Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2009, 10:23   #256
BHPian

Any updates on the Durgam Cheruvu road? They have dug up even more of the Narne / Filmnagar road and now you can expect a traffic jam immediately after climbing the steep slope. Also, immediately after you climb the steep slope there is a bad patch where people suddenly slow down. So guys with petrol cars try to keep some distance so that you don't brake and stall the car in the middle of the slope, with a honking car behind!
Old 23rd September 2009, 10:32   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
Any updates on the Durgam Cheruvu road? They have dug up even more of the Narne / Filmnagar road and now you can expect a traffic jam immediately after climbing the steep slope. Also, immediately after you climb the steep slope there is a bad patch where people suddenly slow down. So guys with petrol cars try to keep some distance so that you don't brake and stall the car in the middle of the slope, with a honking car behind!
Nothing seems to be moving on the Durgam Cheruvu road---I peeped out of my window last evening and saw only mobikes on that road.
I agree with the new nuisance on the top of Narne Road.
BTW, don't diesel cars stall on sudden braking on a slope? At least mine is a petrol and never stalled so far.
Old 23rd September 2009, 10:52   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
BTW, don't diesel cars stall on sudden braking on a slope?
Yes even diesel cars can stall. But they can move in a lower speed even in a higher gear without stalling compared to a petrol car. On my petrol Swift I cannot even take that slope in 2nd gear if speed falls below 20 kmph.

I was once stuck behind a car which stalled and was sliding back everytime the guy started. I escaped somehow from being hit by sliding back myself, but it was close since there was another car right behind me!
Old 23rd September 2009, 13:52   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
They have dug up even more of the Narne / Filmnagar road and now you can expect a traffic jam immediately after climbing the steep slope. Also, immediately after you climb the steep slope there is a bad patch where people suddenly slow down. So guys with petrol cars try to keep some distance so that you don't brake and stall the car in the middle of the slope, with a honking car behind!
I take the whisper valley route daily and update as on today morning is its much better now and at the main steep they removed the center divider so there is a much wider road for both sides traffic to come through easily.

I agree its tough to maintain a petrol car on a steep compared to diesel. In my Viva, i am on 3rd gear at the main steep and chug along. If its standstill, i move to 1st gear and manage with clutch and accelarator which is so much easier in a diesel vehicle. If you press the brake, then it would be very tough to go back to accelarator without the car NOT sliding back. I guess all good drivers use the clutch/accelarator controlling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I agree with the new nuisance on the top of Narne Road.BTW, don't diesel cars stall on sudden braking on a slope? At least mine is a petrol and never stalled so far.
Venu, as explained above, diesels dont stall that easily. In fact, i am using the i10 and today drove to office in the same and i find it tough to maintain it on a slope ( probably because i hardly drive a petrol these days)
Old 23rd September 2009, 21:49   #260
BHPian

Hey what's up with all these cameras fitted in certain signals. I was parked near the Kothaguda jn. today and for the first time in Hyd, saw an automated camera fitted with the traffic signal. Couldn't really make out what the cam was capturing as it seemed to be randoming flashing on.

Where all are these cams fitted? Do they really work? What's the penalty?
Old 23rd September 2009, 22:00   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
Hey what's up with all these cameras fitted in certain signals. I was parked near the Kothaguda jn. today and for the first time in Hyd, saw an automated camera fitted with the traffic signal. Couldn't really make out what the cam was capturing as it seemed to be randoming flashing on.

Where all are these cams fitted? Do they really work? What's the penalty?
WHAT?
Do we have the cameras in our city too? It's high time the exotic car owners woke up... and make the cops go back to their hibernation again!

If this is being taken seriously by the cops, the Best solution would be to carry a mask and smile at the cameras wearing the mask! LOL!

As for the number plates, Since I want to avoid infractions, I better not disclose the same here!
Old 24th September 2009, 13:49   #262
Distinguished - BHPian

Took the whisper valley route today and before this route near film nagar club they are laying a divider and work is going on in full swing with granites all over the road. A bit of a jam can be expected there.

Also at the steep of whisper valley they have dug up the road again. When will this anarchy end?
Old 24th September 2009, 15:22   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
Hey what's up with all these cameras fitted in certain signals. I was parked near the Kothaguda jn. today and for the first time in Hyd, saw an automated camera fitted with the traffic signal. Couldn't really make out what the cam was capturing as it seemed to be randoming flashing on. Where all are these cams fitted? Do they really work? What's the penalty?
My second car was challaned for jumping a signal whilst red by way a camera captured image on 30-Aug at Jubilee Hills Check Post on a sunday afternoon. My first car which I was driving went through whilst signal was green.

Looks like the road rules of olden day Hyderabad are over - 5 cars will and must cross the junction even after the signal turns red.

Got the challan by ordinary post on 10-Sep.

Paid 135/-, challan amount of 100/- and eSeva's service charge of 35/- at eSeva.
Old 1st October 2009, 21:22   #264
BHPian

Is there something happening in the Cyber Towers jn.? Thought I saw the road going straight towards Kothaguda opened (when coming from Madhapur)? Was raining heavily and I was taking the thru-CT shortcut as I mentioned in a previous post. There was quite a traffic pileup from Motorola till the jn.
Old 10th October 2009, 17:41   #265
Team-BHP Support

Durgam Chevuru.

The road is still closed for four wheel traffic. But I have a feeling that a swb jeep will be able to cross the mud hill.

Bike traffic is very limited but the challenge has toned down.
Any one with decent riding skills should be able to take it.

Would not advice scooters on this stretch as of now.

The work this time is not just road related but the entire place has been dug up.
Pipes about 3 feet or so in diameter are being placed under the road.

Last edited by bblost : 10th October 2009 at 17:50.
Old 10th October 2009, 17:48   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Durgam Chevuru.

The road is still closed for four wheel traffic. But I have a feeling that a swb jeep will be able to cross the mud hill.

Bike traffic is very limited but the challenge has toned down.
Any one with decent riding skills should be able to take it.

Would not advice scooters on this stretch as of now.

The work this time is not just road related but the entire place has been bug up.
Pipes about 3 feet or so in diameter are being placed under the road.
Well, they laid pipes a year back also, when the road was closed for a month. As Nazim said, someone is making a quick buck from repeated work on that stretch!
Old 11th October 2009, 18:20   #267
Senior - BHPian

Query on cab fare from RGIA to AS Rao Nagar

Hi guys,

This might be a bit OT, but my brother is flying down to Hyd from Cal on Tuesday. He wanted to know how much a cab would cost to AS Rao Nagar from Shamshabad airport.

I don't have any info on that route, as it appears the shortest route would be via LB Nagar and Tarnaka. I know that it costs Rs 530 to my place at Somajiguda for a distance of 33 kms.

I also told him not to try the bus option, as there are 3 of them, and AFAIK, there is no bus upto AS Rao Nagar. Besides, paying 450 for 3 persons may not be that much cheaper than a cab.

Any clues are welcome.
Thanks

Last edited by vnabhi : 11th October 2009 at 18:21.
Old 11th October 2009, 19:57   #268
BHPian

My guess is that Shamshabad Airport to A S Rao Nagar should be around 45 km via L B Nagar & Tarnaka.

If your brother + 2 do not have luggage, a cheaper option is "Green Cabs", the A/C LPG Maruti 800s @ 10/- per km. Their Call Centre No. is 2460 6060/6664 4444. I have seen their representative at arrival exit guiding passengers to the correct vehicles.

Another alternative is non A/C Indica called "Airport PrePaid Cabs". Their representative is standing just outside the arrival exit. No idea as to how much they charge.

You can also call up Dot Cabs (2424 2424) and/or Easy Cabs (4343 4343) and negotaite before hand for a deal - I remember these companies sending an SMS that anywhere to airport maximum 499.

Also try Cel Cabs (2324 2526) and/or Yellow Taxi (4400 4400) and check out their offer.

By the way, it is exact 71 km round trip from Somajiguda Circle on Raj Bhawan Road to Airport (going via Road No. 1 and returning via Lakdi-Ka-Pul).
Old 11th October 2009, 20:11   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

Venu, the shortest route from Airport to A.S Rao Nagar is via Tarnaka, ECIL etc and would be easily 40kms and best option is to take the Rs.10/KM from green cabs if he is travelling light since it will be a M800.

Btw, from Himayathnagar to Airport, it is exactly 35kms via the Medhipatnam route. However, a few months ago, i started taking the Saidabad, Old Srisailam Highway and guess what, it is only 26kms from my home. Saved a whopping 9 kms
Old 12th October 2009, 10:50   #270
Senior - BHPian

Thanks hyd_traveller and Avi. I'll contact those numbers today---the green cabs look like a good option.

The distance from my house on Katriya lane to RGI Airport is 34 kms while going, and 35 while returning, owing to the divider on Raj Bhawan Road. I normally take the road via Raj Bhawan, KCP Jn, Taj Krishna, Masab tank road.

Most Viewed