Team-BHP - Roads in Delhi and NCR
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Roads in Delhi and NCR (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/54093-roads-delhi-ncr-5.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traveller Nayak (Post 3643884)
You did well. I was wanting to ask how did it go the election day. But then one has the fear of Mods pointing out that the post is not adding any value.

However, on a more serious note - its fascinating to know how less time it takes to cut across Delhi on days such as these. That too a stress free drive.

Not a single check-post or diversion on the election day, not a single point of congestion. Even if you were to travel in off-peak hours, driving through NCR is an absolute pleasure. I did go from Greater Noida to CP in flat 30 minutes without over-speeding at 10 PM once, sometime in early 2014. CP to Gurgaon is also 30 minutes via the Chanakyapuri - NH8 post 10 PM that I did experience many times.

We all like to crib about our own city roads, but NCR takes the cake when you talk of signal free and fast roads going connecting the extreme points in the city. Compare that with experiences in any other Indian large city, you might be surprised how many kms one can cross in Delhi-NCR even during the peak times.

BHPians from Delhi, need an info on route in Delhi itself :Frustrati

I travel from Dwarka to CP via Dhaula Kuan. Wanted to know if there is a route by which I can avoid the Dwarka Underpass, Airport merging traffic and then the RTR split traffic from NH8.

There is a route available in the maps as below. I am quite hesitant to take this turn during office hours as this seems to be military zone and I am not keen to take a U turn after traveling quite a few distance here.

I have highlighted the route, please do let me know if this route can be taken and I can reach Dhaula Kuan directly from inside lanes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanwaramit (Post 3713902)

I travel from Dwarka to CP via Dhaula Kuan. Wanted to know if there is a route by which I can avoid the Dwarka Underpass, Airport merging traffic and then the RTR split traffic from NH8.

There is a route available in the maps as below. I am quite hesitant to take this turn during office hours as this seems to be military zone and I am not keen to take a U turn after traveling quite a few distance here.

I have highlighted the route, please do let me know if this route can be taken and I can reach Dhaula Kuan directly from inside lanes.

I don't understand this map as Delhi Cantt can be confusing but I hope you do understand my directions.

My office is in Aurangzeb Road so I take this route daily.

While going towards CP after the dwarka flyover take left from the first signal.
You will then reach a single lane road with two way traffic.

Take the first right - how would you get to know? You'll see a lot of vehicles trying to take the right. Alternatively you can take the second right too, it connects to the same road.

Go straight, as the road ends there will be a signal turn left. This is the case with both exits mentioned above.

keep going straight till you reach the gopinath circle. turn right aka third exit (towards gopinath market).

Keep going straight from the gopinath market, you'll reach a round about. Continue straight there's a compulsary left.

Now there's a compulsary right. TADA! you're at dhaula kaun. Take left continue till CP.

This route is a km or two longer but considering the underpass mess and the chaos near the airport it is much faster.

P.S : You can PM me for directions, maybe you understand it better on the phone. Also on the route I've suggested above there are no restricted roads. My school was in Delhi Cantt so I know this entire route.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanwaramit (Post 3713902)

I think you won't be allowed on that route (after crossing Thimayya Marg) without defence Id. You can take a left to stay on Thimayya Marg and then join the Delhi cantt road passing through Sadar. This will see you join the NH8 right opposite Dhaula Kuan airport express metro station. As for congestion, I am not sure if it will be any better during the office timings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dry Ice (Post 3713906)
I think you won't be allowed on that route (after crossing Thimayya Marg) without defence Id. You can take a left to stay on Thimayya Marg and then join the Delhi cantt road passing through Sadar. This will see you join the NH8 right opposite Dhaula Kuan airport express metro station. As for congestion, I am not sure if it will be any better during the office timings.

Alternatively if one goes via Gopinath Bazaar without entering Parade road or other restricted areas this route is much faster to reach Central Delhi. I've been using this route for about the last one year. I'm a civilian :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 (Post 3713905)
I don't understand this map as Delhi Cantt can be confusing but I hope you do understand my directions.

My office is in Aurangzeb Road so I take this route daily.

Thank you for the detailed directions, got the pointers to check on for my route hunting :)

So this means, I can take that route and try out. I had been very hesitant in taking that route for the fear of taking a U turn after a few kms inside cantonment zone. Will try out the steps as given by you. Though I think I need not touch Dhaula Kuan as I take San Martin Marg since Sardar Patel Marg is choked due to the two signals.

Using this sadar bazar route I can touch ring road and can avoid the signal at Cariappa Marg + Dhaula Kuan Metro station crosssing as well.

Will try out and post directions.

Quote:

Thanks, so that means Thimayya road can be used till Gopinath Bazaar and from there go via Church Road.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 (Post 3713909)
Alternatively if one goes via Gopinath Bazaar without entering Parade road or other restricted areas this route is much faster to reach Central Delhi. I've been using this route for about the last one year. I'm a civilian :D

I was specifically talking about the Parade road. Not the entire route within Cantt. Good to know it is faster than the NH8 route :thumbs up

Poor road work or global warming?

Intense heat wave claims over 800 lives across India; Delhi roads melt

Capital relief on the way as bypass to open on April 15.

Quote:

Mar 23, 2018.Thousands of trucks entering Delhi, choking roads and causing air pollution will have the option to bypass Delhi from mid-April. Prime Minister Narendra Modi is scheduled to inaugurate the 135km bypass connecting Kundli (NH-1), Ghaziabad (NH-12) and Palwal (NH-2) on April 15. He will also inspect the Delhi-UP Gate section of NH-24, which is being widened to 14 lanes.

The opening of the 135km signal-free stretch, also known as Eastern Peripheral Expressway (EPE), will enable vehicles coming through Jaipur to bypass Delhi to head towards Uttarakhand, Kolkata, Uttar Pradesh and Punjab. Similarly, vehicles coming from other directions can use the EPE to bypass Delhi. The Manesar-Palwal section of the priority stretch of the other half of the “Ring Bypass” known as KMP or WPE is already operational. The Manesar-Kundli stretch will be completed by June end.
Full Story: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/63435741.cms

News Source: www.timesofindia.indiatimes.com

Quote:

Prime Minister Narendra Modi is scheduled to inaugurate the 135km bypass connecting Kundli (NH-1), Ghaziabad (NH-12) and Palwal (NH-2) on April 15
That's good news, but Kundli- Palwal should have been prioritized. Will be useful for traveling to UP for persons coming from North if we go by this map. Also, reaching Agra & beyond will be easier for Gurgaon residents.

The stretch from Gurgaon to Palwal was not an expressway till as recently as 7th Jan when I drove to Palwal. I hope that has changed as it is a rutted road. Don't quite understand what they mean by Manesar to Kundli is done as those two are the southern and northern most points and at least I am ignorant about any WPE opening up. Gurgaon Kundli is a route on of my family members traverses couple of times a month and I don't see any WPE here. If I am mistaken it will be the best news for us. If anyone has more data please do share it. For me Kundli, Palwal and Greater Noida are all on the long traffic wading journeys that have to be dealt with each month.

Several times this month I have been driving, in the AM, from Gurgaon to Greater Noida on business and then back in the PM. I dreaded it on the first day till I saw the smoothness of using the Jaipur highway-Lutyens Delhi-Banda Bahadur link flyway-DND and then Yamuna Expressway. On most days it is 110 minutes for 58 kms through the morning traffic. Today being a public holiday it was 65 minutes for 58 kms with only 2 red lights - and I am not a zipper. It reminded me of what driving in Delhi was like in the 1980s - a joy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by V.Narayan (Post 4393665)
The stretch from Gurgaon to Palwal was not an expressway till as recently as 7th Jan when I drove to Palwal. I hope that has changed as it is a rutted road. Don't quite understand what they mean by Manesar to Kundli is done as those two are the southern and northern most points and at least I am ignorant about any WPE opening up. Gurgaon Kundli is a route on of my family members traverses couple of times a month and I don't see any WPE here. If I am mistaken it will be the best news for us. If anyone has more data please do share it. For me Kundli, Palwal and Greater Noida are all on the long traffic wading journeys that have to be dealt with each month.

I travelled towards Vrindavan a couple of weeks back and used this expressway to travel. The expressway is very much there I can confirm. From Gurgaon to Palwal at least, which was the route taken by me. But for anyone who gets tempted by this empty stretch of tarmac, there are speed cameras on the entire route with the limit set to 100 km/hr.

It took a lot of restraint on my part to maintain that 100 km/hr speed considering the low traffic volume on this route. But the expressway has been nicely made with proper access control, although there are some tyre repair shops that have been set up just by the roadside along the highway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akhil994 (Post 4393670)
I travelled towards Vrindavan a couple of weeks back and used this expressway to travel. The expressway is very much there I can confirm. From Gurgaon to Palwal at least, which was the route taken by me. But for anyone who gets tempted by this empty stretch of tarmac, there are speed cameras on the entire route with the limit set to 100 km/hr.

It took a lot of restraint on my part to maintain that 100 km/hr speed considering the low traffic volume on this route. But the expressway has been nicely made with proper access control, although there are some tyre repair shops that have been set up just by the roadside along the highway.

Thank you for your prompt answer. Very encouraging. I suppose from Gurgaon to Sohna is the old battered road and from the left turn towards Palwal the expressway starts. I'll discover soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by V.Narayan (Post 4393672)
Thank you for your prompt answer. Very encouraging. I suppose from Gurgaon to Sohna is the old battered road and from the left turn towards Palwal the expressway starts. I'll discover soon.

While going towards Vrindavan, since we were two families we planned to have breakfast at Haldiram's that is just before the Kherki Daula toll. Post which we took the expressway onwards and then turned towards the expressway on towards Palwal. I don't remember exactly where we took the turn from, since I was not navigating and was following the lead car 😛

Whereas on the return journey we took the expressway and then Sohna Road since that was the shortest route available at that time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by V.Narayan (Post 4393672)
I suppose from Gurgaon to Sohna is the old battered road and from the left turn towards Palwal the expressway starts. I'll discover soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akhil994 (Post 4393964)
Post which we took the expressway onwards and then turned towards the expressway on towards Palwal. I don't remember exactly where we took the turn from, since I was not navigating and was following the lead car

The KMP Highway starts about 8kms ahead of Manesar - IMT Chowk (towards Jaipur), the place is called Panchgaon. Now, there are enough sign boards (showing Palwal etc.) that its hard to miss. Also, after Manesar, this is the first bridge that crosses over the Delhi-Jaipur Highway. Toll charges from Panchgaon to Palwal are Rs. 70.

I have been using this stretch for quite sometime and in addition to speed cameras one needs to be careful of people driving on wrong side.