Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2009, 19:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

Help-Superb's driver side RVM broken by a cyclist.

Guys
a cyclist hit close friend's 4 month old Superb around an hour ago and now the driver RVM is smashed completely
he is quite upset as the car is spotless apart from what happened today.
how much does it cost?
would it be wise to check around for swaps from any totalled cars?
or may be the chor bazar
since he is expecting a big dent on the wallet.
help guys
Old 1st March 2009, 20:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

A new Superb mirror complete is within 10000. as per latest Autocar magazine prices.
Imagine my plight. Last week a stupid 3 wheeler goods carrier guy crashed my right Window rear view mirror completely of my ML350. The cost for a new one is! Rs. 40000. and on back order!!
Which Chor bazaar can I go to man?!
Old 1st March 2009, 20:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
cyclist hit close friend's 4 month old Superb around an hour ago and now the

he is expecting a big dent on the wallet.
help guys
Talk about a dent in the wallet.
Your friend bought a overpriced/unloved/unpopular car 4 months before end of production discounts nothwistanding he's probably going to lose about 12 lakhs in depreciation in the 1st year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Aew mirror completely of my ML350. The cost for a new one is! Rs. 40000. and on back order!!
THe one in Frankfurt or maybe London!
Old 1st March 2009, 20:27   #4
Team-BHP Support

Contact nigel edwards at export@gsfcarparts.com

Give him my reference - ajit matthew. He will give you a price + shipping. May need your chassis no

For an octy it is 48 pounds non heated , 65 heated (2500-3250) + 10 pounds to mail it over
Old 1st March 2009, 20:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

Dont go for a chor bazzar one. I doubt the quality and also the integrity of those pieces. If pure bad luck, but one has to shell out the huge money involved. If only the convex mirror is smashed, it would have been a different story.
At the end of the day, whatever is bought and installed in the car, it must function properly. Avoid driving with those ORVMs ( ears ) opened. They are the first one to take impact from pedestrain and/or two wheelers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
A new Superb mirror complete is within 10000. as per latest Autocar magazine prices.
Imagine my plight. Last week a stupid 3 wheeler goods carrier guy crashed my right Window rear view mirror completely of my ML350. The cost for a new one is! Rs. 40000. and on back order!!
What are these ORVMs made of I mean which material they constitute of. Its overcharging the customer, often rampant in India.
Old 1st March 2009, 21:18   #6
BHPian

where did u get the rs 10000 price from for the superb the laura side mirror itself costs 13000
by the way the new superb is launching in a weeks time i hope your friend got a huge discount when he brought his car
Old 2nd March 2009, 14:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys.
just ordered the RVM got a quote for 18K,less than what was expected.
the car is 4 months old has done around 5K now and was bought used at a hefty discount.
@aggoswami,what will the RVM's use if we close them while driving?
Old 2nd March 2009, 14:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Thanks guys.
just ordered the RVM got a quote for 18K,less than what was expected.
the car is 4 months old has done around 5K now and was bought used at a hefty discount.
@aggoswami,what will the RVM's use if we close them while driving?

A RVM for 18k? And thats less than what was expected?

Somethings weird when you have to pay such huge sums of money for a lil mirror and plastic. Looks like we're being robbed in broad daylight. Don't people here find these costs astronomical? Or is it just me who is from another era?
Old 2nd March 2009, 16:41   #9
BHPian

I really can't understand how a bicycle broke it. Superb's ORVMs are a bit sturdy isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
A RVM for 18k? And thats less than what was expected?

Somethings weird when you have to pay such huge sums of money for a lil mirror and plastic. Looks like we're being robbed in broad daylight. Don't people here find these costs astronomical? Or is it just me who is from another era?
Lalvaz:
Some Merc's ORVM cost more than a lakh. No one can justify this price. but they set these price based on the price of the car.

Last edited by MadRash : 2nd March 2009 at 16:45.
Old 2nd March 2009, 16:42   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Avoid driving with those ORVMs ( ears ) opened. They are the first one to take impact from pedestrain and/or two wheelers.
Another angle of thought would be to never take your car out of the garage. That way, noone or nothing will ever hit it.

Between, did you really mean what you said?!
Old 2nd March 2009, 16:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
...... Avoid driving with those ORVMs ( ears ) opened.
If that is the case, he doesn't need to replace it with a new 'workable one', he could as well buy a dummy or shut it out. WHy spend money on something you are not going to 'use' anyway.!!
Old 3rd March 2009, 11:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRash View Post
Lalvaz:
Some Merc's ORVM cost more than a lakh. No one can justify this price. but they set these price based on the price of the car.

I hear you Madrash, but my mind cant seem to digest it. These figures seem completely out of whack. I mean, think about it, there's a little plastic, a lil mirror, a lil mechanism for adjusting the mirrors, perhaps a small motor for opening and closing the ORVM, a small washing mechanism, a lil heating element, thats about as high tech as an ORVM could possibly be. And look at how much they charge for this???

Methinks we Indians ought to reverse engineer and manufacture these things, surely Mercedes or Skoda do not manufacture these themselves and we're surely capable of making this in India for a fraction of the price that they charge us.

Dead serious about this, can we have a listing of the most overpriced spares? I'm seriously contemplating starting a unit to manufacture them myself. Damn, if I can sell just 100 of those merc mirrors for 50k each, I'll be sitting with a pile of cash in one of those mercs myself.
Old 3rd March 2009, 14:01   #13
BHPian

I dont mind being your business partner Lalit

i was quickly going through this thread ,personally i have not reached the stage where in i can buy a superb of my own but then buddy if one can spend 20 lakh on owning the car why is there so much noise about the ormv's price? ok it pinches to see a cyclist brush away the mirror but end of story man go to the showroom and buy it not using the orvm is dangerous.

would it really justify a superb owner to do rounds of 'chor bazaar',thats for people like lalvaz and me who drive a santro man.hehee

Last edited by Rajesh Rawal : 3rd March 2009 at 14:04.
Old 4th March 2009, 16:17   #14
Ice
BHPian

Consider this: The Opel Astra's ORVM, back in 1997, was Rs.16,000/-, as quoted by ACT Motors, Chennai (authorized dealer). 12 years now, and the blokes are still bleeding us.
Old 4th March 2009, 16:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

You are talking about OVRM for Superb being costly. My b-i-l got his left mirror of WagonR Vxi thrashed and was lighter by 7k after that. Even WagonR? Agreed that it was an electically adjustable OVRM, but still it is pretty steep for that car, and that too from MUL.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks