Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2009, 13:46   #1
BHPian

Strange and Hilarious experience with a cop

This happened around a month back in Trivandrum.

I was driving my dads 800 at around 12:50 in the noon and he was sitting alongside me we were going to the RT Office at East Fort. As we were approaching East Fort in front of the Puthrikandam exhibition ground a few people were waiting to cross the road at the zebra crossing and as they had already stepped onto the road I slowed the car and stopped it well ahead of the zebra crossing. Affter they crossed I moved the car forward and as I was the first car to move off I had a clear road ahead of me suddenly from the next traffic point around 30meters in front one cop stepped on to the road and asked me to motioned me to pull over. I looked over at my dad and he shrugged asking me to do as the cop was saying. Then what happend was quite hilarious.

The cop with that all important look plastered on his face asked me to step out of the car. I stepped out of the car and my dad also stepped out along with me. Both of us had no idea as to why we were pulled over - we were not speeding were not on the mobile and were wearing our seatbelts. Then the cop dropped the bomb. He asked me why I was speaking on the mobile. I told him I was not speaking on the mobile. By then two other cops had come over and one of them askem me quite sarcasically whether I did not have a mobile. I replied I do have a mobile and as I was struggling to pull it out from my pocket (I was wearing jeans) the two cops walked awayto control traffic. I handed over the mobile and asked him to check the call register.
Cop: I know what to do.
Me: Ok do it I will wait.
Cop: (Struggles a lot with the mobile trying to find where the call register is.The mobile was simple Nokia 1200)
Me : (After some time , trying to help) Left button. Right Button. Up Button.
Cop: I know what to do.
Me: Ok (And waits for him to finish).
Cop: (Finally locates the call register and goes through it. He sees an entry in the inbox at 12:44 am. Me dad and BIL had gone out the previous day and returned only at around 2:00 in the morning. So sis had called to know where we were)
Cop: (Triumphantly)See I told you I saw you speaking on the mobile.
Me: That entry is for 12:44 am. Now Its past 12 noon. so the time is 12:50 pm now.
Cop: (Looks crest fallen for a moment). I saw you on the phone.
Me: I was not on the phone. If you have any doubt you can check out the whole car and see if there is any other mobile inside it. (And holds out the key).( I was sure there was no other mobile in the car as my dad had mentioned he forgot to take his mobile just as we were leaving the house)
Cop: (Would not take the key). I saw you on the phone
Me: (Getting annoyed)Check the car.(Still holding out the key).
Dad: (Seeing me getting annoyed).I was sitting beside him and he was not on the mobile. You have checked the mobile and if you want, check the car. Otherwise let us go.
Cop: (Grudgingly) Ok you can go.

We get into the car and drive off. In the rearview mirror I could see him scratch his head and look at us.

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th March 2009 at 05:09. Reason: 2 smileys max. You must read the Team-BHP rules before continuing. Thanks.
Old 8th March 2009, 20:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

Damn thats funny. Happens quite often. The cops here also always try to find a reason to take some money outta people.

Once i was driving normally. With license , without being on the phone ,without jumping a red light etc.

It was 7 pm , and after finding no fault , he said your fog lights are not working , i told him i had not switched them on. He said that if a car has fog light , it should be switched on. However i asked him to show me where the rule is mentioned. He had to let me go on this statement.
Strange cops
Old 8th March 2009, 20:48   #3
BHPian

Haha this is funny. Our pandu's are always looking out for innovative ways to fleece the motorists.
Old 8th March 2009, 20:59   #4
BHPian

My friend,me and his mom were travelling in his santro he was driving and talking on the phone, the cop flagged us down, get switched off his phone and gave the phone to his mom who put it in her vanity bag, the cop searched him and me, he gave his cdma phone insted of the gsm he was talking on and he then had no proof and had to let us go,but only after shouting a lot of expletives.
Old 8th March 2009, 21:00   #5
BANNED

Same incident happened to me

Hi,

The same thing happened to me in june2008 .I remember this so well because it was soo funny.

It was one of the busy roads and time was arund 12.xx noon , i was sweating a lot and used my left hand to swipe the sweat around my ears.I was driving my ex car the indica(You ppl know how the AC of indica is),I saw a cop fellow standing below a tree and just passed by him.

I would have merely gone 300 meters from there and suddenly the cop came in bike and asked me to pull over.

Confused as to why he is stopping me ,i got down and ask him whats was the problem ,he said i was talking over mobile.I denied it but he never agreed it .I told him i just swiped my sweat in the ears.(he doesnt agree at all ) then cop said ok let me check your mobile,i gave it to him.

It was a N73 and he didnt know what to do with it.as i was in a hurry for a meeting i said either belive me of file a case ,i will prove it when the bill comes from airtel.

after a long arguement he left me free to go and i couldnt stop from then till about 15 mins.

I am saying these cops think they are CBIs And CIDs..no tech knowledge no common sense .Funny people.
Old 8th March 2009, 21:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

That was hilarious. The onus lies on Police dept to teach these constables how to handle gadgets (atlesat mobiles and wireless sets). Unless that is done, there will be no use of howmuch ever technically advanced we become.
Old 9th March 2009, 00:22   #7
BHPian

Same has happened with me as well. and again the same outcome.
Old 9th March 2009, 01:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

As if call register logs cannot be changed/edited/deleted. And do they even have a right to ask for your cellphone?
Old 9th March 2009, 01:57   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Hilarious stuff.

I simply think he was day-dreaming and imagine he found the subject of his dream right in front of himself. That explains why he stopped you!
Old 9th March 2009, 02:53   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
As if call register logs cannot be changed/edited/deleted. And do they even have a right to ask for your cellphone?
Have heard a couple of instances when the cops find nothing wrong with your vehicle,they ask for your phone to check weather you got some p0rn stashed away in it,but if they can't find the call log how does one expect them to unlock a an HTC or an iphone for that matter .
Old 9th March 2009, 03:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

^^^I don't think they have any right to go thru your phone. And even if they do find xxx on it, I'm not sure if thats illegal, to begin with. I would not show them my phone, even if there is nothing incriminating on it. I'd ask for a superior officer...

Quote:
That was hilarious. The onus lies on Police dept to teach these constables how to handle gadgets (atlesat mobiles and wireless sets). Unless that is done, there will be no use of howmuch ever technically advanced we become.
Strange... why do you think they will become constables, to being with, if they had such expertise?? Then you would probably see loads of "Mamas" in plush IT companies! And really, why are you so keen on getting them trained? Why cant drivers themselves realise their responsibility when driving on the road? If we did, we wouldn't need stupid cops telling us what to do in the 1st place!!

Last edited by Raccoon : 9th March 2009 at 03:03.
Old 9th March 2009, 12:57   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

A few years ago I was driving to work and I had a Nokia handfree cigarette lighter speaker.

And so I was driving, in my opinion in the legally correct way. Both my ears were free and both my hands were free. I was driving and having an animated conversation with someone.
At the signal the policeman pulled me over.

License please.
I handed it over.
Kya hua?
Tum mobile par baat kar raha tha. I saw you speaking on the phone.
Kahan?
Tum hands free pe tha.
Kidhar? I show him my ears with no handsfree. I was not talking on the phone.
TO tum kya kar raha that. Tum baat kar raha tha aur aisa aisa haath hila raha tha.
Main gaana gaa raha tha. I was singing.
Gaana?
Haan.
Gaana? Tum singer hai?
Haan.

He looks at my long hair.
OK go.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2009, 13:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post

TO tum kya kar raha that. Tum baat kar raha tha aur aisa aisa haath hila raha tha.
Main gaana gaa raha tha. I was singing.
Gaana?
Haan.
Gaana? Tum singer hai?
Haan.

He looks at my long hair.
OK go.
Ha ha. This reminds me of one of the posts where the roll-cage was explained to the cop as a shower for 'Mumbai ki garmi'!
Old 9th March 2009, 13:04   #14
BHPian

Both the incidents are hilarious
Old 9th March 2009, 14:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

I remember once I was driving from Dehradun to Chandigarh. It was about 6.30 on a very cold and foggy winter evening when near Barwala I was pulled over for using FOG LIGHTS. I was on low beams and fogs but the cop said its illegal to use fog lights. I asked him how and where was i supposed to use them if not in fog. Plus as per Motor Vehicle Act, 1974, section 33 (1) a it is illegal not to use fog lights in fog. He gave me a stupid grin and said he was merely testing and he knows the Motor Vehicle Act too but we need to carry our fog light covers in our car. i showed them happily to him and he let us go with a wave. (the MV Act and section are ofcourse hog wash as i do not know if it even has a section 33).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks