Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2009, 09:48   #1
BHPian

What dog thinks about a stationary Car at night

Lately I have been observing street dogs resting on cars roofs at night.

Not sure what is it that they like up there.

Its actually very rediculous to see dogs on car roofs and it becomes more absurd when you see one or rather two on top of your car's roof.

It has happened twice or thrice with my cars.

Now what has happened is in trying to reach to the roof they have left some scratches on my cars bonnet and roof, along with it they have left some nail marks on the windscreen as well.

What I am worried about is that, if it happens more frequently then the state of the bonnet, wind screen and roof will be really bad.

Has any of the member faced something like this. How can this be avoided.

EDIT ::: Goodness me, this morning when I came down I saw two dogs on my cars roof doing all kinds of hanking and panking.

Last edited by Bubby : 26th February 2009 at 09:51.
Old 26th February 2009, 09:54   #2
BANNED

Not seen until now man, that is rather strange for dogs. But it is not unthinkable, they being very curious. Can you post some pics?
Old 26th February 2009, 09:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

thats indeed a new one. I know of cats sleeping on the roof but dogs?

maybe this is because the metal retains the body heat and passes it back, unlike the road.
Old 26th February 2009, 10:05   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Not seen until now man, that is rather strange for dogs. But it is not unthinkable, they being very curious. Can you post some pics?
Hey Zaks, currently i dont have any pic of the same, would surely post one once I click one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
thats indeed a new one. I know of cats sleeping on the roof but dogs?

maybe this is because the metal retains the body heat and passes it back, unlike the road.
Well Madan, its a very common sight in Delhi, at least to me, this happens generally when the traffic has settled down, late in night.

Regarding the heat transfer thing I do agree with you, because in summers the groud temperature is more and the temperature of metal is low, so may be to get some cool they climb up.

But how can one avoid this.
Old 26th February 2009, 10:05   #5
BHPian

Hey Bubby!, Do you live any where near Kalkaji Double Storey or Pocket 40, because that is the only place i've seen this happen besides some place in faridabad.

O.T. I've even seen a dog named by the pocket 40 kids as bunny kutta as it rests on the balcony of one old uncle's roof after climbing his car parked outside.

@Zaks, why do you want pics of dogs doing some hanking-panking on bubby's car roof?, Getting a fetish are we?
Old 26th February 2009, 10:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hanking & Panking ?? Bubby, your car seems to have become something else, while most people would hank & pank inside the car, the dogs seem to do it on top of the car.

Get a good car cover to avoid scratches.
Old 26th February 2009, 10:21   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy1400 View Post
Hey Bubby!, Do you live any where near Kalkaji Double Storey or Pocket 40, because that is the only place i've seen this happen besides some place in faridabad.

O.T. I've even seen a dog named by the pocket 40 kids as bunny kutta as it rests on the balcony of one old uncle's roof after climbing his car parked outside.

@Zaks, why do you want pics of dogs doing some hanking-panking on bubby's car roof?, Getting a fetish are we?

Well yes I stay in Kalkaji, but in F-Block, but I think its not area specific, I have seen in some other places as well in south delhi, specifically Jangpura, GK, Lajpat Nagar area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Hanking & Panking ?? Bubby, your car seems to have become something else, while most people would hank & pank inside the car, the dogs seem to do it on top of the car.

Get a good car cover to avoid scratches.
Well you know what I had this GM origninal car cover for my AVEO, that water proof kinds, and it was torned to bits by the dogs. I bought it for Rs 2500

I think I will have to buy those Green colour ones ( TIRPAL ) made of material used by truck guys to cover the good :-)

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th February 2009 at 12:17. Reason: 2 smileys max please.
Old 26th February 2009, 10:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
I think I will have to buy those Green colour ones ( TIRPAL ) made of material used by truck guys to cover the good
That is tarpaulin, it is canvas, that could be even more damaging to the car than those hanky panky dogs.
Old 26th February 2009, 10:31   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
That is tarpaulin, it is canvas, that could be even more damaging to the car than those hanky panky dogs.
You know what I was thinking about the same after posting, that would cause even more damage, as the material is very rough, hard and heavy.

What to do yaar.

Guys please suggest something, how this be avoided.
Old 26th February 2009, 10:33   #10
BHPian

Quote:
I think I will have to buy those Green colour ones ( TIRPAL ) made of material used by truck guys to cover the good
This is first time i am hearing this . Well u can use tirpal but its very heavy and might leave minute scratchs on the body.
You can put the parachute material cover and on the top put tirpal.
Lets see what the dogs do with tirpal
Old 26th February 2009, 10:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You know what I was thinking about the same after posting, that would cause even more damage, as the material is very rough, hard and heavy.

What to do yaar.

Guys please suggest something, how this be avoided.
We had this problem when we were back in Saudi Arabia, there it was cats. Huge big ones. Making all kind of scratches on the windscreen as well as on the bonnet and the boot. One of my friend found a unique solutuon. He placed a stuffed dog on the roof and watched. The kitties were sort of discouraged by the stuffed dog. It may not work here, as stuffed cats could work the opposite with doggies.
I think you must try some stuffed toy looking like a dog-catcher or something and put it up there.
Old 26th February 2009, 10:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

Thats something I have faced alot and I had no options to shoo those street dogs away as they are all come under the custody of my mom .

Covering it with Tirpal will not help are they will tore it apart. but still damage Tirpal will do will be much much less than the scratches dogs will mark, which are un-recoverable

Best solution is Put a Throned Bush. small one, on the roof for few days, so that the have no space to sleep, and dogs will leave the habit of sitting on top after some days. Also putting the water soaked cloth on the roof will help. Some of the weired solutions I have tried and works

Also if you park in confined place, you will no have this problems. Dogs love to sit on the roof of the cars which are parked in open that gives 360deg view.

Recently I am facing this problem with Peacocks instead of Dogs. My place in Gurgaon have lots and lots of peacocks which jump from one car to other and leave scartch marks.

trying to device a solution for this

Last edited by rkbharat : 26th February 2009 at 10:51.
Old 26th February 2009, 10:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

Read this thread of mine, it has pictures of dogs on cars in my building with a detailed account.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ar-worlds.html
Old 26th February 2009, 11:23   #14
BHPian

Hi Bubby, the dogs have probably included your car within their territory

Dogs can be dissuaded by strong smells, I remember reading somewhere that tiger or lion poo really scares dogs away ! I'm guessing pepper or chilli-powder would also help.

P.S. - I sincerely hope the canines in Chennai don't pick up on this !
Old 26th February 2009, 11:35   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy1400 View Post
Quote:
Well yes I stay in Kalkaji, but in F-Block, but I think its not area specific, I have seen in some other places as well in south delhi, specifically Jangpura, GK, Lajpat Nagar area.
I had the same issue with one bloody dog when I used to stay in E Block GKII - ruined the roof of my Ikon. Had it painted but the mutt didn't give up - started climbing again.

Finally bought one of those toy pistols which fire pellets. Took a few nice pellets over a period of a couple of months before he stopped.

(Now, please don't pounce on me, I like dogs myself but this one was the pits!)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks