Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2013, 16:21   #1591
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyderabad: Updates on traffic - diversions, road expansions, alternate routes, et

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Today morning, it took me 40 minutes from my home (Himayathnagar) to Lakdikapul via. Hyderguda as it was completely bumper to bumper due to incomplete Ganesh Visarjan yesterday due to heavy rains and people continue the process of Visarjan that is expected to go on even till late evening today.

For a momemnt, I thought of turning back and WFH but, had some important meetings which made me strike out that idea.
That is still better than the approximately 1.5 hours I spent to get from Cyber Gateway to Quality Inn hotel yesterday.
Old 19th September 2013, 19:01   #1592
BHPian

Re: Hyderabad: Updates on traffic - diversions, road expansions, alternate routes, et

Well, if you guys are having nightmares in your parts of the city, Secunderabad is competing too. The stretch starting from Parade Grounds circle up until Mettuguda X roads is in extremely bad shape due to total lack of maintenance after rains. Add to that Metro rail construction from Alugadda Baavi until Mettuguda X Roads which has reduced the road to a narrow street and the rest of the road has been taken over by potholes and mud. This entire stretch of barely 3-4km could take you between 30-40min depending on if it rains, if you're in car or on 2 wheels or if someone sneezes.

If you bring your car here, it'll be battered and will be rendered fit for the scrapyard. Choose alternate routes.

Seriously, does the govt. expect us to keep buying new cars just so they can be totaled on our non-existent roads? I'm so glad I sold my car away, I'm not paying for repairs. The motorcycle is capable of tolerating a lot more crap from GHMC than any of our sensitive cars.

Very frustrated.
Old 20th September 2013, 10:51   #1593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
That is still better than the approximately 1.5 hours I spent to get from Cyber Gateway to Quality Inn hotel yesterday.
I was there too. Reached Cyber Towers, Hitec Jn. at around 6 and then took almost an hour to reach my office which is less than a km away behind Cyber Pearl.

Bblost,

All the more reason to bring out your cycle again.
Old 20th September 2013, 10:53   #1594
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
I was there too. Reached Cyber Towers, Hitec Jn. at around 6 and then took almost an hour to reach my office which is less than a km away behind Cyber Pearl.

Bblost,

All the more reason to bring out your cycle again.
Its the damn rain and a busted rubber washer that is not letting take her out.

Need to get it fixed and I can't risk getting the hub compromised with water.

Also cleaning a cycle after riding on wet roads is a pain. Its not like a car that you can just ignore.
Old 20th September 2013, 11:29   #1595
Senior - BHPian

For some reason, the entrance to DC Road was chock-a-bloc this morning at 945 am. Took 10 extra minutes to go upto Nectar Gardens. I saw a couple of traffic cops too.

Meanwhile, I think it is time we compiled a list of places prone to water-logging. Might help us in avoiding certain routes amid heavy rains.

I remember we'd posted somewhere a few years back, but cannot dig it out now. Here is the list I am aware of pertaining to Central Hyderabad:
  1. Raj Bhavan Road while moving from Khairatabad to Somajiguda Circle: Opp Lake View Guest House, and opp Villa Marie College lane.
  2. The lowest part of the stretch from VW Jn to Rd # 12 Jn on the road from Film nagar towards Cancer Hospital.
  3. Portion of lane opp Deccan Hospital in the lane adjacent to Yashoda Hospital, Somajiguda.
  4. CM's Camp Office to The Square Hotel at Paryatak Bhavan.
  5. Opp Model House on the Khairatabad to Panjagutta highway.
Keep adding, folks!

Last edited by vnabhi : 20th September 2013 at 11:30.
Old 21st September 2013, 07:41   #1596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Meanwhile, I think it is time we compiled a list of places prone to water-logging. Might help us in avoiding certain routes amid heavy rains.

CM's Camp Office to The Square Hotel at Paryatak Bhavan.
Good idea. Will be really helpful for all.

By the way, The Square Hotel at Paryatak Bhavan has closed down a month or so back.

It will reopen as a venture of AP Tourism under the name of Haritha Hotel soon (or maybe it has already opened as I did see some activity that side a few days back).
Old 21st September 2013, 10:09   #1597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Good idea. Will be really helpful for all.

By the way, The Square Hotel at Paryatak Bhavan has closed down a month or so back.

It will reopen as a venture of AP Tourism under the name of Haritha Hotel soon (or maybe it has already opened as I did see some activity that side a few days back).
Thanks for the update. What about updates to the list of water-logging points?

I'm told some stretches near Whitefield are flood-prone, and also some areas on the Tolichowki-Mehdipatnam stretch.

People who use those routes are requested to chip in.
Old 23rd September 2013, 11:56   #1598
Team-BHP Support

Hyderabad ORR Service road between Narsingi and Gachibowli.

They have laid new speed breakers at a left turn. There are like 10+ small speed breakers on either side of the turning. They are unmarked.
On one side of the road is a platform and the other side is a 15 feet drop.

There is no protective wall or barrier. Anyone coming late at night may swerve to the left on seeing these speed breakers and get killed. Be careful.

Exact Location: https://www.google.com/maps?ll=17.40...22724&t=h&z=16
Old 23rd September 2013, 13:30   #1599
BHPian

Quote:
They have laid new speed breakers at a left turn. There are like 10+ small speed breakers on either side of the turning.
These Tiny Bumps are called as Rumblers and are used to ensure that the speed is reduced for sure. A single Speed Breaker might not be a good idea on these roads as people tend to drive at higher speeds, given the ORR Tag attached to these Service Roads. If the person driving it does not pay much attention to the single speed breaker and zips on the same speed, there are good amount of chances of the person losing the control on the steering and ramming into the vehicles coming from the opposite side. A Series of Rumblers would not risk the other persons and also give the insane driver some time to correct himself.

Quote:
They are unmarked.
I would not blame them as the ORR Work is still WIP and would take time before everything is properly marked.

Quote:
There is no protective wall or barrier. Anyone coming late at night may swerve to the left on seeing these speed breakers and get killed. Be careful.
Only an insane person would swerve on seeing these speed breakers to avoid them. These rumblers make much sense on these stretches as these turn into Drag Racing Tracks for Fools and Cab Drivers. Have you used the APPA Junction - Narsingi ORR Service Road, these too have rumblers, which are still unmarked. They were put into use about 1 year ago.

Moreover, speaking about safety part of ORR Service Roads, the bend near the Nanakramguda exit of the ORR Service road is far more dangerous due to the sweeping curve a person has to take. An error of Judgement would leave the person hurtling on the ORR Entrance Road. Have never seen it happen as people tend to be more saner on these roads these days.
traveloholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2013, 20:18   #1600
Senior - BHPian

I agree with travelholic on the need to have rumblers on the service roads. I've seen several wannabe James Hunts on the service road from Narsingi to Gachibowli, and am happy with the rumblers being installed on that stretch.

As already mentioned, they are already in place in many other service roads adjoining the ORR.
Old 30th September 2013, 11:51   #1601
Team-BHP Support

Another set of rumblers () are coming up near a turning close to APPA Junction as well.

Again no paint on them.

Saw a overturned dumper truck between Narsingi and APPA as I cycled to office today.

To understand why someone might run off the road while encountering unmarked rumblers on this road, you need to watch the slow motion comedy called "Speeding Tailgators". As a cyclist I see the all familiar panic braking that happens when the vehicle in front slams the brakes and the one behind ends up banging the bumper.

Just take a look at the broken glass pieces around these rumblers.

Given that most goods vehicles dont have functioning tail lights and the absence of street lights, I repeat this is a potential accident waiting to happen.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 14:46   #1602
PVS
BHPian

Quote:
For some reason, the entrance to DC Road was chock-a-bloc this morning at 945 am. Took 10 extra minutes to go upto Nectar Gardens. I saw a couple of traffic cops too.

I remember we'd posted somewhere a few years back, but cannot dig it out now. Here is the list I am aware of pertaining to Central Hyderabad:
  1. Raj Bhavan Road while moving from Khairatabad to Somajiguda Circle: Opp Lake View Guest House, and opp Villa Marie College lane.
  2. The lowest part of the stretch from VW Jn to Rd # 12 Jn on the road from Film nagar towards Cancer Hospital.
  3. Portion of lane opp Deccan Hospital in the lane adjacent to Yashoda Hospital, Somajiguda.
Keep adding, folks!
6) While coming from Gachibowli, and going to Mehdipatnam, on the Old Bombay road(Shaikpet Nala Road as per Google Maps)there is a tremendous amount of water logging near Galaxy theatre. Note that this is only in one direction - while going towards Gachibowli, its fine.
PVS is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 20:32   #1603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Keep adding, folks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVS View Post
6) While coming from Gachibowli, and going to Mehdipatnam, on the Old Bombay road(Shaikpet Nala Road as per Google Maps)there is a tremendous amount of water logging near Galaxy theatre. Note that this is only in one direction - while going towards Gachibowli, its fine.
Thanks PVS. I discovered another spot today:

7. Opp BP petrol bunk on the road from Cyber Towers to Hitec Station flyover. The left lane is heavily water-logged, forcing people to hug the divider.
Old 10th October 2013, 16:31   #1604
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday started from Gachibowli at 5:45pm where there no hint of any rain but, heard of massive rains on other side of town. Reached Mehdipatnam which is around 18kms away in my usual 20 mins or so.

Crossed the hand signal and turned right towards Masab Tank and when under the PVNR expressway got caught in the maddest jam of my life. I must have covered 500 meters in one complete hour with buses, cars, 2 wheelers criss crossing from all over.

After spending 1 hour and moving 500 meters made me take a decision, i turned right towards Hotel Prince (famous for Chicken Biryani) and then turned left towards Vijay Nagar Colony then onwards to Bazarghat and then Nampally Railway station and then turned left towards Public Garden, Hyderguda and then Himayathnagar

I actually went ahead of my destination and came back to avoid the traffic and that was one of the most sensible decisions that i ever took. That route was freely moving even if there was traffic and finally reached home at 8:00pm

2:15 mins to cover 26kms is the longest I spent in traffic in my Cruze
This made me think that I need one small car to tackle such situations as the size of Cruze is seriously an impediment as the moment you shift gear and move ahead someone would squeeze into the gap before you.

P.S : Thoughts of Automatic or 2-wheeler never came to mind. AT because i dont like it at all. 2-Wheeler? I would rather be in comfort of my car than be stuck on a 2-wheeler in such horrendous traffic

Lets see if any other mother of all jams occurs in future that will beat the 2:15 Hours that I recorded till date.
Old 10th October 2013, 16:46   #1605
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
P.S : Thoughts of Automatic or 2-wheeler never came to mind. AT because i dont like it at all. 2-Wheeler? I would rather be in comfort of my car than be stuck on a 2-wheeler in such horrendous traffic

Lets see if any other mother of all jams occurs in future that will beat the 2:15 Hours that I recorded till date.
I would say a two wheeler. When I get stuck in such jams I feel to be on my Karizma than the Ritz. Faster and squeeable in jams. At least the car wont be scratched or rubbed by the traffic and careless auto drivers.

In my view a hatchback or a sedan is no difference.

Anurag.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks