Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2009, 23:42   #1
BHPian

Roads in Delhi and NCR

Hi,

Hope mods are okay with this. We can discuss here current and upcoming roads in NCR - which has by far the best road infrastructure in the country.

One project that really excites me is the upcoming KMP highway, which along with the eastern peripheral highway will make a new ring road around Delhi. No doubts the city will eventually expand to reach this ring as well.

Detailed plan:

http://srishti109.com/wp-content/upl...5-2008-001.jpg
Old 25th February 2009, 08:08   #2
Team-BHP Support

So it will be completed by 2050?
Old 25th February 2009, 09:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

The key difference is current and upcoming, which as we all know, is neither up on the ground nor coming in the next few years. Every week in Delhi papers, we see headlines on say `Delhites to zip through say 10 km in 5 mins'. The story then mentions some plans or master plan to do this or that. That is the end of the plan, forget the road. In my view, more supply planned is good, but it is planned now, and by the time they are up and coming, my son may have become a grandfather. Even if they are executed within a reasonable delay (say 5 years), without demand management, the demand fills up the supply, and it becomes the same as before. For a good example, see Delhi-Gurgaon post expressway, and Delhi-Gurgaon, pre expressway in the early 2000s. Almost the same time taken at almost all times.
Old 25th February 2009, 20:45   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So it will be completed by 2050?
Well...

Quote:

The ambitious bypasses which are to girdle Delhi in semi-circular arcs through UP in the east and Haryana in the west, are all set to miss the July 2009 deadline by a wide mark. Only 12% of the work on the WPE is complete while construction is yet to begin on the EPE as the project has received just a single bid, a Supreme Court monitoring committee has said in a damning report submitted to the apex court on Friday.

Both WPE (Kundli-Manesar-Palwal) and EPE (Sonepat-Baghpat-Ghaziabad), having a combined length of 269 km, are lagging badly. The deadline for WPE was July 27, 2009 but the monitoring committee on inspection found that only 12.2% of the work had been carried out by contractors till December 31, 2008 as against the target of 73.21%.

The 135.65 km long WPE was awarded on a built, operate and transfer (BOT) basis to a concessionaire of KMP Expressway Ltd, a special purpose vehicle formed by Madhucon, Apollo and DSC consortium on November 14, 2005 for a concession period of 23 years and 9 months, including the three-year construction period.

go here for the gory details:

No escape from killer trucks -Delhi-Cities-The Times of India
Old 1st March 2009, 12:58   #5
BHPian

The formal inauguration of Mukarba chowk - commonly known as 'bypass' - happens today. Chandigarh - Delhi commuters please thank god! Anyone entering the city post 9 PM was guaranteed not to leave before 10:30 PM, lets see if this has reduced now.

Shimla drive to take 1 hour less-India-The Times of India

Quote:
Shimla drive to take 1 hour less
27 Feb 2009, 0154 hrs IST, Dipak Dash, TNN

NEW DELHI: From Sunday, the drive to Chandigarh, Shimla and other places along National Highway 1 could be faster by up to an hour. That's when the Mukarba Chowk in north Delhi, claimed to be the busiest intersection in the country with a daily traffic load of 3.3 lakh vehicles, becomes fully signal-free with the opening of the grade separator project.

The intersection is the city's gateway to the northern states and currently sees average waiting time ranging between 15 minutes to an hour even during non-peak hours.

Public Works Department officials said the Rs 195-crore grade separator would be opened to public on Sunday though its formal inauguration would depend on when the general elections are announced. ``Additional facilities for pedestrians and bus users would come up soon,'' said an official. Six escalators and two lifts will soon be installed for painless movement of commuters taking state roadways buses at the flyover. The project opens after a delayed of three months.

A huge number of commercial vehicles use the crossing to enter the city. The average peak hour traffic volume is approximately 20,000 vehicles per hour and even the non-peak traffic volume is at least 11,000 vehicles/hr. ``It was a difficult project. We started construction of the flyover only after making the four slip roads operational. The project duration was suggested three years during the estimate preparation period. But it was reduced to two years. We could do it 27 months,'' said project manager P S Chauhan.

The main flyover has been built at GT Karnal Road and Outer Ring Road crossing leading to Wazirabad and Rohini. It is connected to the other two arms of the intersection towards Azadpur and Karnal through four slip roads and four clover leaves. The slip roads make left turns signal-free for traffic coming on all four sides. Similarly, vehicles wanting to take right turns at the crossing get onto the flyover or move down using the clover leaf.

The flyover is the first-of-its-kind in Delhi where separate four-metre wide separate carriageways have been built for cyclists and cycle rickshaws. Since the cycle tracks do not interfere with motor-vehicle lanes on the flyover, this feature provides them safe and seamless movement. Two bus stops have also been built on the flyover itself so that people coming from interstate buses don't have to walk much. To enable them to climb down, staircases and ramps have also been provided on both sides.

``In next few months we will install lifts and escalators for pedestrians,'' Chauhan said adding that these facilities were included during the change of scope of the project and hence were not part of the original plan. As per the plan, six escalators and two lifts would be installed later. Officials claimed that the beautification and other works would be completed in 4-5 months without disturbing the traffic flow.

Although throwing open of the flyover would bring huge relief to the commuters at the crossing, there is visible concern of traffic jam at Sanjay Gandhi Transport Nagar crossing.
Old 2nd March 2009, 10:51   #6
Team-BHP Support

Don't be very happy. So what if this chowk is open now. What lies ahead is a bigger nightmare. Its called shifting of the traffic jam,
I moved to NCR in 2005, and after this chowk NHAI work was always a fiasco. They have not been able to make proper 4 lane of 30kms in 4 years. This is the great highway authority of India.

With each passing day all they do is put invisible diversions. So drive at your own risk. If you lose concentration momentarity, you can easily go into a ditch because where the road ends and the ditch starts, there are no markers!
Old 2nd March 2009, 11:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer - Not 2050, you gotta be a bit more fair , I'd bet 2025

It will be a nightmare till it is completed. Look at South delhi today. It is BAD because of the metro construction.

But yes, once it is made, then it will of course be excellent to drive. But Would we not be out of fuel by that time and be driving Hybrids !!

Think about it
Old 2nd March 2009, 12:03   #8
BHPian

Ghazipur flyover

Any idea anyone when the Ghazipur flyover will be operational? I commute to Noida from Dwarka everyday and that is a painful junction to cross.

Also, some advice on the best route to take Dwarka - Noida will be appreciated
Old 2nd March 2009, 13:22   #9
Team-BHP Support

I think Ring Road - DND is the best since DND flyover usually does not see jams. Its the best entry point to Noida when coming in From Delhi
Old 2nd March 2009, 13:41   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
Any idea anyone when the Ghazipur flyover will be operational? I commute to Noida from Dwarka everyday and that is a painful junction to cross.

Also, some advice on the best route to take Dwarka - Noida will be appreciated
Dwarka to Noida and getting stuck at Ghazipur, what route are you taking mate.

The route you should take :::
  • Shortest : Dwarka - Ring Road - DND - Noida
  • Slowest : Dwarka - Outer Ring Road - Sarita Vihar - Noida
  • Fastest : Dwarka - Dhaula Kuan - 11 Murti - 3 Murti - Akbar Road - India Gate - Pragati Maidan - Nizammudin Bridge - Mayur Vihar - Noida
Old 2nd March 2009, 13:54   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
  • Fastest : Dwarka - Dhaula Kuan - 11 Murti - 3 Murti - Akbar Road - India Gate - Pragati Maidan - Nizammudin Bridge - Mayur Vihar - Noida
Avoid this route untill the flyover at Mayur vihar entry to noida(near sector 2) is complete. Moreover due to buses stopping to pick up passengers anywhere, the Nizammudin Flyover sees a lot of bottleneck inspite of it being signal free.
Old 2nd March 2009, 15:28   #12
BHPian

I take the 3rd ("Fastest") one that you mention. Akbar road, India Gate, pragati maidan, akshardham, highway via ghazipur and then to noida sec 62. I guess there is nothing faster and more convenient than this.

Thanks buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
Dwarka to Noida and getting stuck at Ghazipur, what route are you taking mate.

The route you should take :::
  • Shortest : Dwarka - Ring Road - DND - Noida
  • Slowest : Dwarka - Outer Ring Road - Sarita Vihar - Noida
Old 2nd March 2009, 16:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think Ring Road - DND is the best since DND flyover usually does not see jams. Its the best entry point to Noida when coming in From Delhi
+1 to that, DND is the best option.
As for the projects well they will take long long time to complete so no hope right now.
Old 2nd March 2009, 20:23   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Don't be very happy. So what if this chowk is open now. What lies ahead is a bigger nightmare. Its called shifting of the traffic jam,
I moved to NCR in 2005, and after this chowk NHAI work was always a fiasco. They have not been able to make proper 4 lane of 30kms in 4 years. This is the great highway authority of India.

With each passing day all they do is put invisible diversions. So drive at your own risk. If you lose concentration momentarity, you can easily go into a ditch because where the road ends and the ditch starts, there are no markers!
So the solution lies in not constructing flyovers?

10 years back people mocked the idea of a signal free road - but they finally believed in when the flyovers started to come up. Thankfully, the construction pace has only increased. Sadly, the traffic continues to grow at a higher rate and thats why you see those jams on ring road. The future lies in public transport and there the improvement is lacking.

BRT was a good idea - but ToI and like - which are basically tabloids under the garb of a 'newspaper' have ridiculed it with complete partiallity since they cater to the English speaking population. Instead of educating the public it they went off on a smear campaign. This time around unfortunately, it seems that the senseless mocking has forced the Delhi govt to curtail the project.

Clearly multi-pronged attack on the problem is required - but it should defintely include building more flyovers even if another crossing is affected, because not 100% of the traffic will move to the other crossing - remember there are 12 directions on each one.

Back to topic, the quality of execution of projects has varied, perhaps this one was a pain, but others have been quick and well done. Ashram, Savitri Cinema and Pansheel are examples (albeit much smaller in scope).

Btw: AFAIK this was not executed by NHAI, but by PWD.
Old 2nd March 2009, 21:23   #15
Team-BHP Support

Solution is to plan in advance, to plan for future traffic and not current traffic.
As for my post, since I do that stretch frequently, I am only saying that it is not going to cut down my travel time by 1 hour.
AS for PWD and NHAI, I was talking about the stretch after the flyover. I think its called transport nagar or something

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks