karkhoda-Murthal road but for safety reasons avoid this stretch after dark, it's not as safe as National Highway 1.
Yes. Safety is also a concern.

Other option is Rohtak road till Rohtak and then Rohtak-Panipat. Rohtak Panipat seems to be a toll road now so should be good.
Old 4th January 2015, 11:53   #52
BHPian

Hi. I also frequently drive from DLF Cyber City to Sonipat. From NSP, I go straight towards Wazirpur and come to Mukarba Chowk from Inner Ring Road. It takes 1 hour typically for this stretch. From NSP to Mukarba Chowk, it is 20-25 mins during high traffic and I have not faced Jam situation like NSP-Madhuban Chowk-Mukarba Chowk. Also, there are several roads available in Pitampura, Prashant Vihar area. You can detour depending on case.
I stay in New Gurgaon which is nearer to suggested detours from Bahadurgarh-Kharkhoda. Never dared to take those.
Tip to new people on this route : Never drive to Madhuban Chowk from Mukarba Chowk on Sunday afternoons and evenings. There is Street Market on Sundays. Choke-a-block and it takes 1 hour for these 3.1 KM.
Old 1st February 2015, 10:24   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittalwar View Post
I have not tried the one blue, but I did travel once from Bahadurgarh to Kundli (long time ago), and it was a nightmare. dont remember going through sampla. Most probably followed the route marked here, and joined NH1 at Singhu (dont remember clearly as I was navigated by my sales executive, and it was late evening) .
Hi,
I have traveled most of the portion marked with blue once. Its very relaxed drive, very little traffic and 90% of the road is well maintained with 0% rough patches. The haryana village roads are marvelous, thanks to our Govt. One rarely expects any sort of animal hinderance in this route.

The route I took, from Kurukshetra to Exclusive Floors, DLF Phase V, Gurgaon. Till Murthal it is good old NH1 with reduced diversions till Panipat.

Roads in Delhi and NCR-gurgaon2.png

Regarding time, it was ~15min more to reach home in gurgaon. Reason:

Slow drive (with 60-80 most of the time) because we were new to this route. & Few unexpected bottlenecks.

The overall time taken, IMO, is much better. There was little or no congestion on the route.

Tips:

Name:  alert1.PNG
Views: 1619
Size:  141.6 KB

1. If you take Bahadurgarh Bypass route, other route is right through the heart of city, you need to get off the main road to a slip road before the flyover starts. Marked as "Bahadurgarh Bypass". The slip road was completely un-metalled when we went.

2. There was "Metro" construction going on in the upper portion of the map. (Rohtak-Delhi road, bahadurgarh) Though congestion was far less than what I have seen in Delhi, but it was a bottleneck.

Name:  alert2.PNG
Views: 1788
Size:  118.1 KB

Traffic as quoted.

Quote:
I have not done this stretch in years, Najafgarh sure is crowded and traffic crawls through.
Quote:
Also, i am not sure about road conditions on Bahadurgarh-Karkhoda-Murthal road but for safety reasons avoid this stretch after dark, it's not as safe as National Highway 1.
+1 to that. After dark you won't easily find any sort of human movement.

I went through this route during night before, when we had come to gurgaon for Interview. Since we were 8 of us + 1 taxi driver, and all being Mechanical Engg, the riskiness was reduced
Ashir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2015, 00:45   #54
BHPian

Dear all,

The coming weekend I will be travelling from Delhi domestic airport towards Chanidgarh. My schedule is a little tight once I am at the airport. What's the best route to get on NH1 as fast as possible?

I have down similar drives before when I lived there in the last year. I see 2 options:
1) Take regular ring road that goes through the western parts of the city (Dhaula Kuan - Naraina - Rajaouri - Punjabi bagh towards Mukarba Chowk). But, as far as I remember, Dhaula Kuan metro work was on and saw massive traffic choke-ups.
2) Go through the Lutyen/NDMC area. A better alternative as drive till either of CP or India Gate should be swift. From there on, I can get on the ring road/NH1 that starts at Indraprastha Gas company or ITO office, pass via Red Fort, Kashmere Gate metro on to NH1 at Mukarba Chowk.

Please consider this in mind that I would be trying to cross the city bang on the election day, 7th of Feb! That is the only thing that makes it uncertain on how the NDMC area would be on the day. Any road blocks/diversions expected due to elections anywhere?

Please advise.
Old 4th February 2015, 10:11   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameyawaghmare View Post
Dear all,

The coming weekend I will be travelling from Delhi domestic airport towards Chanidgarh. My schedule is a little tight once I am at the airport. What's the best route to get on NH1 as fast as possible?

I have down similar drives before when I lived there in the last year. I see 2 options:
1) Take regular ring road that goes through the western parts of the city (Dhaula Kuan - Naraina - Rajaouri - Punjabi bagh towards Mukarba Chowk). But, as far as I remember, Dhaula Kuan metro work was on and saw massive traffic choke-ups.
2) Go through the Lutyen/NDMC area. A better alternative as drive till either of CP or India Gate should be swift. From there on, I can get on the ring road/NH1 that starts at Indraprastha Gas company or ITO office, pass via Red Fort, Kashmere Gate metro on to NH1 at Mukarba Chowk.

Please consider this in mind that I would be trying to cross the city bang on the election day, 7th of Feb! That is the only thing that makes it uncertain on how the NDMC area would be on the day. Any road blocks/diversions expected due to elections anywhere?

Please advise.
Go via Dhaula kuan. Central Delhi may have obstructions and diversions. Dhaula kuan you will lose around 20 minutes, but after that its smooth sailing. Problem times are morning and evening. What time do you leave from airport?
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2015, 17:44   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Go via Dhaula kuan. Central Delhi may have obstructions and diversions. Dhaula kuan you will lose around 20 minutes, but after that its smooth sailing. Problem times are morning and evening. What time do you leave from airport?
I'll be leaving domestic airport at 10 AM (assuming flight lands on time). I was also thinking about taking the road that goes from airport signal towards the ring road. But, I did take this last year in opposite direction while going from Paschim Vihar towards the airport and remember how slow it was.

The person who would be driving would be coming from Jaipur departing at 6 AM. I wish to see negligible B2B traffic so as not to cause any fatigue to the driver.
Old 4th February 2015, 19:46   #57
BHPian

Roads in Delhi and NCR

Quote:
I'll be leaving domestic airport at 10 AM (assuming flight lands on time). I was also thinking about taking the road that goes from airport signal towards the ring road. But, I did take this last year in opposite direction while going from Paschim Vihar towards the airport and remember how slow it was.

The person who would be driving would be coming from Jaipur departing at 6 AM. I wish to see negligible B2B traffic so as not to cause any fatigue to the driver.

I did part of the route - Janakpuri > Outer Ring Road > Rohini about a week back on a Saturday. There is traffic - but it is moving traffic.

The opposite lane was much slower. That is if one was coming from Mukarba to Janakpuri side.

But as road traffic in Delhi goes - no amount of planning can prepare one for the surprises.

Check on google maps for traffic situation.

I have a friend who stays in Rohini and prefers to take the ring road to come to Gurgaon. His take - it takes less time via the ring road.

I know I haven't given you a direct answer. I don't have one. I can share what I have experienced and what someone I know does.

Given that you will be travelling on the Election Day - it will be less traffic whatever route you take. Ring road will take less time. Even Janakpuri to Mukarba can be considered.

Last edited by Traveller Nayak : 4th February 2015 at 19:50.
Traveller Nayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2015, 19:55   #58
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller Nayak View Post
I did part of the route - Janakpuri > Outer Ring Road > Rohini about a week back on a Saturday. There is traffic - but it is moving traffic.

The opposite lane was much slower. That is if one was coming from Mukarba to Janakpuri side.

But as road traffic in Delhi goes - no amount of planning can prepare one for the surprises.

Check on google maps for traffic situation.

I have a friend who stays in Rohini and prefers to take the ring road to come to Gurgaon. His take - it takes less time via the ring road.

I know I haven't given you a direct answer. I don't have one. I can share what I have experienced and what someone I know does.

Given that you will be travelling on the Election Day - it will be less traffic whatever route you take. Ring road will take less time. Even Janakpuri to Mukarba can be considered.
Ditto. My car is frequently in Panipat. And from Dwarka, best bet is to go via Janakpuri left via Vikaspuri in to Rohini and Madhuban Chowk and etc. Jam this road is mostly is. Worst is coming back to Delhi at 21:00 onwards. Trucks occupy it all and it becomes hell.
Old 12th February 2015, 15:10   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! From the airport we started at 10:20 AM and were on the NH1 crossing Mukarba Chowk Flyover at 11:10 AM with a sedate route. I took the route: domestic airport - NH8 - Dhaula Kuan - Ring road till Azadpur - couple of signals near AdarshNagar/Jahangipuri - NH1.
Old 12th February 2015, 21:28   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions! From the airport we started at 10:20 AM and were on the NH1 crossing Mukarba Chowk Flyover at 11:10 AM with a sedate route. I took the route: domestic airport - NH8 - Dhaula Kuan - Ring road till Azadpur - couple of signals near AdarshNagar/Jahangipuri - NH1.
You did well. I was wanting to ask how did it go the election day. But then one has the fear of Mods pointing out that the post is not adding any value.

However, on a more serious note - its fascinating to know how less time it takes to cut across Delhi on days such as these. That too a stress free drive.
Traveller Nayak is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed