Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2013, 09:04   #1441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
Hi ppl,

Anyone aware of GPS device vendors around in Hyderabad??
Most ppl on 'The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread' seem to be ordering online (also appears more reasonable on pricing). However I need it in next two days or three, besides wanted to check out a couple of options hands-on before ordering.
Hi,

If you have a smart phone or tablet you can download NavFree . Excellent and available for offline use. It has all features the most gps navigators have.

Dadi
Old 15th January 2013, 09:13   #1442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadi Bhote View Post

Hi,

If you have a smart phone or tablet you can download NavFree . Excellent and available for offline use. It has all features the most gps navigators have.

Dadi
Navfree uses openstreetmaps. the quality and coverage is not adequate for every day use. The navigation software as such is pretty good.

Last edited by rknair : 15th January 2013 at 09:14.
Old 15th January 2013, 10:12   #1443
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyderabad: Updates on traffic - diversions, road expansions, alternate routes, et

Quote:
Thanks for the pointers .. Ranjit!!

I don't have a phone with GPS receivers, on the other hand folks on GPS thread seem to suggest GPS usage tends to drain phone batteries faster, hence I decided to go with a separate device.

I have earlier used a Garmin (I think 13xx) of a friend of mine, and I liked it for simplicity in display/use while MMI looks a little cumbersome in pictures, however cost and feature wise MMI seems most reasonable. That's why wanted to check some of MMIs and TomTom as well.
Imho MMi maps are the best in the country and they are sincere about keeping their maps updated.Tom Tom maps are so-so.Having said that Gps in India is best used to plot your own route,distances etc.I dont think I would ever trust any map completely as none of these have reached those levels of maturity.The prices that are being charged for these receivers IMo is atrocious.MMi has excellent coverage even in interior parts of the country as I have put it to test in some real remote parts of the country.
Old 16th January 2013, 12:27   #1444
BHPian

Re: Hyderabad: Updates on traffic - diversions, road expansions, alternate routes, et

Quote:
Hi ppl,

Anyone aware of GPS device vendors around in Hyderabad??
Most ppl on 'The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread' seem to be ordering online (also appears more reasonable on pricing). However I need it in next two days or three, besides wanted to check out a couple of options hands-on before ordering.
You can either buy RoadPilot-MMI (Rs.5590) online or off the shelf from the places Ranjit suggested or buy a low budget smartphone (4-7K) from MicroMax or Karbonn and use Google/Sygic/MMI maps and keep the phone for navigation purpose only (and/or use it as a phone when not travelling).

I used my phone MicroMax A110 for my trip to Pondicherry and it was pretty good. Yes, the battery drains pretty quickly and I had charge it all the time. The only part you will have to be concerned about is the road condition which can be answered right here on the forum.

OT: Is anybody travelling to Bangalore this weekend? I have a very little package to be transported.
Old 20th January 2013, 07:36   #1445
BHPian

Just realised that there is "NO" Entry ramp or Exit ramp from the ORR for Osman Sagar Road aka Gandipet - Langar Houz Road.

Traveloholic and Others, please give me a detailed direction guide on how to reach from Gachibowli Flyover Junction to (1) Gandipet and (2) Taramati Baradari?

Thanks in advance.
Old 20th January 2013, 19:05   #1446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Just realised that there is "NO" Entry ramp or Exit ramp from the ORR for Osman Sagar Road aka Gandipet - Langar Houz Road.

Traveloholic and Others, please give me a detailed direction guide on how to reach from Gachibowli Flyover Junction to (1) Gandipet and (2) Taramati Baradari?

Thanks in advance.
Exit ORR at Financial District exit ramp. From the circle take the ORR service road which goes parallel to ORR. You will reach Gandipet- Langar Houz road. From this circle, Taramati Baradari is towards the left and Gandipet lake is towards the right.
Old 20th January 2013, 22:00   #1447
Senior - BHPian

@rknair has given the correct explanation, Bajaj Sa'ab. You need to take the first exit from Gachibowli (just before the toll gates) and proceed on the lines explained above.

You get the privelege of a toll-free drive. The service road is also quite good, but it is two-way.
Old 21st January 2013, 15:53   #1448
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rknair View Post
From the circle take the ORR service road which goes parallel to ORR.
To make things more clear, once you exit from ORR and reach this round about, you have to take the second road. There is a board which says Narsingi Kokapet on this road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
You get the privelege of a toll-free drive. The service road is also quite good, but it is two-way.
Yes, this way is completely toll free
Old 6th February 2013, 12:26   #1449
BHPian

Surprised to see no rants and raves by anyone till now for Hyderabad Traffic Police having closed down the Minister Road & S P Road Junction from today to facilitate metro pillars construction.

All those coming from Minister Road and wanting to go towards Uppal need to turn left and go till old airport to take a U-turn below the flyover. Well, it was like this before also so there is no change.

All those wanting to turn right from Begumpet side on S P Road towards Minister Road can now NOT take a turn and instead need to continue straight and take U-turn below the Paradise flyover. This is new and should have resulted in many people using various lanes at P G Road, Sindhi Colony, etc. which would certainly create grid locks in the colonies there.

Waiting to hear the travails of those who may have used these stretches. Others can get ready for more such restrictions over the next 2-3 years.
Old 6th February 2013, 12:50   #1450
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice update

But, this is not surprising as the Metrol Rail work is picking up momentum in a fast pace and its for the overall good of all hydeez that we accomodate these minor hiccups for a better hyderabad tomorow

Quote:
Waiting to hear the travails of those who may have used these stretches. Others can get ready for more such restrictions over the next 2-3 years.
Having said above, i am mentally prepared for these congestions and will avoid using such stretches unless there is a compelling reason for me to.
Old 6th February 2013, 13:04   #1451
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Nice update

But, this is not surprising as the Metrol Rail work is picking up momentum in a fast pace and its for the overall good of all hydeez that we accomodate these minor hiccups for a better hyderabad tomorow

Having said above, i am mentally prepared for these congestions and will avoid using such stretches unless there is a compelling reason for me to.

+1 to that. I am a daily commuter from Begumpet towards Uppal and I can see work going on at a very fast pace. There was also news about Metro rail officials literally walking from Begumpet to Sec'Bad station to identify bottlenecks and speeding up land acquisition activites. Hope they are successful in clearing all those bottlenecks and when its done I am sure that the flow will ease. News of the Railways clearing most of the metro crossing over Railway lines is another positive move to speed up works.
Old 7th February 2013, 11:05   #1452
BHPian

Advisory for all those travelling or planning to travel from Secunderabad side to Greenlands side :

A Hydrochloric Acid laden tanker has climbed the central median of the Greenland Ameerpet Road in the night exactly opposite Hotel Green Park, Mallik Wines, Country Oven Bakery.

Two cranes have been deployed to pick up the tanker and put it back on the road but the effort was abandoned due to risk of tanker tilting and acid spilling onto the road.

Due to this, traffic is jammed right after Taj Vivanta upto Greenland Junction near Lifestyle affecting movement towards Ameerpet, S R Nagar, Balkampet, etc. and also towards Punjagutta, Banjara Hills, etc. The situation should become okay by lunch time.

Hyderabad: Updates on traffic - diversions, road expansions, alternate routes, etc.-20130207_1023.jpg
Old 7th February 2013, 15:03   #1453
BHPian

Holy!!! I was there at Green Park until 2am last night for the midnight buffet and this wasnt there until that time. Must have happened after that.
Old 7th February 2013, 22:35   #1454
Senior - BHPian

My daughter drove to Wesley College from Somajiguda today and did not face any hurdle. She left at 840 am and returned at 1245 pm.

I guess she was lucky.
Old 8th February 2013, 07:39   #1455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
My daughter drove to Wesley College from Somajiguda today and did not face any hurdle. She left at 840 am and returned at 1245 pm.

I guess she was lucky.
She was going in the opposite direction in the morning so would not have faced the jam.

The police had abandoned the effort to remove the tanker at around 11:15 and decided to clear the peak hour traffic first.

Most Viewed