Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2009, 19:16   #31
BHPian

Expressway picture and traffic placement at the moment

Hi all,

Diagram explaining how the white innova was trying to endanger people.

The diagrams are not to scale, pic is actual expressway, the tanker was nearer than displayed in the diagram.
Attached Thumbnails
Tailgating @ 100kmph.!-expway.jpg  

Old 19th March 2009, 19:39   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
Reading through the thread, I guess the main problem is just plain ego (my car is faster than yours).

I've seen this a lot on highways.
Merc's / BMW's / Alto's / Omni's and what not, its not the car its the nut behind the wheel who has a problem.
Please add Santro's too to that list. Many a times I also get into that trance state and give into my racing instincts.

Later I realised abt how pointless is to go racing. Its better to keep to our optimal speed. Maybe I save 30 mins on a 300km distance, but then I save fuel and enjoy the feel of driving for more time and if we are driving through some scenic routes, why not enjoy the scenaries as well? :-).

I nowadays put all windows up and listen to some soft music and calm my nerves when such morons come up against my rear-view-mirror
Old 19th March 2009, 20:03   #33
BHPian

on my way back from chennai (after an opeth concert) at around 1am i saw many b'lore dudes driving back high on music... we were all well above 120 (and i at 140 - 160)

i didn't even know these guys but we were driving, racing, catching up, losing each other all the way to krishnagiri...

it was great to experience such good habits from drivers...

anecdotal info: i was racing everyone, losing most of them.. but there were these 2 tail lamps (far far away) that i was trying to catch up for a good 10 minutes...

when i (finally) caught up, i saw it was a ZEN ESTILLO!!! my jaw hit the brake pedal (!)

of course i took off with a vngeance and lost the zen after some time (longer than with most cars)

later (icing on the cake) i died (almost) only to stop at a chai-shop and see the zen pull up and 2 girls walk out of it!!!

i complimented them on their driving, threw the chai, drove back slowly (in shock)
Old 19th March 2009, 21:34   #34
Senior - BHPian

The image makes thing clear that you could have a close shave with tanker. You have a reason to be so angry. This type of drivers are very frustrating. We have faced Innova and Scorpio and Safari like these.

I remember once a Safari guy did this. We were overataking a slow moving Civic and he did the same thing you faced. The civic driver came to know about this and gave more space to us, he ended up on service lane. The Safari then came ahead of us and braked hard and started pushing us towards the service lane.

I was angry to no end. I wanted to bash that driver. The long third of Baleno took care of him. We made sure he was irriated by slowing down and soon as he acceleareted, we too did that and that safari has not strenght to move fast.
Did the same thing he did with us and he almost ended up in the road divider at around 140 kmph. Never saw him again though we dropped our speed to around 90kmph.

If you can find that man out and for sure give him your piece of mind. He badly NEEDS that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
+1 to that. On a recent highway drive in a Zen Estilo (it has WagonR's engine I believe), I easily outran an Innova. Don't know if it was Petrol or Diesel though. The moron inside had some problem I guess. Driving in the middle of a 2 lane highway & not giving side after coupla honks and dippers (..
Zen Estilo and Wagon R and Alto are based on same platform. Wagon R an Estilo share powertrain.

Innova diesel can go upto 140, but Wagon R can easily take care of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
Reading through the thread, I guess the main problem is just plain ego (my car is faster than yours).

Again the "nut" will try to run like a guy possessed.
IMO never play chicken which guys like that, let them pass and let him find his match. That just might teach him a lesson.
Its Pseudo ego that spoils everything.
And yes its correct, let him go, he will meet his match that will teach him lesson.
Old 19th March 2009, 21:47   #35
Senior - BHPian

@mmjgm : i do mumbai pune regularly. The rented car drivers are the worse, the innovas, sumos driver particularly are horrible. What happened with you is extremely scary because there were lives at stake here.

As a rule i keep a cricket bat ready with me, and yes i have had to use it. If you wanted to teach him a lesson you had a chance then and there, but now there is no use of pursuing him. I echo other peoples thought you will be inviting more problem.

If you are a regular driver on highways I suggest you keep a bat or a rod handy, I know this comment sounds absolutely stupid, but there are times when morons need to be tought lessons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post

If am driving a Wagon R I would be very skeptical of going to those speeds.

Cheers,
AC

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th March 2009 at 09:52. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post.
Old 19th March 2009, 22:09   #36
Senior - BHPian

Tailgating is 'sometimes' an essential feature of driving in India. Too many weekend warriors who usually live and drive/never drive in cities, small towns and villages, drive out on weekends and holidays on to our highways. These unenlightened souls have no clue about driving on the Highway. They never drive above 80, mostly have their music turned on, having conversation with their family/wife/friends, or have kids in the backseat making a ruckus.
Now one fine holiday, they hit the highway, stick to the fast lane and dont budge, they cannot/wont see their RVM, because they are not used to driving or they are plain dumb and have set it to view the backseat of their own car. They also cannot hear the horn because of the music blaring inside and the windows rolled up due to ac running or they just ignore you thinking that just because they own a car they have right of way on the fast lane and are not obligated to move over.

Then you have a driver like me who lives life driving on the highway putting in more miles in a year than most people see in their car owning lifetime, doing this everyday in the fast lane at a fast pace.
Now I come upon one such unenlightened soul who cannot move or willfully stays on the fast lane. Couple that with heavy vehicles, 3 wheelers, uneducated drivers all fighting for a share of the fast lane which leaves someone like me with no option but to overtake from the left like a rocket OR if all the lanes are blocked by these wise guys then I have no option but to tailgate the stupid slow coach in the fast lane.

One might think are attribute such behaviour with rash or negligent driving. But that is not true. These individuals who occupy fast lanes at slow speeds are a hazard and can and do cause accidents due to their ignorance, lack of skill/judgement and stupidity.

In an ideal world tailgating is not right and not safe. But in India, at times, it is an essential necessity. Neither are Indian roads and driving conditions ideal.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 19th March 2009 at 22:11.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2009, 22:47   #37
Senior - BHPian

What happened on the road stays on the road. Don't take it home with you.
There's no point in pursuing the Innova guy since no one is hurt.
Save it for next time, don't wait next time.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2009, 23:05   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
I will find this person by hook or crook.
All the best!. If you find him, give an invitation to join BHP.

There will be 100s of such incidents happening every day. At least let us try to practice healthy driving - tailing too.

One day, i hope every driver on the road becomes a member of BHP and will practice safe driving.
Old 19th March 2009, 23:21   #39
BANNED

. Highway driving is different ball game from city driving. Most learn driving in city and are clueless when they hit the highway.

Highway driving is dangerous due to the higher speeds involved. In city if the driver loses control, he will hit other vehicles or obstacles comes to a halt. On highways, he will topple into a ditch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Now one fine holiday, they hit the highway, stick to the fast lane and dont budge, they cannot/wont see their RVM, because they are not used to driving or they are plain dumb and have set it to view the backseat of their own car. They also cannot hear the horn because of the music blaring inside and the windows rolled up due to ac running or they just ignore you thinking that just because they own a car they have right of way on the fast lane and are not obligated to move over.
Old 19th March 2009, 23:53   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
If elders would not have been in the car, I would have thrashed this guy to bleed. Call it violence or whatever.
I respect your opinion But I would rather let him go his own way. Atleast my duty is to protect myself and othes in my car and not to endanger others by speeding and ctaching that guy. Some people just learn after hitting a wall. Some even hitiing twice; and some never do. !

Always keep calm while in car, thats what i (try) to follow.
Old 20th March 2009, 01:29   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guns666 View Post
on my way back from chennai (after an opeth concert) at around 1am i saw many b'lore dudes driving back high on music... we were all well above 120 (and i at 140 - 160)

later (icing on the cake) i died (almost) only to stop at a chai-shop and see the zen pull up and 2 girls walk out of it!!!

i complimented them on their driving, threw the chai, drove back slowly (in shock)
There's no need to throw your chai, what's if its a woman ? Did she have a choice to be a woman that we need to prove ourselves superior to them ? I dont think in the driving world there's a need to prove ourselves superior.

Women as an exception if good drivers they are really awesome drivers, a few of my family members are women drivers and very good at that.

Quote:
The image makes thing clear that you could have a close shave with tanker. You have a reason to be so angry. This type of drivers are very frustrating. We have faced Innova and Scorpio and Safari like these.

If you can find that man out and for sure give him your piece of mind. He badly NEEDS that.

Its Pseudo ego that spoils everything.
And yes its correct, let him go, he will meet his match that will teach him lesson.
There was a 95 year old lady in my car, at that age with medical complications do I need to do any thing else apart from giving them a sweet drive ? This is what boils me to no extent, along with that lady there was a 64 year old lady luckily she was asleep in the front passenger seat, she would not have taken the silent creep up of the innova in her conscious state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
@mmjgm : i do mumbai pune regularly. The rented car drivers are the worse, the innovas, sumos driver particularly are horrible. What happened with you is extremely scary because there were lives at stake here.

As a rule i keep a cricket bat ready with me, and yes i have had to use it. If you wanted to teach him a lesson you had a chance then and there, but now there is no use of pursuing him. I echo other peoples thought you will be inviting more problem.

Cheers,
AC
AC i know the IPC backwards, I'd rather not keep a bat or a any such thing around me, I'd keep my wits and my cell phone around me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
If am driving a Wagon R I would be very skeptical of going to those speeds.

Cheers,
AC
Umm, do a drive with me, the speeds are very well done, even 160 i have had people sleeping in my car, however this needs to be done with years of experience and hard knocks behind you, with 110% knowledge of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Tailgating is 'sometimes' an essential feature of driving in India.

In an ideal world tailgating is not right and not safe. But in India, at times, it is an essential necessity. Neither are Indian roads and driving conditions ideal.
The manner it was done by this madman driving his fathers' or benefactor's Innova does not make me seem worth while,

1) Driving without headlights on or any lights on = on an expressway.
2) Co ercing someone else to make a mistake, i've repeatedly said a tanker was to my left (the right was a typo regret that)

A tanker, now I am not the ones who reads the Hazard (IMDG) labels on tankers while I drive past them, sufficient to say had I hit it, he would have panicked and stepped on the brakes causing a disaster. Be it edible oil, petroleum, oleum, sulphuric acid, it would have harmed far more than me and Mr Ill gotten gains Innova driver.

Rest said, I took evasive action at the point of time

May be tailgating at a traffic jam is the best idea known to mankind, its to me also. I mean this seriously, tailgating @ 5kmph is okay,there sufficient time to react, not at 100kmph with an INTENT to be harmful. Heck Even i own an Innova, I don't go around doing this kind of "heck i am driving a bigger & powerful car than you,, you are slow you are inconsequential" antics.

Even if it was the Innova my passengers on that day and myself were in, I would yet drive at the same speeds and in the same manner to take evasive manner,
on second thoughts thank god i had some room to maneuver and not in the Innova.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuks View Post
All the best!. If you find him, give an invitation to join BHP.

There will be 100s of such incidents happening every day. At least let us try to practice healthy driving - tailing too.

One day, i hope every driver on the road becomes a member of BHP and will practice safe driving.

Thanks bijuks, his name already features on the first search for MH 14 BK 5000 on google
Thanks

regards drive and live safe

M

Last edited by mmmjgm : 20th March 2009 at 01:38.
Old 20th March 2009, 10:13   #42
BHPian

@mmmjgm: yesterday i found a vehicle with number MH12 CK 5000 but the number is on WagonR not on innova. I think you have found the person on google?

This is election time innova might be carrying some important stuff (money, weapons etc) to be delevered at some place.

Common leave that guy to perish some where on highway and come to mumbai pune meet.
Old 20th March 2009, 13:59   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post

May be tailgating at a traffic jam is the best idea known to mankind, its to me also. I mean this seriously, tailgating @ 5kmph is okay,there sufficient time to react, not at 100kmph with an INTENT to be harmful.
It is futile to tailgate at 5kmph and completely senseless to do so in traffic. At best you will be stuck behind a slow car. In traffic the best approach is to maintain distance enough so you can change lanes quickly and smartly.

Tailgating works and is mostly effective at higher speeds since you know that the vehicle you are tailgating will not 'panic brake'. Tailgating is surely dangerous at high speeds especially if you do not know how to correct a driving error caused by the vehicle you are tailgating.

Cheers.
Old 20th March 2009, 16:20   #44
Senior - BHPian

Might be "Yamraj" has got multiple vacancies at his office so "Mr Innova" was to take someone along

On a serious note such drivers/riders act as if they have an appointment with "Yamraj"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Please stop berating the Innova driver.
He has an appointment with Yamraj.
And is trying to meet him asap.
Maybe wants to work for Yamraj as well.
Old 20th March 2009, 16:31   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was angry to no end. I wanted to bash that driver. The long third of Baleno took care of him. We made sure he was irriated by slowing down and soon as he acceleareted, we too did that and that safari has not strenght to move fast.
Did the same thing he did with us and he almost ended up in the road divider at around 140 kmph. Never saw him again though we dropped our speed to around 90kmph.
Mate, don't do these things on the expressway at high speeds. Apart from your own self, you're endangering the lives of everyone in your car - and the other car as well. At those speeds, it takes but a twitch for things to go horribly wrong. Not worth it. Seriously.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks