Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2009, 17:42   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
Was the car stationary or was it in motion when this happened.

By looking at the car ( particularly by looking at the damage on windscreen ) it seems that the car hit the Barasingha at some speed.

The title of the thread should be "Santro attacks on a Barasingha ( Swamp Deer ) ".
This cannot be the case buddy!! Had a moving car hit a Barasingha, then it definitely would have impacted the Bumper and the bonnet, but it is not the case here....

This case seems a bit strange, the side body damages are understandable but the windscreen?? Probably the windshield had problems already and the owner wanted to replace them as well under insurance.
Old 25th February 2009, 19:19   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Warrior View Post
This cannot be the case buddy!! Had a moving car hit a Barasingha, then it definitely would have impacted the Bumper and the bonnet, but it is not the case here....

This case seems a bit strange, the side body damages are understandable but the windscreen?? Probably the windshield had problems already and the owner wanted to replace them as well under insurance.

Bumper gets damaged only when you hit a something which is griped to surface. For eg : A sitting cow on the road.

Animals like a Horse, Donkey or even a Cow, a Barasingha, have light legs and do not have that grip on road and becuase of less grip the bumper often doesnt get damaged.

As soon as you hit any of such animal front on, it becomes air borne and more often then not its lands on your wind screen, that is what i have seen happening twice on Delhi Agra stretch.
Old 25th February 2009, 19:44   #33
Senior - BHPian

Pardus Holmes: Elementary, my dear TBHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardus View Post
This is definitely not a Barashingha attacking a Santro. I feel it's completely rubbish and a plot by the owner
1. to claim the damages from Insurance for his own negligence.
2. to escape from any legal consequences.

If you observe the damages closely it's a clear indication of Santro hitting the Barasingha from front on it's left hand side. The Santro has hit the animal straight on it's belly crushing the ribs and at the same time the headlight and bonnet with side fenders. Due to the speed of the vehicle and low slung bonnet, the animal has been pulled above and might have rolled it's body to face the legs towards the wind shield. This has finally made a piercing impact on the glass due to the impact of hooves.
Wow! As someone rightly said, you are the true Sherlock of TBHP! I'm sure you can also tell us (by measuring the height of the point of impact) what height the animal was (in centimetres). Also by measuring the thickness of the piercing, you can identify whether the animal was male or female!

On a serious note, when we humans pass through animal habitat, its our duty to maintain caution, not theirs. We made the road, we drove the vehicle through it. It was not like the deer itself came to the city and attacked a car at random.
Old 25th February 2009, 20:09   #34
Senior - BHPian

The picture tells an incident where the driver has got into a fight with few locals (atleast a believable version) ! Windshield is definitely a work of an iron rod or something similar. Side could be just the impact of a strong hand work (santro has a thin metal which can be pushed inside with a kick). A swamp deer should attend a marshial arts class to create so much of dent at various places ! What was the driver doing anyway ? Had he gone for a pee or was sleeping inside ? Anyway insurance guys would have added 'swamp deer attack' not eligible for claims anymore !!
Old 25th February 2009, 21:59   #35
Senior - BHPian

Well for guys thinking it cant happen let me tell you these incidents do happen. Sambars are known to dart across and this happens in UK also where lots of bikers also have been injured.
One uncle in my place was badly injured as his car door was hit by a bison and the animals horn pierced his body.
Only thing i can say is bad luck and next time while driving through forests be slow for your safety. If you have an accident with an animal you can be booked by the forest department too.
Old 25th February 2009, 23:00   #36
BHPian

Impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsingh007 View Post
Hi Guys ,
On of my friend's friend was going to McLeod Ganj (HP) on their Santro when apparently they were attacked by a Barasingha on Lake Road,
So my question here is how can we prevent such accidents and also how can we distract the animal to stop attacking the vehicle ?

The Car Before the Accident:
Attachment 104796
and after the attack :
Attachment 104795

I know this animal very well, it also found in Kashmir, usually we go hunting into the wild shooting some birds etc, Bara Singha is a very timid creature n shy too.
Cant stand the sight of humans, as soon as he sees a human he will flee swiftly.

Probably as others pointed out , i also reckon,its a Hit and run case
Old 26th February 2009, 07:40   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Anyway insurance guys would have added 'swamp deer attack' not eligible for claims anymore !!
Nah, they are not going to buy that argument not by a long shot
Old 26th February 2009, 12:00   #38
Senior - BHPian

the barasingha must have had real long horns, to get the center of the windshield (almost!). Do they actually have that long horns?
Old 26th February 2009, 13:22   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_boy View Post
From my trip to Ooty through Bandipur I insist the driver NOT TO do the below points:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
4. Driving with blaring music the way kids do on Brigade Road or Delhi in general.
5. Stopping in forest area and stepping out to take a walk. (not safe at all)
6. Littering in forests (for that matter anywhere).
We have an excellent thread on this : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...val-guide.html

Please continue the discussion on things to do / not to do in that thread.

cya
R

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks