Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2009, 17:36   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
Umm, do a drive with me, the speeds are very well done, even 160 i have had people sleeping in my car, however this needs to be done with years of experience and hard knocks behind you, with 110% knowledge of the car.
I definately would not recommend to go at 160 kmph in a wagonR. I had wagonR previously and I know how the vehicle behaves after 120kmph. It is too dangerous. BTW, have you modified your vehicle by any chance with performance filters or something...attaining 160 kmph in wagon is little difficult.
Old 20th March 2009, 18:05   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
I definately would not recommend to go at 160 kmph in a wagonR. I had wagonR previously and I know how the vehicle behaves after 120kmph. It is too dangerous. BTW, have you modified your vehicle by any chance with performance filters or something...attaining 160 kmph in wagon is little difficult.
My bad, should have clarified, 160 in an Innova/Pajero. My unmodified, stock factory specifications WagonR does 140-145 tops. I do these speeds only on the expressway. Never felt uncomfortable or unsafe at these speeds, the WagonR can do it however only hitch is a pothole or an object of considerable height on the road can shake it up big time, otherwise crosswinds or no, on a level smooth road the car can do some serious speeds.

Cheers.
Old 20th March 2009, 18:05   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Mate, don't do these things on the expressway at high speeds. Apart from your own self, you're endangering the lives of everyone in your car - and the other car as well. At those speeds, it takes but a twitch for things to go horribly wrong. Not worth it. Seriously.
+1 to that. No use letting your ego get into play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
+1 to that too. I guess Estilo is better designed aerodynamically but still it feels very nervous after 120, unless you're driving it in a straight line with windows up. But love to rip to 140+ speeds in the Esteem.
Old 20th March 2009, 18:25   #49
BANNED

With no safety features on any of the cars mentioned above and still doing speeds of 120, 140 & 160 on Indian highways?

You guys are living a charmed life. Dont push your luck too far. Leave early drive comfortably and reach home comfortably and not in a coffin.
Old 19th January 2011, 05:17   #50
BHPian

Re: Tailgating @ 100kmph.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
I was on my way yesterday (17/3) to Pune on the expressway, after lonavla it was dark, was overtaking a tanker on my left, with a truck on my left.

Intrinsically there are three lanes on the expressway with a lay by area (dead lane) on the extreme left of the Mumbai Pune expressway, there is also a couple of feet distance between the barrier wall on the first lane (the fastest and the last lane on the expressway) and the the lane.

At approx 8 pm there's this crazed innova driver who without lights comes close to my bumper , less than a feet away, I am doing a 100kmph in a WagaonR trying to overtake a tanker on my right, he's in the middle lane, I am peacefully trying to overtake, I have flashed my lights and he's moved into the middle lane.

Suddenly I see a light in my OVRM & rear view mirror, this man driving an innova white colour, MH 14 BK 5000 number plate, is flashing his lights less than a feet away from my bumper !!

I did not see his lights, he had most probably after market xenons or blue lights.
Full white Innova, bearing number plate MH 14 BK 5000.

I try and move a bit aside, he's now beginning to overtake from my right hand side, he's passed into the run off area between the lane marker & the barrier seperating the traffic from one side from the other.

He then flashes lights, honks meanwhile getting into the space between the barrier and me, all this is happening at 100kmph.

I am compelled to nearly run into the tanker on my left, (to avoid the Innova banging into me @ 100kmph) who i am overtaking and spare a couple of inches distance from him while this (unmentionable) Innova driver has to pass me by my right half on the last lane and half into the run off area sparing inches between my car and the metal barrier.

What's the use of all this ? I had elderly people in my car, there was no way I could have chased, followed up with him.

There's no way in hell anything would have compelled anyone to drive like that. Apart from a hit and run. This person when he passed seemed like a joy rider as he was doing the same with everyone else on the road including heavily laden tankers/trailer tractors carrying steel coils and other road users.

I will find this person by hook or crook.

Meanwhile any one having info on this car please inform me.
Did the Innova have 5000 written in a bigger font than the rest on the no. plate?

I had a similar incident with a white Innova who approached me with lights off then started flashing (hid) and honking, this happened on my way back from Karjat; number too was 5000 but couldn't see the rest as he whizzed by on an unlit highway.

It's a good decision not to chase these kind of drivers, your just putting yourself, him and others at more risk, this can be taken as a sign to race.
Old 19th January 2011, 12:30   #51
Team-BHP Support

No emergency can justify maniacal driving. Getting there in one piece is as important (if not more) as getting there ASAP. Wouldn't a hurry-induced mishap just pile more misery on top of the emergency?

On another note, it's really worrying how easily we consider and suggest violent retaliation to such incidents. It's easy to get abusive/violent, but to what end?
Old 19th January 2011, 12:44   #52
BHPian

You can call it a coward approach, but looking at what is happening all around, It is best to give yourself a few seconds so that you can swallow your anger and move on with whatever you were doing/where ever you were going. It is just not worth it to think of retaliation.

NCR sees at least one incident of violent road rage every week if not every day. Most often then not it leads to someone loosing his life. It could be a resturant manager being driven over after the rage and it could be a guy who got killed because the moment he opened the door of his car it brushed a walker who happened to be a high headed property dealer.
Old 19th January 2011, 15:45   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
They never drive above 80, mostly have their music turned on, having conversation with their family/wife/friends, or have kids in the backseat making a ruckus.
Now one fine holiday, they hit the highway, stick to the fast lane and dont budge, they cannot/wont see their RVM, because they are not used to driving or they are plain dumb and have set it to view the backseat of their own car. They also cannot hear the horn because of the music blaring inside and the windows rolled up due to ac running or they just ignore you thinking that just because they own a car they have right of way on the fast lane and are not obligated to move over.

Then you have a driver like me who lives life driving on the highway putting in more miles in a year than most people see in their car owning lifetime, doing this everyday in the fast lane at a fast pace.
Now I come upon one such unenlightened soul who cannot move or willfully stays on the fast lane. Couple that with heavy vehicles, 3 wheelers, uneducated drivers all fighting for a share of the fast lane which leaves someone like me with no option but to overtake from the left like a rocket OR if all the lanes are blocked by these wise guys then I have no option but to tailgate the stupid slow coach in the fast lane.

I agree with this. Its one thing when its a heavily laden lorry, but its annoying when its a car driven by a clueless driver hogging the lane.
Old 19th January 2011, 22:19   #54
BHPian

I too agree that people shouldnt hog the lane at 80kmph but still even when im at 120lmph theres some idiot who thinks im hogging the lane and wants me to move, now at 120 in my i20 it take time to move as steering gets very sensitive, i also have to slow down, find a gap, so while I'll be moving to the left the car behind also tries to overtake from the left and barely misses me while overtaking. No matter how fast you go 100, 120, 140 theres always some egomaniac who wants to go faster. And yeah they also give a sinister look while overtaking but if you ain't superman and you don't have laser eyes I'm not intimidated by the look. This is the story of all my drives on the E-way.
Old 20th January 2011, 12:11   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead666 View Post
I too agree that people shouldnt hog the lane at 80kmph but still even when im at 120lmph theres some idiot who thinks im hogging the lane and wants me to move...
On highways its better to be on the left/middle lane even when doing 100+ speeds. The right lane is for overtaking. Also its very important to know how you're places w.r.t. the traffic as there always will be vehicles going faster than you. A quick look into the RVM/ORVMs every few seconds helps.

IMHO, people wanting you to move are not idiots, just driving faster than you and you're indeed hogging the lane.
Old 20th January 2011, 12:48   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
I agree with this. Its one thing when its a heavily laden lorry, but its annoying when its a car driven by a clueless driver hogging the lane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Tailgating is 'sometimes' an essential feature of driving in India.
==========
Neither are Indian roads and driving conditions ideal.
It's utterly frustrating when the traffic is being blocked by such dumbheads. Last week Bangalore - Mysore hwy, I came across one such chap and just wanted to stop him in the middle of the road and slap him then and there. This guy in an Alto took a U-turn without any consideration to oncoming traffic and I had to slam the breaks to avoid collision and then he moves at a speed of not more than 40 kmph on the fast lane. I infact passed him and slowed down in front of him for a few seconds to make him understand how annoying it is but seems like he wasn't in a mood to move. What's more disgusting is the car had a 1-2 yr old kid in the car? Just hope the kid reached home safely.
Old 20th January 2011, 13:00   #57
BHPian

I have never seen people overtaking me then shifting to the middle lane. The sad thing is not everyone on road is a t-bhpian so how can i follow a rule which other car drivers have no clue about. Anyways a lane just for overtaking is a luxury in India, IF there is room in the second lane to do 90-100 i always do that. Since the set limit is 80 which is obviously low then what is the sensible upper limit. Whats the point of bitching about road conditions and reckless drivers if we dont follow the most important rule of speed limit. If people think a little hatch is capable of doing 140-150 without getting nervous then i think they have no sense of self preservation that is why they don't feel nervous. I will drive in the second lane when its empty and people who want to RIP should also do when the roads are empty.
Old 20th January 2011, 16:11   #58
Senior - BHPian

IMHO, the main problem is with car drivers who zig zag through the lanes. I dont mind anybody in any lane as long as they stay there or at least indicate when they will move. On the e-way I have seen a lot of people (mostly Innova drivers) who swing from the first lane to the third trying to overtake someone in the middle lane. I had a driver once who did that and I made him wait at the next Khopoli stop for around 45 minutes. When he asked I only told him that I am covering up for the time that he gained by driving rash and I didnt want to reach the airport (or somewhere else!) early. Khopoli to Sahar was a very sedate drive.
Old 8th February 2011, 16:58   #59
BHPian

Please be very careful when such incidents happen.
Allow the aggressor to overtake, give way at the earliest.
You never know who are all in the other vehicle and what weapons
they might be carrying.

There have been incidents in the city (Bangalore) wherein folks
have been beaten up in broad daylight due to such road rage incidents
and no one has come to help.

I was once almost run off the highway when I wanted to overtake someone.

Regards
Ravi.
Old 8th February 2011, 21:32   #60
BHPian

Good that you are safe. Mumbai-Pune Exp Way has become a nightmare. I travel on this road almost twice a week. The way people drive is not funny, they dont even care for their and other people's lives. Yesterday itself a Omni got crushed leaving 6 dead.

Most Viewed