Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2009, 16:08   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Not really required. All modern headlamps already have a covering over the bulb which negates the need for this yellow or black strip/spot.
You are right about that. But does our law still require that black spot ? I don't have one in my car.

@ Torqy & aaggoswami, it was a light hearted comment, apologies if i have hurt anyone.
Old 4th March 2009, 16:16   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish
If a yellow sticker is so important and saves lives, why not all the car manufacturers fix it from the factory and send it?
Our GJ registered M800 had this when we bought it - don't think Maruti sticks/paints these during despatch from Gurgaon. Maybe the dealer sticks/paints these on before delivery.

Over time, the sticker/paint faded/peeled-off and this is how it looks now.
The Yellow Sticker Shakedown In Gujarat Update: Rule abolished from March 2, 2015-dsc00595.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD
How exactly does this yellow sticker help?
Idea is to avoid hi-beam headlight glare from blinding the drivers coming from opposite direction. Like the black dot stickers that were mandatory till a few years ago.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 4th March 2009 at 16:17.
Old 4th March 2009, 17:20   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
Also, aren't the yellow strip, horizontal black strip on top half of headlamp, and the central black dot all excuses for cops to not police high-beam drivers? In the US, drivers driving on high-beam in the presence of on-coming traffic are ticketed. Can't something similar be done here? Mete out strict punishment for habitual high-beam dwellers.
Driving in High beam is still an offense & I've found drivers being challaned in Chandigarh for not following this...
Old 4th March 2009, 20:11   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
the US, drivers driving on high-beam in the presence of on-coming traffic are ticketed. Can't something similar be done here? Mete out strict punishment for habitual high-beam dwellers.
Delhi Traffic Police started this regulation a couple of years ago; they soon ran out of "challans". Then some wise guy petitioned the courts, and the rule was put back in the freezer.
Old 4th March 2009, 21:24   #35
Senior - BHPian

Way back in 2006, when I was enroute to Mumbai in my Safari (MH registration), in one of the Guj cities (I don't remember which one), and no it wasn't Ahmedabad or Baroda I was stopped by some cops. As soon as I stopped, I spotted a man with a brush and a paint can nearing the HLs. I immediately jumped out and caught him by the scruff of his neck and growled - don't you dare touch my car...

One of the cops came and said that there was traffic drive/week going on and the HLs are being painted half-black. I said I'm a tourist coming in from Gurgaon and going onwards to Mumbai and this doesn't apply to me. He was stumped and called his senior - a 3 star Inspector. I explained the same to him and added that I'm passing through this city and not stopping. Somehow, it seems it made sense to him and I drove along.

But on the whole, I would like to know if a State/City/Town can have its own traffic laws that are defined in the main MV Act?
Old 5th March 2009, 10:31   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Also, aren't the yellow strip, horizontal black strip on top half of headlamp, and the central black dot all excuses for cops to not police high-beam drivers? In the US, drivers driving on high-beam in the presence of on-coming traffic are ticketed. Can't something similar be done here? Mete out strict punishment for habitual high-beam dwellers.
This is being enforced selectively, something like high beam challan drive. One day my brother was driving his innova in MG Road. The innova had stock bulbs and you know they are not so good. My brother had high beam, entering trinity circle and was promptly stopped by cops for driving in highbeam and challaned Rs.100. That was ok.

The funnier part was, the front number plate was broken and that was even greater offence but the cops did not bother to challan him for that. So, they have blinkered vision and look for particular offence alone and nothing else.

But this yellow strip sounds like a joke. Penalising high beam is the best way to handle this menace. I remember the black dot rule in Tamilnadu, but was never harassed when I drove down from Bangalore to Chennai, Kanyakumari, in my KA registered vehicle. Am not sure whether the law still persists there.

Nainar
Old 9th March 2009, 23:15   #37
BHPian

yes, it is compulsory in gujarat to have a yellow sticker on your car's right headlamp. i had heard from someone that while you are driving on highway that dont have dividers i.e. single lane highways , then these stickers are helpful as the car lights do not have direct impact on the opposite car drivers. and in fact if you buy car from gujarat, the dealer himself will put on this sticker before giving you the delivery. and if at all this sticker comes out, then they put it again while you give it for servicing without any rupee.
For your reference im putting up a image of my own car. this picture was taken as soon as i took the delivery from the dealer. watch out the sticker.
Attached Thumbnails
The Yellow Sticker Shakedown In Gujarat Update: Rule abolished from March 2, 2015-dsc00575.jpg  

Old 16th May 2009, 08:42   #38
BHPian

Yellow Band on Headlamps

Could someone please explain to me what good is the 'compulsary' yellow band on the right headlamp of cars? This law is somehow valid in the whole of Gujarat (I do not know about any other states). I am attaching a picture of Umang's car (the brand new Safari he just bought , which reminded me I always wanted to ask this question).

Since we often drive to Gujarat from Bombay, you would be surprised to know how strongly the local law enforcement feels about cars that do not have this stupid band. I have been fined once, and let go once and finally had a cop who put on the band since he had the tape with him. I would put it on except that its not compulsary in Bombay - I see absolutely no reason for this logically. When I argued with the cop who fined me, I was told that ignorance of the law was not reason enough. This despite me showing him the toll receipts that I had barely entered Gujarat a few hours before.

I recall a few years back there was a law in Gujarat requiring the headlamps to have round colored spots on the headlamps - this was meant to prevent the oncoming traffic from being blinded if you used full beam lights. I dont know if this ever worked since I did not use to drive at the time. But I dont think it made sense either.

Someone please shed some 'light' on this issue.
Attached Thumbnails
The Yellow Sticker Shakedown In Gujarat Update: Rule abolished from March 2, 2015-p1010603.jpg  

Old 16th May 2009, 09:14   #39
Senior - BHPian

Gujarat is the only state with this stupid rule. Some states have a black band on the top the headlamp and some have a black dot in the centre.
Some other stupid rules:
Public vehicles to have the reg no on all 4 sides. What use is that.
It is the sellers responsibility to transfer the vehicle.
NOC required to transfer the vehicle. The responsibility should be on the Police to produce an Objection Certificate if something is wrong.
Road Tax. See the thread on Karnataka.
Old 16th May 2009, 12:27   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Gujarat is the only state with this stupid rule.

You're free to do anything on the road as long as you have a helmet/seatbelt and the yellow band.

Driving on the wrong side, speeding, etc. is allowed.
Old 16th May 2009, 12:39   #41
Senior - BHPian

Never heard about this yellow band business up until now but I guess that's because I have never ever driven in or around Gujarat ! Regarding the road (and other) taxes in Karnataka, hmm, that's another matter altogether, highway robbery at it's best !
Old 16th May 2009, 13:15   #42
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Gujarat is the only state with this stupid rule. Some states have a black band on the top the headlamp and some have a black dot in the centre.
All the other 'black' bands or dots have been discontinued. Only the 'yellow' band survives.

With the present lighting system with all the focussing being done from the reflector, any obstruction can hamper the lighting pattern.
Old 17th January 2011, 17:12   #43
Team-BHP Support

re: The Yellow Sticker Shakedown In Gujarat Update: Rule abolished from March 2, 2015

Okay, reviving this old thread. Is there any thickness prescribed? It needs to be on both headlights or only right headlight.
I am thinking of sticking a yellow electrical tape for the duration of my Gujarat trip
Old 17th January 2011, 17:20   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Yellow Sticker Shakedown In Gujarat Update: Rule abolished from March 2, 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Okay, reviving this old thread. Is there any thickness prescribed? It needs to be on both headlights or only right headlight.
I am thinking of sticking a yellow electrical tape for the duration of my Gujarat trip
Tanveer, here is a picture of my car with the yellow sticker. You can guess the thickness by the look of it. I recommend you enter Gujarat and stop at a car accessory store and ask them to stick it for you.

We did like that and paid some 20 bucks for this one and carried a spare too.
Attached Thumbnails
The Yellow Sticker Shakedown In Gujarat Update: Rule abolished from March 2, 2015-dsc_6650.jpg  

Old 17th January 2011, 17:28   #45
Team-BHP Support

We may enter a little late. So I guess I will stick yellow tape and enter, and as soon as I see an accessory shop on the main road, i will change the yellow tape.
With headlights running, I doubt any cop will be smart enough to judge thickness etc., I guess they just want an yellow strip just for the heck of it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks