Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2013, 11:52   #1471
BHPian

Re: Hyderabad: Updates on traffic - diversions, road expansions, alternate routes, et

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Auchan (Spar) in Oasis Centre at Begumpet has made the parking charges refundable.
Yepp! I had started walking down to Auchan/Spar (from near Yashoda hospital .. some gud for personal fitness , though it would get cumbersome if more stuff was required). Couple of days back their security person mentioned this, I guess it started some time this week, wasn't there previous week. Good to have the option.
Old 18th February 2013, 10:23   #1472
BHPian

Re: Hyderabad: Updates on traffic - diversions, road expansions, alternate routes, et

I sincerely regret breaking this sad news to our fellow Hydeez on a monday morning. The toll rates on the ORR are going to increase from the next financial year. More information on this link.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/18549794.cms
Old 18th February 2013, 11:06   #1473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
I had started walking down to Auchan/Spar (from near Yashoda hospital
Wow, we are practically neighbours. I have no choice but to cross Yashoda to reach my home due to the divider of Raj Bhawan Road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
I sincerely regret breaking this sad news to our fellow Hydeez on a monday morning. The toll rates on the ORR are going to increase from the next financial year.
The increase will be miniscule and even if 20/- becomes 30/-, it is still worth it for all the pros like the convenience and VFM.
Old 18th February 2013, 11:10   #1474
BHPian

Tolls help prevent freeloaders from using it and having "fun" in their free time. Do they still allow two wheelers on the ORR?

Btw, sorry to hijack this thread, but does anyone here know of a nice motorcycle helmet store either in and around madhapur or around secunderabad? I really do not feel like venturing into Abids.
Old 18th February 2013, 11:20   #1475
BHPian

Quote:
The increase will be miniscule and even if 20/- becomes 30/-, it is still worth it for all the pros like the convenience and VFM.
But seems the price revision will happen every financial year. That is the real cause of concern. I thought contractors are allowed to collect a fixed price to be collected on tolls. I didn't expect it to be revised once in a while like fuel prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Do they still allow two wheelers on the ORR?
Nope. Two wheelers are not allowed on the ORR. It is being enforced strictly especially after the toll booths have become operational.
racer_ash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 11:52   #1476
Team-BHP Support

If traffic and parking is an hassle check out http://www.bigbasket.com/

The quality is on par with Ratnadeep and pricing for most items is at Spar/ Auchaan levels.

I have started using the service and am quite happy with it.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 12:45   #1477
BHPian

Quote:
Auchan (Spar) in Oasis Centre at Begumpet has made the parking charges refundable.

You pay 20/- at entry. After finishng your shopping at Auchan, get your parking ticket stamped by the billing counter / security guard while exiting Auchan and give the stamped ticket to the parking attendant at the exit gate of the parking lot to get back your 20/-.
So is the waiver at BigBazaar in Ameerpet. Saw it last month (IIRC) when I was there to watch a movie in BIG CINEMAS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Btw, sorry to hijack this thread, but does anyone here know of a nice motorcycle helmet store either in and around madhapur or around secunderabad? I really do not feel like venturing into Abids.
Helmet World. A lil overpriced though, bargain hard.

http://www.justdial.com/Hyderabad/He...PP004488_BZDET

The shop is at the place where RP road and MG road merge (Boats Club cross roads) to form a road which leads to tank bund.

Last edited by Farukh : 18th February 2013 at 12:53.
Farukh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 16:50   #1478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farukh View Post
Helmet World. A lil overpriced though, bargain hard.

http://www.justdial.com/Hyderabad/He...PP004488_BZDET

The shop is at the place where RP road and MG road merge (Boats Club cross roads) to form a road which leads to tank bund.
Second Farukh's suggestion.The place has a very good collection-yes overpriced but then whoever has heard of MRPs on helmets!The other option is on MG Road somewhere opposite KFC,if you just walk along you would see a couple of shops.Also on SD Road near Minerva Grand there were a couple of shops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I have started using the service and am quite happy with it.
Thanks for this,I see one of those pick up trucks of BB parked next to my house every day.

Quote:
But seems the price revision will happen every financial year. That is the real cause of concern. I thought contractors are allowed to collect a fixed price to be collected on tolls
Toll contractors all over the country are allowed to revise their toll rates annually based on the inflation in the country-its a part of the agreement.Look at the toll rates on the National Highways,they are beyond salvage and things almost reached a flash point on NH3 with Anna Hazare exhorting people not to pay tolls if roads are bad.

OT:Next time you have a problem with the tolled roads or the toll collection agent,ask for the complaint book at the next toll gate and record your grievance-it works.
Old 18th February 2013, 19:33   #1479
BHPian

Quote:
The toll rates on the ORR are going to increase from the next financial year. [/url]
Last Saturday, I was going to pickup few relatives from the airport and was in an exploratory mood. Instead of taking the ORR from Gachibowli to Shamshabad, I decided to try the service road which goes almost parallel to ORR. The road quality is excellent in most of the parts and you can go easily in 70 kmph. The following points would be useful for those who want to try out.
  1. Enter the ORR from Gachibowli and exit at Financial District ramp before the toll gates start. From the circle follow the road which is parallel to the ORR.
  2. The road is two lane with traffic allowed in both directions, so take care while overtaking. But usually it is less crowded in most stretches.
  3. They have installed jaw-breaking series of speed breakers near every intersection on this road. People who have travelled through Mahbubnagar - Raichur - Gangawati road would know what I am talking about.
  4. After APPA Junction, towards Rajendra Nagar Road, the road crosses under the ORR and then goes parallel to ORR from the right side. You cross Musi river immediately after this.
  5. After crossing Musi you reach Rajendra Nagar Road, where you need to take a right towards Himayat Sagar Lake.
  6. After reaching Himayat Sagar Lake, take left and go along the banks of Himayat Sagar. This is a short stretch where the road quality is not good but still have enough width for two vehicles to comfortably pass.
  7. Then cross under the ORR again and go to the left side of ORR.
  8. After continuing further, you reach Rallagada intersection, where you see a board which says Shamshabad to your left. Take a right there and go under the ORR again and travel parallel to ORR from its right. This step is very important since the road continues in the same quality further ahead and I learned the hard way that it suddenly ends.
  9. You reach right next to the ORR entry ramp at NH7. Take a U-turn and join NH-7 and then go further ahead and enter the Airport Ramp.

There is no toll all along this route and you can cover the distance at decent speeds. For bikers, this would be the best route to take since bikes are not allowed on ORR. I would always prefer ORR, since this cannot compare the pure pleasure of driving in the smooth tarmac of ORR.

Last edited by rknair : 18th February 2013 at 19:34.
rknair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2013, 06:28   #1480
BHPian

This is the route for bikes (toll free) wanting to travel between Gachibowli and Shamshabad (Airport / Bangalore Highway) parallel to the ORR and also for cars not wanting to pay the ORR toll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rknair View Post
Last Saturday, I was going to pickup few relatives from the airport and was in an exploratory mood. Instead of taking the ORR from Gachibowli to Shamshabad, I decided to try the service road which goes almost parallel to ORR. The road quality is excellent in most of the parts and you can go easily in 70 kmph.

There is no toll all along this route and you can cover the distance at decent speeds. For bikers, this would be the best route to take since bikes are not allowed on ORR. I would always prefer ORR, since this cannot compare the pure pleasure of driving in the smooth tarmac of ORR.
Thanks R K Nair. Using your pointwise directions below, I have inserted Placemarks A to M which are also marked on the map :

Enter the ORR from Gachibowli (A) and exit at Financial District ramp (B) before the toll gates start.

From the circle (C) follow the road which is parallel to the ORR.

After APPA Junction (E), the road crosses under the ORR (F) and then goes parallel to ORR from the right side. You cross Musi river immediately after this.

After crossing Musi you reach Rajendra Nagar Road (G), where you need to take a right towards Himayat Sagar Lake.

After reaching Himayat Sagar Lake (H), take left and go along the banks of Himayat Sagar. This is a short stretch (H to I) where the road quality is not good but still have enough width for two vehicles to comfortably pass.

Then cross under the ORR again (I) and go to the left side of ORR (J).

After continuing further, you reach Rallagada intersection, where you see a board which says Shamshabad to your left. Take a right there (K) and go under the ORR again and travel (L) parallel to ORR from its right. This step is very important since the road continues in the same quality further ahead and I learned the hard way that it suddenly ends.

You reach right next to the ORR entry ramp at NH7 (M).

On the Map : https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=U...=12&sz=18&z=12
hyd_traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2013, 11:57   #1481
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farukh View Post
So is the waiver at BigBazaar in Ameerpet. Saw it last month (IIRC) when I was there to watch a movie in BIG CINEMAS.
BB Ameerpet used to adjust the parking charges since its inception itself. For them the idea of parking charges was understandable because being at such a location invariably there used to be loads of outside vehicles parked over there and it was becoming difficult to get parking when genuine BB/BigC customers come over. However BigC box office doesn't adjust the coupon (at least till I have been last), though you could always hop on to FoodBazaar for a quick pick up of some juice/eatable/etc.
Old 19th February 2013, 12:18   #1482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
However BigC box office doesn't adjust the coupon (at least till I have been last), though you could always hop on to FoodBazaar for a quick pick up of some juice/eatable/etc.
Exactly. No refund for movie goers.
Old 21st February 2013, 20:36   #1483
BHPian

Guys, there has been serial blasts in Hyderabad. Somewhere near dilsukh nagar area as shown in TV. Also near some theatre.
Hope for less casualties and everyone is safe.

Check for your road home.

May the deceased R.I.P. :(
Old 21st February 2013, 20:55   #1484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
Guys, there has been serial blasts in Hyderabad. Somewhere near dilsukh nagar area as shown in TV. Also near some theatre.
Hope for less casualties and everyone is safe.

Check for your road home.

May the deceased R.I.P. :(

15 feared dead.May the deceased R.I.P

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/s...g/18612887.cms
Old 3rd March 2013, 10:02   #1485
BHPian

Highway Bandh aka Rasta Roko of Bangalore Hyderabad Highway and also blockade of Hyderabad Airport has been planned for 21st March 2013 and announced as per a news item in the news paper today. More about it at : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3055149

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks