Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2009, 14:33   #16
Senior - BHPian

The cop must have been tipped off by another cop in the previous signal. But our man must have messed up with the wrong vehicle which is why he was so confused. good one though.
Old 9th March 2009, 15:27   #17
BHPian

Sam's episode was the funniest. Singer lol
Old 9th March 2009, 16:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

Lol. This means i need to grow my hair to be passed on as a singer.
Old 9th March 2009, 16:08   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Where's the seatbelt? Where's the problem?

This was at Ahmedabad, in October 2007. Was on an across-Gujarat roadtrip, and spending a day with friends at A'bad. Friend and I in the front seat, me driving, wife and daughter in the backseat. I had my camera slung across my right shoulder towards the left.

Start off from the Khadi Gramodyog Bhavan compound, on to the main road, then I make a left turn, and this cop stops me. He asks for my licence. I wonder why. I am not wearing my seatbelt. I tell him I'm sorry, I'd just moved out of the Khadi compound, etc. etc. By which time a Sardarji policeman steps up and asks the other one why he's stopped me - that I am actually wearing my seatbelt, and what's the problem. Duh..!? Sardarji in Ahmedabad? He's seen the camera strap across my chest and thought I WAS indeed wearing a seatbelt.. I just lost control and burst out laughing. The first cop explains to the other that that was not my seatbelt, and that my car belt is not in use, and HERE's the seatbelt that the driver is NOT wearing (pointing at the belt)!!! By which time I've already got a bellyache from laughing.

Embarrassed, the first cop still insists he wants my licence. I ask my friend to talk to the cop. He pulls out this little card from his wallet, walks across to the other side, and asks the cop whether he'd let me go or should my friend speak to the Commissioner of Police. Cop 1 looks at card. That's a PRESS CARD! Looks at me. Tells me he's letting me go ONLY because my friend is a friend of the Commissioner. Hmmm... sounded nice to me. I really couldn't stop myself taking a pic of the cops to remember the "where's the seatbelt? where's the problem?" day!!
Attached Thumbnails
Strange and Hilarious experience with a cop-aaa.jpg  

Old 9th March 2009, 16:10   #20
BHPian

Hilarious!!! Cops can always find some way to entertain us
Old 9th March 2009, 16:24   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
It was about 6.30 on a very cold and foggy winter evening when near Barwala I was pulled over for using FOG LIGHTS. I was on low beams and fogs but the cop said its illegal to use fog lights. I asked him how and where was i supposed to use them if not in fog. Plus as per Motor Vehicle Act, 1974, section 33 (1) a it is illegal not to use fog lights in fog. He gave me a stupid grin and said he was merely testing and he knows the Motor Vehicle Act too but we need to carry our fog light covers in our car. i showed them happily to him and he let us go with a wave. (the MV Act and section are ofcourse hog wash as i do not know if it even has a section 33).
Now we know why the cop stopped Abhinav

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post

Once i was driving normally. With license , without being on the phone ,without jumping a red light etc.

It was 7 pm , and after finding no fault , he said your fog lights are not working , i told him i had not switched them on. He said that if a car has fog light , it should be switched on.
Old 9th March 2009, 17:23   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
I ask my friend to talk to the cop. He pulls out this little card from his wallet, walks across to the other side, and asks the cop whether he'd let me go or should my friend speak to the Commissioner of Police.
I don't think violating the law and then flaunting your connections to go scot free is a very nice thing to do. maybe it was a 'small' thing, but then you'd have done the same if you'd jumped a red light.
Old 9th March 2009, 18:34   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
harry10 : This means i need to grow my hair to be passed on as a singer.
You can always shave your head, or have a wierd style. Do let us know if try it out !
Old 9th March 2009, 20:33   #24
Senior - BHPian

This happened today...

I was coming back from a friends place and after i crossed the Anand Vihar red light 2 traffic cops on a bike stopped me ,reason was that i was using my cell phone.
I told them i was just checking whether i had any missed calls and they can check the dialed/recieved calls list if they want proof but they were adamant that they saw me use my cell to make a call and asked me for my DL.
I got down from the car and this is the conversation we had.......

Cop1 - Don`t you know that its against the rules to use cell phone while driving ?
Me - I just unlocked it for a sec. to check whether i had any missed calls ,that's it.
Cop1 - We`ll have to issue a challan of 1k now.
Me - Why ?
Cop1 - Coz you broke the law
Me (Annoyed) - Ok do it.
Cop2 (Interrupting) - You`ll have to go to the court
Me - Fine
Cop1 (Puzzled)- You`ll have to pay the full fine in cash (Trying to pressurize me into an `agreement`)
Me - I have no problem with that ,since you said i broke the law ill pay the full fine.
Cop1 - Arrrrrre why not settle it here ?
Me - I`d rather follow the proper procedure ,am getting late so just give me the challan
Cop1 - Ok how much money do you have right now ?
Me - Ummmm 10-15 Rs
Cop 2 To Cop1 (Frustrated) - Let him go.....here`s your DL (No challan)

The End.

Last edited by faithless_1984 : 9th March 2009 at 20:37.
Old 9th March 2009, 20:46   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon;1204634Strange... why do you think they will become constables, to being with, if they had such expertise?? Then you would probably see loads of "Mamas" in plush IT companies! lol: And really, why are you so keen on getting them trained? [B
Why cant drivers themselves realise their responsibility when driving on the road? If we did, we wouldn't need stupid cops telling us what to do in the 1st place!![/b]
I want to get them trained because unfortunately drivers are not listening to what police are informing. They continue to speak on mobile phones while driving even though the law states that we should not use mobiles while driving.
Old 9th March 2009, 21:31   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
I don't think violating the law and then flaunting your connections to go scot free is a very nice thing to do. maybe it was a 'small' thing, but then you'd have done the same if you'd jumped a red light.
Totally with you. I'd have paid the fine in the initial stages too, but then things became so hilarious and Cop 1 was feeling so offended about my guffawing at the long arm of the law - my friend HAD to step in.

The previous entry was not to say that I habitually drive without seat belts or break traffic rules; far from it. It was something that just happened - a one-off strange and hilarious experience with a cop.
Old 10th March 2009, 12:23   #27
BHPian

My experience with Chennai Traffic PCs

Here are 2 incidents from my bike riding days in Chennai (at least 10-12 years back).

Incident 1:
Early morning ride to office, I had just crossed the harbor area and was stopped by a cop at one of the intersections.
Cop: enga pora... Where are you going?
Me: To office, for the morning shift
Cop: License irukka do you have license
Me: Yes (hand it out to him)I purposefully speak to him in English creating a picture as though I do not know tamil and ask him why he has stopped me
Cop: what Saar you have license, you wear shoe, helmet everything but no insurance.
That was when I noticed that the insurance papers were the older ones. Luckily I had the insurance premium receipt in my wallet and produced it to him. That was a mistake; he saw the notes in my wallet! Rather than waste time further, he said
Saar you give me 10 for tea or Leave your bike at station go you go home bring Insurance paper. Home was 45 mins by bus and I was running late for office. haggled and ended up giving him a fiver to let me go.

Incident 2:
I was on my way to the bak to draw money. I had just a few coins in my wallet. Stopped at the signal near Traffic Commisioner's office on PH road at Egmore.
Cop: Enna Saar stop line cross pannitteenga Sir you have crossed the stop line.
Me: Oh. I am sorry I didn't notice (again no Tamil only English). move my vehicle backwards
Cop: Illa Illa ippadi orama vaanga No No pull over to the side and beckons me to the side.
Me: Why? I stopped when it just turned red while others just drove on. Why are you trying to harass me.
Cop: No Tamil??
Me: Yes. I speak no Tamil. understand little bit.
Cop: give paper
I hand out all my papers. everything was in place
Cop: you cross stop line you pay 50 fine
Me: Sorry sir I don't have that much.
Cop: No money?? you drive bike, say no money??
Me: Yes sir. No money.
Cop: No money
Cop looks at me head to toe. I was wearing my helmet and Shoes as always. He finds no reason to issue me a challan. What he did next took me off gaurd. He peeped into my shirt pocket and noticed a few coins.
Cop: Saar Hot sun, very bad job. give me what you have in pocket!!
I fished out the coins and in all there was little less than Rs.10. He took it from me and waved me on.
I left with a mixed feeling of sympathy and relief.
Old 10th March 2009, 13:05   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The previous entry was not to say that I habitually drive without seat belts or break traffic rules; far from it.
But I'm glad in hindsight that I got away - maybe I'd have ended up with a triple challan of no seatbelt, no yellow sticker on HL (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...n-gujarat.html) and laughing at a policeman!
Old 10th March 2009, 13:32   #29
BHPian

These incidents are hilarious and fun and we also empathize with the cops for the job they are doing. I still do not see any reason to shell out money to these cops if we are not at fault. If the mistake is ours then we better pay up and leave. Cops are the same all over India , it will take a while before we can expect any semblance of order on our roads.
Old 10th March 2009, 13:50   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Well how about this.
I am stopped at a security check post and asked for my License and Registration.
Registration is fine.
My DL is from Chennai.
The really smart cop tells me that I cannot use a Chennai D/L in Hyderabad.

I start laughing.

The really really smart cop comes.
Takes my D/L and shows me the Tamil Nadu written on top of my License.

My laughing gets even louder.

The inspector comes. I stop laughing and tell him to teach his constables some traffic rules before they try to pull a trick on someone.
The inspector apologises and tells me these are new recruits.
Hence they don't know.

As I leave I hear him explain to this idiots.
Miya, Hyderabad main, TN ka DL chalta, Rajasthan ka DL bhi chalta, UP ka ...

I did not wait to listen anymore.

Check the other posts as well on that thread.

Most Viewed