Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2012, 15:28   #1201
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyderabad: Updates on traffic - diversions, road expansions, alternate routes, et

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
You are correct Rajesh Bhai!! Don't know why, this has not been done yet.

1.The traffic coming from Kavuri Hills can should compulsorily turn left, and take the route marked by green line while going to hi-tech city.
2.Vehicle which has to turn right at the PBEL jn. can also turn left and take the U-turn and proceed towards Cyberabad Police Station.
3.Vehicle coming from Hi-tech city toward Kavuri hills can take both the routes marked in red lines.
4.This would end the jam in front of the IGNOU study centre and at the HMWS&SB turning, which are the major bottlenecks on the route.
+1 to your views, Manish. I was having the same plan too. By the way, I already practise point 1 above, as it is easier to dive into that 3-point junction from that side.
Old 2nd April 2012, 15:56   #1202
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyderabad: Updates on traffic - diversions, road expansions, alternate routes, et

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
+1 to your views, Manish. I was having the same plan too. By the way, I already practise point 1 above, as it is easier to dive into that 3-point junction from that side.
oh, you already do that!
I have been thinking of doing the same, but never actually tried that. Will do that from tomorrow morning then.
Old 21st April 2012, 14:13   #1203
BHPian

Does anyone have updates about the road connecting from Ramanaidu studios to Mumbai highway? There is a stretch in between which was really rough? ANy idea if it is usbale now? This road should cut down the distance between Mpatnam and J.Hills quite a bit if its built properly.
Old 21st April 2012, 17:38   #1204
BHPian

Not completed as yet.
hyd_traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2012, 23:06   #1205
Team-BHP Support

Not a traffic update. But something that happened on my way back today.

I was riding on the service lane of the ORR.
Near the Narsingi roundabout my horn stopped working.

I dismissed it as a weak battery. A couple of meters ahead the rear tire bounced on a rock.

Luckily I did not have any balancing issues.

A km later, I look down and find my roots vibrosonic horn missing.
I realise this is what my tire must have bounced on.
I turned around and ride back towards it.

I cannot find it anywhere.

Dejected, I start riding back. About 2 kms later, I find 2 guys waving me down.
They had found my horn and were waiting for me to come back and reclaim it.

These good guys had tried calling out to me when I passed them on my way back. But I did not see them. They realised I will come back when I don't find the horn. So they were waiting for me.

What a fantastic city, we live in.

Sorry for going off topic. But I just wanted to say this is without doubt a city with some of the finest people in it.
A big Salam to Hyderabad.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2012, 00:56   #1206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost
What a fantastic city, we live in.

Sorry for going off topic. But I just wanted to say this is without doubt a city with some of the finest people in it.
A big Salam to Hyderabad.
On the whole, I agree with you (also considering Hyd is my home town and was where I was born and brought up). Can't imagine something similar to your experience in most major cities.

But around 2 years back, the very next day after I bought my Civic, I unfortunately grazed hard against a bad speed-breaker in Begumpet (the Varun Motors service centre lane behind Shopper's Stop and further ahead of Maxivision).

The chrome exhaust tips fell off. I could make out a metallic sound but didn't guess it was these. A biker couple following us immediately pulled over and alerted us. We parked the car and went back near the 'breaker, and the tips were nowhere to be found. We were late by hardly half a minute, and the street was not at all busy.

I had an experience similar to yours, though, in Gachibowli though a few months prior to the Civic incident. The ISB - MSFT road had a huge ditch just after the crest (between MSFT gates 2 & 3) and it was new so caught quite a few cars off-guard. It was a weekend afternoon so once again traffic was practically non-existent. I was driving my Dad's Indigo and the right wheels went into the ditch. The hub caps came off and I pulled over at a safe distance. There was another car in the vicinity and its driver too was bent down examining the wheels. Even before I could properly scout for the caps, a pedestrian went out into the middle of the road and fetched them for us. We were speechless for a while and he was gone even before we could realise what happened and began to thank him.

It's possible that people around the outskirts still have that idyllic innocence about them which the core city-dwellers have slowly been losing over time.

Regards,
spadix
Old 21st May 2012, 18:16   #1207
Senior - BHPian

NH7 to NH9(Miyapur)

What is the best route from Kompally to Miyapur.I remember discussing about a route which goes via Dundigul AF Station,but cant seem to remember the directions.I am aware till the point where the road from Kompally joins the Medak road.At that junction do I take a right or a left?AFAIK the left would take me Balanagar.

Any reccomendations pls?
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2012, 19:29   #1208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1
What is the best route from Kompally to Miyapur.I remember discussing about a route which goes via Dundigul AF Station,but cant seem to remember the directions.I am aware till the point where the road from Kompally joins the Medak road.At that junction do I take a right or a left?AFAIK the left would take me Balanagar.

Any reccomendations pls?
You have to go straight at that junction. Left goes to Balanagar, right goes to Dindigul AFB and straight to Bachupally and then Miyapur.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2012, 19:37   #1209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
You have to go straight at that junction. Left goes to Balanagar, right goes to Dindigul AFB and straight to Bachupally and then Miyapur.

Regards,
spadix
Is it an easier route?considering the fact that its going to be an early morning drive.Do I need to go all the way till the AFSt to take the road to Miyapur?Any GM link?
Old 21st May 2012, 19:43   #1210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it an easier route?considering the fact that its going to be an early morning drive.Do I need to go all the way till the AFSt to take the road to Miyapur?Any GM link?
The route's very easy. I have never done it during peak hours but have used it many times between 10/11 am and 5 pm, and it's smooth. I don't think you need worry since yours is going to be an early morning drive. This route got waterlogged in parts in 2010, but that was then (during the monsoon) and this is now.

I'll just edit this post in a couple of minutes with a GM link.

EDIT: Here's the link - http://g.co/maps/43kwk

You don't have to visit the AFS at all. It's a simple straight at that junction near Bahadurpally.

Regards,
spadix

Last edited by spadix : 21st May 2012 at 19:45.
spadix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2012, 20:24   #1211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
The route's very easy. I have never done it during peak hours but have used it many times between 10/11 am and 5 pm, and it's smooth. I don't think you need worry since yours is going to be an early morning drive. This route got waterlogged in parts in 2010, but that was then (during the monsoon) and this is now.

I'll just edit this post in a couple of minutes with a GM link.

EDIT: Here's the link - NH 7 to Bollaram Rd/Medak Rd/National Highway 9 - Google Maps

You don't have to visit the AFS at all. It's a simple straight at that junction near Bahadurpally.

Regards,
spadix
Hey thanks a ton for this.Shall try this out tomorrow and report back
Old 21st May 2012, 20:32   #1212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey thanks a ton for this.Shall try this out tomorrow and report back
Any time!

Thought I should mention that neither too early nor too late might mean heavy truck traffic. I used to see lots of parked trucks on this route but again, this was during daylight when these trucks are anyway not allowed to be/drive within city limits.

The case might be very different come early morning.

The road's wide and smooth (albeit undivided) but the bigger issue would be a few curves and undulations. The terrain is a little up-and-down in places. Although gradual, you won't be able to see over a couple of those crests.

Take care.

Regards,
spadix
Old 21st May 2012, 22:50   #1213
Senior - BHPian

Hyd Traffic Police have done a good job in enforcing free left at most road junctions. But there is still something lacking in that they are not able to prevent vehicles from stopping on the free left spots for picking up and dropping people. One such pain point is the left turn from Begumpet to Raj Bhavan Road, at Amrutha Mall.

Another mistake they've made is to extend the divider on the Taj Krishna Junction on the road leading to it from KCP Jn/ RTA Khairtatabad. Earlier, the divider was only 30 feet from the junction, and cars were able to move freely. But last week they increased it to around 100 feet (almost upto Taj Deccan). As a result, it takes nearly 5 minutes to cross the junction.

What makes things tough is the clutch and brake action on the steep slope, especially with novice drivers in front of you. The slope was there earlier, but now the narrow stretch has increased, and more often than not, vehicles keep stopping at the private gate to Taj Krishna on the slope, thereby choking that stretch. Earlier, one could swing right and then squeeze into the lane before the divider.

Traffic is less nowadays owing to summer, but things are going to get nasty next month at this spot.

Last edited by vnabhi : 21st May 2012 at 22:51.
Old 23rd May 2012, 23:40   #1214
ahm

Quote:
Hyd Traffic Police have done a good job in enforcing free left at most road junctions. But there is still something lacking in that they are not able to prevent vehicles from stopping on the free left spots for picking up and dropping people. One such pain point is the left turn from Begumpet to Raj Bhavan Road, at Amrutha Mall.

Very True. There are a couple of issues that needs to be taken care of.

First, free left should be really 'free' (like you said).

Second, the width of such free left demarcations is limited to a single lane everywhere irrespective of the volume of traffic using that particular free left. A good example is the junction right in front of Assembly Hall. Traffic moving from Public Garden towards Lakdikapul has to go through that narrow single lane free left. My estimate is that more than 50% of the traffic coming from Public Garden goes to Lakdikapul and as a consequence has to go through that bottle neck. The other less than 50% that goes towards RBI enjoys wider road.

Third, the traffic cones are usually kept from 8:00 onwards. I am not sure what time they are taken off the road. Some times I am not sure if the cone is there or not. There should be some mechanism so I can know that cones are in place, something like 'free left traffic cones ahead' sign, May be written on a gas ballon and tied with a string to the first cone (string being long enough so it is visible from atleast 100 ft).

Quote:
Another mistake they've made is to extend the divider on the Taj Krishna Junction on the road leading to it from KCP Jn/ RTA Khairtatabad. Earlier, the divider was only 30 feet from the junction, and cars were able to move freely. But last week they increased it to around 100 feet (almost upto Taj Deccan). As a result, it takes nearly 5 minutes to cross the junction.
Actually it was to solve one problem, now we have another problem. Traffic coming from GVK One and moving towards Masab Tank has to stop at the Taj Krishna Junction signal. Some dint want to wait till it is green (particularly bikers and some crazy car drivers as well). These people used to take free left, move 30 feet, take a U turn, another 30 feet, and another free left and voilą. Now with the longer divider I dont see that problem any more.

Quote:
Traffic is less nowadays owing to summer, but things are going to get nasty next month at this spot.
Its nasty even now between 18:00-21:00.
Old 24th May 2012, 15:09   #1215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahm View Post

Actually it was to solve one problem, now we have another problem. Traffic coming from GVK One and moving towards Masab Tank has to stop at the Taj Krishna Junction signal. Some dint want to wait till it is green (particularly bikers and some crazy car drivers as well). These people used to take free left, move 30 feet, take a U turn, another 30 feet, and another free left and voilą. Now with the longer divider I dont see that problem any more.

Its nasty even now between 18:00-21:00.
I do see some nitwit bikers trying to cross that extended divider even now, thereby adding fuel to the fire!

I agree with your other points, but as regards floating balloons, I don't think they will ever see the light of the day. They may be stolen in no time by some beggars and sold off soon after.

Most Viewed