Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2016, 08:56   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Yellow Sticker Shakedown In Gujarat Update: Rule abolished from March 2, 2015

Yesterday, I had been to Ahmedabad. Was pulled over near Sarkhej before bridge, hardly a couple of kms. from Narol. An individual in police uniform and wearing black sunglasses approaches me, asks for respective documents. Was quite polite in entire process, did check my car too. Nothing wrong found, he takes my license and asks me to follow him to an Inspector who is standing 20-30 mtrs. away.
Was informed that my car is not having yellow sticker. Told them to give me a Memo and I shall pay fine. Damage to pocket : Rs. 100/-. License handed back to me after the license number is taken down on memo. So this rule is not entirely abolished it seems. Many cars were being stopped specially those which did not have GJ-01, GJ-27 and GJ-18 registration.

The inspector talked to me for 5-7 minutes and shook hands. Passers by thought that I am friendly to Inspector. Inspector did ask about my education, and then was referring me as "Sir". Was surprising.

Dont know if this is wrong or right, but its better to have that yellow sticker. My Swift had one, but due to an accident the right headlight was replaced, and with the old light, yellow sticker was gone. Shall have a new one today.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 8th July 2016 at 08:58.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 09:58   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Yellow Sticker Shakedown In Gujarat Update: Rule abolished from March 2, 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Was informed that my car is not having yellow sticker. Told them to give me a Memo and I shall pay fine. Damage to pocket : Rs. 100/-. License handed back to me after the license number is taken down on memo. So this rule is not entirely abolished it seems.
Did they mention the offence on the memo? Did you enlighten them that the rule has been scrapped now?
Old 8th July 2016, 12:07   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - I shall be driving down from Mumbai to Rajasthan via Gujarat in the first week of August for my holiday. I'll put the yellow thingy to prevent any unnecessary incident (I don't want my holiday to get spoilt and in any case I will put it outside the headlight's effective area, so it will not interfere with the headlights as I'll be doing full night driving), but I am worried that the glue will spoil the headlight lens. I guess the numberplatewallah plastic material in yellow color should be good enough, because numberplate letters do come off. I guess I will try it out first.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 8th July 2016, 12:16   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear all - I shall be driving down from Mumbai to Rajasthan via Gujarat in the first week of August for my holiday. I'll put the yellow thingy to prevent any unnecessary incident (I don't want my holiday to get spoilt and in any case I will put it outside the headlight's effective area, so it will not interfere with the headlights as I'll be doing full night driving), but I am worried that the glue will spoil the headlight lens. I guess the numberplatewallah plastic material in yellow color should be good enough, because numberplate letters do come off. I guess I will try it out first.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
I had done this and the glue ruined my headlight lens. The normal vinyl from the number plate wala should do the trick, but again don't know because of the heat generated from the headlight.
Old 8th July 2016, 14:24   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
The easiest would be to stick Yellow insulation tape and that should do the job well. Also, completely reversible as you later pull it and spray Colin and wipe the residual glue.

As for me, I have it in both the cars but I have used Reflective Vinyl Sticker as my drives to GJ are frequent (at least twice an year) and I retained it for the same reason that the sticker should not be the reason to "extort" money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I had done this and the glue ruined my headlight lens. The normal vinyl from the number plate wala should do the trick, but again don't know because of the heat generated from the headlight.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 21:49   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Did they mention the offence on the memo? Did you enlighten them that the rule has been scrapped now?
I didn't. Was getting late for an official meeting, so thought there's no point in dicussing if the law has been abolished.
However, I am attaching an image of Memo handed over to me.
While coming back the same day, as soon as I entered the expressway from A'bad, a traffic cop with white shirt stopped me and demanded documents. I straight away showed him the Memo, he asked me to leave.

For the Memo attached, I could not make out the handwriting, but the rule I had broken by mistake was 119/177. Dont know what it means.

Again, its safe to have that label on headlight. The label is available on most of the accessory shops in Vadodara and A'bad. If more precision is required, cut that sticker to have minimal obstruction.

In my Wagon R, our chauffeur when took the car for A/C repair, let the A/C repair shop put a new sticker is a very hopeless position. Now, the light is literally split in two.
Attached Thumbnails
The Yellow Sticker Shakedown In Gujarat Update: Rule abolished from March 2, 2015-20160711_213818-copy.jpg  

aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 19:02   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Dont know if this is wrong or right, but its better to have that yellow sticker. My Swift had one, but due to an accident the right headlight was replaced, and with the old light, yellow sticker was gone. Shall have a new one today.
Aren't dealerships in GJ overly eager to put those yellow tapes(with their name and number on it) on the driver's side Headlamp? When I was in GJ, I had removed those tapes on our car many times but the dealership used to stick new ones. Apart from saving the car from the cops, it worked as an advertisement for their dealership.

Apart from the yellow sticker, another idiotic thing that those brainless cops used to was to paint black dots on the centre of headlamps, where the bulb was visible. That practice was stopped after a while but my car was stopped once and painted with those black teekas.
Old 12th July 2016, 21:03   #143
BHPian

Quote:
For the Memo attached, I could not make out the handwriting, but the rule I had broken by mistake was 119/177. Dont know what it means.
I believe section 119/177 is applicable either for violation of traffic signal or violation of a road sign/marking (e.g. stop sign).

But if I were a traffic cop in India, I could almost get away quoting any section in the memo (equally, who am I to question the integrity of our rule enforcers).
Old 13th July 2016, 08:00   #144
BANNED

I think this supposed violation should be brought to the notice of the higher ups. It is not ₹100 but the principle. Good you paid the 100 and got yourself away from a lot of hassle, but this has to be stopped for good.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2016, 09:13   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subuiyer View Post
I believe section 119/177 is applicable either for violation of traffic signal or violation of a road sign/marking (e.g. stop sign).

But if I were a traffic cop in India, I could almost get away quoting any section in the memo (equally, who am I to question the integrity of our rule enforcers).
It also stands for any law not followed or something like that. Though I am Guajrati, it becomes a bit difficult to understand whats written.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Aren't dealerships in GJ overly eager to put those yellow tapes(with their name and number on it) on the driver's side Headlamp? When I was in GJ, I had removed those tapes on our car many times but the dealership used to stick new ones. Apart from saving the car from the cops, it worked as an advertisement for their dealership.

Apart from the yellow sticker, another idiotic thing that those brainless cops used to was to paint black dots on the centre of headlamps, where the bulb was visible. That practice was stopped after a while but my car was stopped once and painted with those black teekas.
True, the dealerships are quite eager to put down those stickers, and my car did have one, but thanks to small crash, headlight on RHS had to be replaced. Under pressure to deliver the car early, the sticker was forgotten by Kiran Motors Body shop. And yes, those black dots, thankfully its not followed as rigidly. I am now looking forward to some paint instead of sticker, no hassles then !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I think this supposed violation should be brought to the notice of the higher ups. It is not ₹100 but the principle. Good you paid the 100 and got yourself away from a lot of hassle, but this has to be stopped for good.
Agree Sir, but it a long, ardours journey if brought in notice of higher ups. These laws are quite odd and local cars were not asked to stop. Even in Vadodara where I used my car without the yellow sticker, there was no hassle. This is not the first time that I had to pay money on my trip to Ahmedadad. Entry into Ahmedabad via Sarkhej is known to have such hassles. But it saves much on time and fuel.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 16th July 2016 at 09:14.
Old 21st July 2016, 15:07   #146
NPX
BHPian

Spotted this Hyundai Creta at Huda City Centre Metro Station, Gurgaon. Car had GJ temporary number plate and yellow sticker with dealers name on the driver side headlamp.
Whether the rule is in force or not, dealers will not let go a chance to advertise their name.
The Yellow Sticker Shakedown In Gujarat Update: Rule abolished from March 2, 2015-wp_20160721_001.jpg
Sorry for bad quality picture, car was at quite a distance.
NPX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2016, 12:43   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - one of my good friends from Pune had gone to Gujarat in his car. He came back yesterday after almost a month. He had put the yellow tape but it was just outside the effective area of the RH headlight. He has removed it and thrown it out also, no tell-tale marks. He told me "Behram, me happy, they happy "ALL IJJ WELL"! Not a bad idea eh?

This reminds me of Govinda dancing to the song: "This Happens Only In India"!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 17:13   #148
BHPian

I was in Ahmedabad for a year, and tried to get the yellow sticker from various places - Car dealers, service centers etc. None had it and everyone confirmed it has been stopped. In this one year we drove across Kutch and Saurashtra as well as Ahmedabad for quite a bit, and even in case of pullovers, no cop asked for the tape to be applied.
latentpotential is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 00:13   #149
BHPian

I found this article on Divyabhaskar website (similar to what HVKumar provided in earlier post) http://www.divyabhaskar.co.in/news/M...34264-NOR.html. However I could not find the notification or circular on RTO gujarat or RTO ahmedabad website. Does anyone have a link to the notification or circular?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks