Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2010, 16:52   #766
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzegeek View Post
anyone knows whether it is possible to take ORR to go to Bollarum as well i.e. circling through the west side to north?
The ORR strectches between Gachibowli and Mumbai Highway and Medak Highway and Nagpur Highway and Vijayawada Highway are not ready.

The next part to get ready will be between Gachibowli and Nagpur Highway.

The stretch between Nagpur Highway and Vijayawada Highway will be the last stretch to be completed.

OT : ORR will be be a toll road effetive December 2010.
Old 18th October 2010, 19:41   #767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
The ORR strectches between Gachibowli and Mumbai Highway and Medak Highway and Nagpur Highway and Vijayawada Highway are not ready.

The next part to get ready will be between Gachibowli and Nagpur Highway.

The stretch between Nagpur Highway and Vijayawada Highway will be the last stretch to be completed.

OT : ORR will be be a toll road effetive December 2010.
Are you saying that the entire stretch will get completed by Dec 2010. Looks highly unlikely to me going by the present pace of activities . May be there can be one Telengana Bandh to protest against toll on ORR.
Old 19th October 2010, 10:21   #768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Are you saying that the entire stretch will get completed by Dec 2010. Looks highly unlikely to me going by the present pace of activities . May be there can be one Telengana Bandh to protest against toll on ORR.
I guess I goofed up due to my poor English ...

The stretch between Gachibowli and Airport will become a toll road effective December 2010.

The entire stretch will take at least 3-5 years more if the Government remains pro-active.
Old 19th October 2010, 20:53   #769
Team-BHP Support

Some changes in Banjara Hills Rd#1.

The U Turn in front of Bikanerwala has been blocked. A couple of small gaps continue to be exploited by bikes.
A new U Turn is now created just before the Rd 12 junction.
Effectively the stretch between the Rd 12 and Rd 10 is without any U Turn.
Old 19th October 2010, 20:56   #770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

The U Turn in front of Bikanerwala has been blocked. A couple of small gaps continue to be exploited by bikes.
I think even the height of the divider has been raised. So does this mean that the guys at Care Hospital can no longer walk across to Sarvi for snacks?
Old 20th October 2010, 10:11   #771
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This was expected to happen, sooner or later.

After Bikanerwala has opened his shop,the traffic towards masab tank on Rd#1 is affected, courtesy the Bikanerwala customers parking thier vehicles in a haphazard manner.Traffic jams are a regular sight in front of Bikanerwala, specially on evenings and becomes worse on weekends.
Old 20th October 2010, 10:16   #772
Team-BHP Support

I think that blame needs to be shared by Taj Banjara and Karachi Bakery as well.
The presence of a wine shop with its open bar makes matters worse.

The Taj Banjara for instance needs heavy vehicles to enter from this gate. There is no way a truck can turn into it as the space for a u-Turn is very limited. I have seen water tankers drive on the wrong side of the road from the road just before Sarvi Bakery into the Hotel entrance. They have no choice unless they use some other entrance or completely redesign this entrance.
Old 20th October 2010, 11:21   #773
BHPian

Quote:
I think that blame needs to be shared by Taj Banjara and Karachi Bakery as well.
The presence of a wine shop with its open bar makes matters worse.

The Taj Banjara for instance needs heavy vehicles to enter from this gate. There is no way a truck can turn into it as the space for a u-Turn is very limited. I have seen water tankers drive on the wrong side of the road from the road just before Sarvi Bakery into the Hotel entrance. They have no choice unless they use some other entrance or completely redesign this entrance.
Are the water tankers using the main entrance of Taj Banjara?

I thought that was a strict no-no and they were required to use the service gate from Road No. 13.

With creation of this divider, I am a loser of a shortcut I was regularly using.

I used to cut into Taj Banjara from Road No. 1 and exit at Road No. 13 gate to reach Ohri's Banjara thus avoiding the crowded Road No. 1/12 junction.

Now I will have no choice but to use the Road No. 1/12 junction or go via City Centre mall - Road No. 10 route.
Old 20th October 2010, 11:48   #774
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I think even the height of the divider has been raised. So does this mean that the guys at Care Hospital can no longer walk across to Sarvi for snacks?
The gap in the median between Care and Sarvi for pedestrians is still there.
Checked it today morning.

Quote:
Are the water tankers using the main entrance of Taj Banjara?

I thought that was a strict no-no and they were required to use the service gate from Road No. 13.
It was a water tanker that was on its way towards Taj Banjara from the Sarvi side.
But I did not actually see it enter the gate. Assumed it had to be Taj Banjara because there is no other place for it to go as it had crossed the temple and it was exactly opposite the Vasan's dental clinic.
Old 21st October 2010, 12:27   #775
Team-BHP Support

The new arrangement does not do much to improve the traffic flow on this road. Spent just the same amount of time in the same quantum of traffic as always.
Old 21st October 2010, 12:30   #776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The new arrangement does not do much to improve the traffic flow on this road. Spent just the same amount of time in the same quantum of traffic as always.
Perhaps that is due to haphazard parking. Generally when a road is widened or a U turn is closed, people take advantage of the increased space to park their vehicles, especially autos.
Shopkeepers in turn must be advising their customers to park too.
Old 25th October 2010, 00:05   #777
BHPian

One suggested solution to greenlands mess.

At the Greenlands flyover, everyday traffic is slowed down to a crawl due to right turners occupying a significant part of the thoroughfare messing up traffic (me) going straight. Coupled with that people turning the wrong way into lifestyle and autos coasting along the road at 5kmph. This side of the road expands to almost 8 lanes in places from 3 lanes at the Begumpet bridge. Inconsistent lanes adds to confusion and messy driving.

Here is Part 1 of the solution to the menace, one without any slowdowns for traffic going straight at all! I used MSPaint due to lack of anything better. Please bear with me.

Hyderabad: Updates on traffic - diversions, road expansions, alternate routes, etc.-greenlands_2.jpg

Please click on image for better view.

In my solution:
The two lanes under the Begumpet bridge at the LifeStyle barely have enough traffic to need two lanes. This has been reduced to one normal lane and one Temporary Parking Lane (in criss-cross green marking, and can probably be painted green. See this painted lane), one that can be used by Autorikshaws/Taxis to drop off customers and car owners to stop for valet parking.

Barricades have been proposed separating the Begumpet bridge from the LifeStyle road to prevent illegal turns at the end of the bridge. This is longer than the current concrete dividers.

Width of thoroughfare has been fixed at 4 lanes, 3 Lanes from the Begumpet flyover + one coming from LifeStyle road. - this is something I propose for the entire SP road stretch. 4 on each side of the road. More on this later.

Taking advantage of the space created by the Greenlands flyover, two turning lanes have been added for those turning right towards Greenlands. Again metal barricades are proposed to prevent people turning right form the other lanes. One of these lanes also acts as a U-Turn. The pocket for these turning lanes is very long allowing for a significant number of vehicles to fit in. This has been achieved by extending the stop line farther than present since the right turn from Greenlands towards Somajiguda is disallowed.

People going straight from Somajiguda circle towards the Begumpet bridge have two lanes.

All unnecessarily paved road has been marked as Yellow (not including yellow lines indicating opposite sides of the road). These extra spaces can be used to construct some much needed footpaths and are wide enough in most places for trees as well.

It is my firm belief that if three lanes on each side of the Begumpet bridge are enough to get traffic going smoothly, we wouldn't need more than 4 consistent lanes on the road. My plan is to provide solutions for the entire SP Road stretch starting from St.Anns school until Somajiguda circle with 4 lanes on each side of the road. Ofcourse, I will assume the existing bottlenecks are sorted out, in my drawings.
Old 25th October 2010, 07:37   #778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
At the Greenlands flyover, everyday traffic is slowed down to a crawl due to right turners occupying a significant part of the thoroughfare messing up traffic (me) going straight. Coupled with that people turning the wrong way into lifestyle and autos coasting along the road at 5kmph. This side of the road expands to almost 8 lanes in places from 3 lanes at the Begumpet bridge. Inconsistent lanes adds to confusion and messy driving.
Sorry if I missed out the obvious. My doubt : What does the traffic coming from The County Club and UmaNagar do for turning right at Greenlands Junction to go towards Ameerpet? Will they not have to cut across the fast flowing Secunderabad-Madhapur traffic and either slow it down or become a cause of many accidents or maybe both?
Old 25th October 2010, 08:24   #779
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry if I missed out the obvious. My doubt : What does the traffic coming from The County Club and UmaNagar do for turning right at Greenlands Junction to go towards Ameerpet? Will they not have to cut across the fast flowing Secunderabad-Madhapur traffic and either slow it down or become a cause of many accidents or maybe both?
Hi Hyd_Traveller,

That is still unfixed in my solution. They will continue to cut across Sec-Madhapur traffic. Was trying to fix ONE of the two problems at the junction. Previously we had vehicles turning to Greenlands from every direction - left extreme lane to right extreme lane, and LifeStyle/Country club ALSO turning right cutting across to right.

We still do have them cutting across the traffic, but atleast, we have more sense prevailing here due to the right turn pockets. One of the solutions for CountryClub/LifeStyle traffic could be to extend the barricades at the Begumpet bridge end to a point where they can no longer take a right turn at Greenlands. But this will increase the commute time and distance for that traffic.

Last edited by hellmet : 25th October 2010 at 08:26.
Old 25th October 2010, 11:55   #780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
. One of the solutions for CountryClub/LifeStyle traffic could be to extend the barricades at the Begumpet bridge end to a point where they can no longer take a right turn at Greenlands. But this will increase the commute time and distance for that traffic.
This would force residents of Kundanbagh and Umanagar to go all the way upto Somajguda circle to take a U turn and then proceed to Greenlands or to Secunderabad. Though it is a good suggestion, the bureaucrats and ministers staying in those areas will shoot down any such proposal.

As regards dedicating right turn lanes for those coming from Secunderabad, it is a good idea. But somehow I feel nearly 70% of the vehicles take a right turn towards Ameerpet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks