Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2011, 20:07   #76
BHPian

re: The Yellow Sticker Shakedown In Gujarat Update: Rule abolished from March 2, 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post

Thought you said Madras City outskirts. Now city also included ? Also for your kind information, I drove around in the same Madras city and it's outskirts with a MH-12 M-800 for 3 years and was never once flagged down. I always follow the rules of the road, maybe sometimes over speed (80 on a 60 zone), but not once was I targeted for driving a MH vehicle in Madras/TN.

Guess your experience was different to mine or the others here.
I was staying in Tambaram and used to commute everyday to Ascendas building on Taramani Road in 2008 on a MH registered bike. I was stopped 7 times in 1 year. Twice by the same cop (some sub inspector who used to stop me immediately after Medavakkam reliance fresh store) specially on weekends. One time he stopped me after looking at my MH number plate and asked me "NOC please". I showed him my dependent card of Air force from my father (who was infact posted in Delhi at that time), then he suddenly said, "You were over speeding" without any speed gun with them. I must be driving on 50 kmph. There was no signboard on that road about speed limits until as far as near Velachery, (about 12 kms back) which at that time was in such bad shape that you would really have to look for it to read it. Out of 7 times, I paid fine 4 times with receipt and escaped 3 times by showing Air force dependent card. I also stayed in Bangalore with the same bike in 2003-2004 and was never stopped. I am also an ardent traveler like HVK, and I have personally paid maximum fine in the city of Chennai for stupid reasons as I refused to bribe. In fact I saved the receipts until I left Chennai. I really wanted to go a court and ask how can they determine my speed when they don't have a speed gun?
I also never failed to understand how these cops stop every out of state Bike / Car on that road and let TN registered Luna's drive with 5 kids onboard. Although I must admit, I also stayed in adyar for 1 year and I didn't face any problem in Adyar. Personally I think its not the general police to blame, Its those particular corrupt / idiotic officers to blame and they are all around.

Last edited by akaush : 25th December 2011 at 20:10.
akaush is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2011, 22:44   #77
Senior - BHPian

re: The Yellow Sticker Shakedown In Gujarat Update: Rule abolished from March 2, 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post

I always follow rules, I have never been stopped by these cops for breaking any rules, they have always stopped me after seeing my Scorpio with a MH registration.
Guess they just see something else other than the number plate then 'cos it never happened to me driving a MH car for 3 years or a RSO (Rajasthan) Yezdi for more than a decade. In my Yezdi, I was stopped a few times for not stopping before the stop line at signals and only then the other state number has been questioned. I felt it was a genuine question. But if a cop demanded money for that, I do not have any reason to feel offended and call the IG (I can too). If we have any complaints against any cop, there is always a redressal cell for that. Instead of doing that, rubbishing them in general is certainly not warranted. After all, just like you and me, they too think that their job is important and they are doing only that. Of course there are rotten ones in every department, Govt or private.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
I guess you have never been stopped during election season. During that time cops are authorized to seize the vehicle for use in election duty. This brings out "standard" rate card that depends on size of vehicle. And this is just an example.
AFAIk, private vehicles cannot be 'seized' for election duty. In fact there is no such thing in the constitution. Of course cops have the authority to take over any vehicle during an emergency. The SUVs of MLAs/MPs provided by the Govt are the ones compulsarily diverted to the election commission for election duty at the time of elections. Even that is done by the Election Commission and not the cops. They merely carry out the EC's orders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaush View Post
Personally I think its not the general police to blame, Its those particular corrupt / idiotic officers to blame and they are all around.
Rightly said.

Last edited by GTO : 27th December 2011 at 14:16. Reason: Again, you need to watch the tone you are using on the forum. NO NEED to get RUDE
Old 25th December 2011, 23:15   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guess they just see something else other than the number plate then 'cos it never happened to me driving a MH car for 3 years or a RSO (Rajasthan) Yezdi for more than a decade. In my Yezdi, I was stopped a few times for not stopping before the stop line at signals and only then the other state number has been questioned. I felt it was a genuine question.
You appear to be insinuating that the cops stop ONLY me because I am always breaking rules? (to be read in the context of my earlier comments)

Quote:
But if a cop demanded money for that, I do not have any reason to feel offended and call the IG (I can too).
I did not mention that I called the IG - the matter was escalated by a couple of my friends who were retired IGs of Police on their own volition since they felt that some wrong had been done, and something should be done. I do not know any serving IG of POlice.

Quote:
If we have any complaints against any cop, there is always a redressal cell for that. Instead of doing that, [b]rubbishing them in general is certainly not warranted
Does that mean I should become a hypocrite and not express any opinions? I do not understand the connotation of what you mean by my being a "respected" member of the forum? I am an ordinary motorist like any one of you and am simply reciting my experiences and giving my views. AS I said before, each to his own opinion for reasons good or bad.

Quote:
AFAIk, private vehicles cannot be 'seized' for election duty. In fact there is no such thing in the constitution. Of course cops have the authority to take over any vehicle during an emergency. The SUVs of MLAs/MPs provided by the Govt are the ones compulsarily diverted to the election commission for election duty at the time of elections. Even that is done by the Election Commission and not the cops. They merely carry out the EC's orders.
Maybe you should read the Section 160 of THE REPRESENTATION OF THE PEOPLE ACT, 1951, which says,

"160. Requisitioning of premises, vehicles, etc., for election purposes.—

(1) If it appears to the State Government that in connection with an election held within the State—

(b) any vehicle, vessel or animal is needed or is likely to be needed for the purpose of transport of ballot boxes to or from any polling station, or transport of members of the police force for maintaining order during the conduct of such election, or transport of any officer or other person for performance of any duties in connection with such election, that Government may by order in writing requisition such premises, or such vehicle, vessel or animal, as the case may be, and may make such further orders as may appear to it to be necessary or expedient in connection with the requisitioning: Provided that no vehicle, vessel or animal which is being lawfully used by a candidate or his agent for any purpose connected with the election of such candidate shall be requisitioned under this sub-section until the completion of the poll at such election.

(2) The requisition shall be effected by an order in writing addressed to the person deemed by the State Government to be the owner or person in possession of the property, and such order shall be served in the prescribed manner on the person to whom it is addressed."

In plain English, it means the Government - not the EC - can take over your car after following due procedures. Maybe you will respect my judgement on that since I am also a legal advisor to corporates.

Last edited by GTO : 27th December 2011 at 14:18. Reason: Esteem Lover's rude line was removed. Hence, removing the same from the quoted post
hvkumar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th December 2011, 23:17   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
AFAIk, private vehicles cannot be 'seized' for election duty. In fact there is no such thing in the constitution. Of course cops have the authority to take over any vehicle during an emergency. The SUVs of MLAs/MPs provided by the Govt are the ones compulsarily diverted to the election commission for election duty at the time of elections.
Straight from the source (Joint chief electoral officer)

Quote:
We are first going for government and then commercial vehicles. However, we cannot fully exhaust' the first two, as more people depend on commercial vehicles than their own transport. If we take only commercial and government vehicles, the entire public transport system would fall flat. Therefore, we have to "rationally" exhaust the first two options rather than completely exhaust them before we opt for private vehicles. DEOs in charge of each district, have been instructed accordingly.
Quote:
Even that is done by the Election Commission and not the cops. They merely carry out the EC's orders.
Quoting from source:

Quote:
district election officer (DEO) who is issuing the requisition forms, cannot be physically present in serving all of them, so it has been given to police and public vehicles department officials.
And further, this is the "advise"

Quote:
On the road, when it is being requisitioned, it would be difficult to refuse. I would suggest that those who have been served with requisition notices, but have genuine problems, take their documents to the DEO office and speak to officers in the special cell there.
So, basically cops have the "discretion" over which vehicles to seize. And this discretion like many others gives them opportunity to extort money as and when they want.

This is not limited to Gujarat, have seen that in Maharashtra, Bihar and MP as well.

Source:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/h...ow/7938613.cms

EDIT:

This article mentions specific court rulings and relevant sections:

http://ww.telegraphindia.com/1110330...y_13783370.jsp

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 25th December 2011 at 23:21. Reason: Additional Info
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 00:08   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Does that mean I should become a hypocrite and not express any opinions?

Maybe you should read the Section 160 of THE REPRESENTATION OF THE PEOPLE ACT, 1951, which says,

"160. Requisitioning of premises, vehicles, etc., for election purposes.—

(1) If it appears to the State Government that in connection with an election held within the State—

(b) any vehicle, vessel or animal is needed or is likely to be needed for the purpose of transport of ballot boxes to or from any polling station, or transport of members of the police force for maintaining order during the conduct of such election, or transport of any officer or other person for performance of any duties in connection with such election, that Government may by order in writing requisition such premises, or such vehicle, vessel or animal, as the case may be, and may make such further orders as may appear to it to be necessary or expedient in connection with the requisitioning: Provided that no vehicle, vessel or animal which is being lawfully used by a candidate or his agent for any purpose connected with the election of such candidate shall be requisitioned under this sub-section until the completion of the poll at such election.

(2) The requisition shall be effected by an order in writing addressed to the person deemed by the State Government to be the owner or person in possession of the property, and such order shall be served in the prescribed manner on the person to whom it is addressed."

In plain English, it means the Government - not the EC - can take over your car after following due procedures. Maybe you will respect my judgement on that since I am also a legal advisor to corporates.
I respect your judgement Kumar, but this same rule can be interpreted the way we want to, right ? I am also in the same boat. There are procedures and provisions, India is not KGB or LTTE. No one can take away your basic right lawfully, yes unlawfully anything can be done. So why fear ! If people like us start feeling this way, what about others ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Straight from the source (Joint chief electoral officer)

Quoting from source:

And further, this is the "advise"

So, basically cops have the "discretion" over which vehicles to seize. And this discretion like many others gives them opportunity to extort money as and when they want.

This is not limited to Gujarat, have seen that in Maharashtra, Bihar and MP as well.

Source:

You can refuse to give your car, but cite a genuine reason - The Times of India

EDIT:

This article mentions specific court rulings and relevant sections:

The Telegraph - Calcutta (Kolkata) | Metro | Panel claim on private cars

Netfreak, the TNN is the worst source for any information. Hvk quoted the rule from the Act, that alone was a revelation for me, but still there are basic rights for any citizen, poor or rich, car or not, nothing can be breached, this is democracy. The rule talks about a requisition and both of you spoke about "SEIZING" of vehicles. A requisition is something that will be requested from the govt. and if you can give, give, if you can't, say it so in so many words. No one is empowered to seize your vehicle and then ask you to approach another officer for relief. Requisition means a request will be/already has been sent to you for your vehicle giving you enough time to approach someone to dissuade that request, aren't we good at that ? Has anyone here on T-BHP had to give up their vehicle for this ? I am sure it is 0. Where does this cop compulsion come from ? If we as informed and knowledgeable folks feel this way, it is a very sad and pathetic situation for the less.
Old 26th December 2011, 01:06   #81
BHPian

Guys, let's stick to the thread topic. This thread is about yellow sticker on Headlights in Gujarat.

I would advise Hvkumar to start a new thread on vehicle requisitioning during election by government as it will be beneficiary to many Bhpians like me who don't know that government can take the private vehicles during election time.
Nitrous Power is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 17:00   #82
Senior - BHPian

^I am driving to Ahmedabad on Friday. Looks like I need to stick something yellow on my headlight.
I am wondering if a light brown cellotape would be acceptable.
Old 11th January 2012, 17:16   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
^I am driving to Ahmedabad on Friday. Looks like I need to stick something yellow on my headlight.
Anything Yellow will do. I have driven to GJ on 2 occasions last year in two different cars registered in KA. The first time I drove, I couldn't manage with a Yellow sticker till I reached my destination and luckily wasn't caught by the cops anywhere. But while I returned, I ensured that I had pasted that on the headlight.

Second time I drove in a different car, I ensured I had to paste anything like a strip that looked Yellow. I couldn't find a Yellow Insulation tape and ended up cutting a reflective strip in Yellow and pasted that on my RHS Headlamp.

I would suggest you go to a Electrical shop and get a insulation tape and just fix it. Remember, It better be YELLOW!!

Last edited by paragsachania : 11th January 2012 at 17:18.
Old 11th January 2012, 17:16   #84
Senior - BHPian

Neighborhood electrical shops should have yellow insulation tape. Two strips of that tape would do the job.
Old 13th January 2012, 10:14   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I use a yellow insulation tape. You can also use the yellow double side tape.
Old 4th October 2012, 19:07   #86
BANNED

Duh! But how does one paste this yellow sticker on a perfectly round headlamp like in a Gypsy or a Tata Ace? Do GJ registered Ace vehicles have this yellow sticker anywhere?

--R
Old 4th October 2012, 20:40   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul
Duh! But how does one paste this yellow sticker on a perfectly round headlamp like in a Gypsy or a Tata Ace? Do GJ registered Ace vehicles have this yellow sticker anywhere?

--R
All GJ registered vehicles are supposed to have yellow sticker on Right Corner of Right Head lamp. For vehicles with round headlamps, it's simple: apply the sticker on inner side of right circumference.
Old 5th October 2012, 10:53   #88
BHPian

Even if the sticker is a bit straight leaving out a bit open on the extreme right, it's okay. You'd have at least followed the law. Once you get into Gujarat, any regular numberplate guy would do a nice radium paper job for you in 10 bucks.
Old 5th October 2012, 14:32   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Even if the sticker is a bit straight leaving out a bit open on the extreme right, it's okay. You'd have at least followed the law. Once you get into Gujarat, any regular numberplate guy would do a nice radium paper job for you in 10 bucks.
I was not aware of the sticker shape etc except that its a sticker yellow in color and we just pasted one yellow sticker as in pic.

We were stopped at RJ-GJ boarder by police for regular checking and crossed Ahmedabad city in the afternoon without any issues. Now I wonder how bad was my sticker
Attached Thumbnails
The Yellow Sticker Shakedown In Gujarat Update: Rule abolished from March 2, 2015-gj.jpg  

Old 5th October 2012, 15:24   #90
BHPian

LOL.
The sticker is supposed to be covering up the right hand side of the headlamp so that the beam is contained on the right side. So it should look like a vertical strip of sticker
covering the right edge of your main headlamp (exclude the turn indicators)

Good that you were able to pass through without any headache.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks