Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2010, 12:21   #406
BHPian

Yesterday we went for a drive across the PVNR expressway to Shamshabad airport and then a little more distance towards Srisailam. While coming back I was stopped at a police outpost just before the airport. There was a hefty policeman in civilian clothes and big moustache. He asked me where I was going and I told him that I was going to Hyderabad. Then he told me that I can only go to airport and not to Hyderabad through that road and asked me to turn back!

I tried to reason with him but I think he was adamant not to let me go. Since I had my wife and baby on board I did not want to get into an argument and came back via Srisailam road - inner ring road.
Old 11th January 2010, 15:16   #407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
Yesterday we went for a drive across the PVNR expressway to Shamshabad airport and then a little more distance towards Srisailam. While coming back I was stopped at a police outpost just before the airport. There was a hefty policeman in civilian clothes and big moustache. He asked me where I was going and I told him that I was going to Hyderabad. Then he told me that I can only go to airport and not to Hyderabad through that road and asked me to turn back!

I tried to reason with him but I think he was adamant not to let me go. Since I had my wife and baby on board I did not want to get into an argument and came back via Srisailam road - inner ring road.
The policeman / security chap is right. That road is an approach road to the airport and is a private road. Though it connects the Srisailam Rd. with the Bangalore rd. it is nevertheless a private road.

What you refer to as the police outpost is probably the gate house at the entrance to the airport.

Cheers,
Old 11th January 2010, 15:25   #408
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday,I used the PV Narsimha Expressway for the first time as had to pick up wifey from airport at 7:00pm. Used it both ways and found it to be quite nice and not too bumpy as some folks outlined.

I was able to comfortably keep speeds of 120kmph for a long time. There are a couple of small speedbreakers but visible from a distance for you to slow down. Also encountered a couple of check post type of thing but with no one manning the same.

Overall, my first experience was satisfying, it really shaves off good time for the usual
Old 11th January 2010, 18:22   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
The policeman / security chap is right. That road is an approach road to the airport and is a private road. Though it connects the Srisailam Rd. with the Bangalore rd. it is nevertheless a private road.

What you refer to as the police outpost is probably the gate house at the entrance to the airport.

Cheers,
Thanks for the clarification! Is there any other road connecting Srisailam road to NH 7?
Old 13th January 2010, 00:39   #410
BHPian

I see increasing number of cars having the TG licence plate. Not new plates completely, but 'TG' paper stuck over or painted over the previous state code. I am just wondering whether this is voluntary show of support or people are being forced to do this. Any update on this?
Old 13th January 2010, 00:57   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Yesterday,I used the PV Narsimha Expressway for the first time as had to pick up wifey from airport at 7:00pm. Used it both ways and found it to be quite nice and not too bumpy as some folks outlined.

I was able to comfortably keep speeds of 120kmph for a long time. There are a couple of small speedbreakers but visible from a distance for you to slow down. Also encountered a couple of check post type of thing but with no one manning the same.

Overall, my first experience was satisfying, it really shaves off good time for the usual
I agree. i didnt find the ride bumpy as others described... i feel they did a good job, really reduces your travel time
Old 14th January 2010, 12:20   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday,I used the PV Narsimha Expressway for the first time.............I was able to comfortably keep speeds of 120kmph for a long time............
120? Maybe the speed limits of 40 and 60 at many places seem unrealistic, but, no offense meant, isn't 120 a bit too much on that flyover?

The Bandra Worli sea-link in Bombay which is much busier from what I understand has seen a few accidents - many blamed on speeding. One more yesterday involving three vehicles. Hope this one stays safer.
Old 15th January 2010, 09:36   #413
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wads78 View Post
I agree. i didnt find the ride bumpy as others described... i feel they did a good job, really reduces your travel time
Ah ! Atlast someone agrees !

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightdrive View Post
120? Maybe the speed limits of 40 and 60 at many places seem unrealistic, but, no offense meant, isn't 120 a bit too much on that flyover?

The Bandra Worli sea-link in Bombay which is much busier from what I understand has seen a few accidents - many blamed on speeding. One more yesterday involving three vehicles. Hope this one stays safer.
Well, when i was using that expressway, it was Sunday evening and was devoid of much traffic, so essentially i was neither putting myself at risk or other fellow road users.

Btw, if you drive my car at 120kmph, you feel as if your stationary
Old 15th January 2010, 18:19   #414
Distinguished - BHPian

Whisper Valley Road : Btw, i forgot to update, this week has been bliss with Whisper valley road laid down completely and you can take those steep curves smoothly without having to worry about those dreadful roads as before.

Except for one speed breaker at a vantage point, all is superb for driving on this road NOW.
Old 16th January 2010, 07:09   #415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whisper Valley Road : Btw, i forgot to update, this week has been bliss with Whisper valley road laid down completely and you can take those steep curves smoothly without having to worry about those dreadful roads as before.

Except for one speed breaker at a vantage point, all is superb for driving on this road NOW.
Nice to know that----that road had become horrid over the past couple of months. DC Road was as better option for me, esp after it was re-laid (I can hear Avi saying 'oh no, not DC Road again' ).

BTW, I haven't driven any darn car for the past two weeks and I am longing for a drive. Alas, that was not meant to be. As a means of solace, I am pushing off to NY early tomorrow on a Greyhound (Monday being a holiday in these parts).

Last edited by vnabhi : 16th January 2010 at 07:13.
Old 16th January 2010, 09:19   #416
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Nice to know that----that road had become horrid over the past couple of months. DC Road was as better option for me, esp after it was re-laid (I can hear Avi saying 'oh no, not DC Road again' ).
You bet, that's the first thought that crossed my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
BTW, I haven't driven any darn car for the past two weeks and I am longing for a drive. Alas, that was not meant to be. As a means of solace, I am pushing off to NY early tomorrow on a Greyhound (Monday being a holiday in these parts).
I was holidayed for 16 days and didnt drive myself. I practically drove me up the wall. So i can perfectly emphatize with you

Btw sir, when are you back from obamaland?
Old 19th January 2010, 15:05   #417
BHPian

Heard from someone about an overnight/24 hour car parking facility at Shamshabad Airport but he didn't have details.

Does anyone know the cost per day? And is it safe?

Thanks.
Old 19th January 2010, 15:36   #418
BHPian

It costs 250 Rs/24 hours - however last time I saw, there was no segmentation of short stay/long stay. Do call 040-66546370 and check - usually they get you most of the information you want.
Old 19th January 2010, 15:45   #419
BHPian

Thank you, adzegeek. Will call and check.
Old 19th January 2010, 16:38   #420
Distinguished - BHPian

250 bucks for 24 hours seem reasonable considering their hourly rates which are way too much.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks