Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2013, 17:51   #1606
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyderabad: Updates on traffic - diversions, road expansions, alternate routes, et

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I would say a two wheeler. When I get stuck in such jams I feel to be on my Karizma than the Ritz. Faster and squeeable in jams. At least the car wont be scratched or rubbed by the traffic and careless auto drivers.
Would you take this stance even if its was drizzling heavily? Being stuck in a traffic on a motorbike is more of a nightmare than being stuck in a car and more so if its raining and not to add carrying your office bags etc, IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
In my view a hatchback or a sedan is no difference.
Again, In my opinion a small hatchback like a beat, micra, alto or maybe even a ritz would help in maneavouring against the Cruze which as you may know is a long car and quite wide too.
Old 10th October 2013, 17:55   #1607
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Would you take this stance even if its was drizzling heavily? Being stuck in a traffic on a motorbike is more of a nightmare than being stuck in a car and more so if its raining and not to add carrying your office bags etc, IMO
I would prefer a two wheeler always. If carrying a laptop or some such then may be a car but else two wheeler all the way.

Anurag.
Old 10th October 2013, 22:38   #1608
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyderabad: Updates on traffic - diversions, road expansions, alternate routes, et

Quote:
2:15 mins to cover 26kms is the longest I spent in traffic in my Cruze

Lets see if any other mother of all jams occurs in future that will beat the 2:15 Hours that I recorded till date.
2:15 for you? It was 3 hours for me. I left office at 5 pm and reached home at 8 pm. Normally it takes me 35 minutes.

Yesterday was bloody painful. I took impromptu decisions and changed my route 3 times, but on all occasions went from bad to worse.

The most painful part was the 2 km stretch from Raj Bhavan to home---it is actually 1 km, but an abominable divider has doubled the distance. Apart from rain and water-logging, a small fire accident opp the Shell bunk had added fuel to the fire.

And I spent a good part of one hour hardly 500 meters from home, but on the wrong side of the divider.

I got partial respite by gate-crashing into Hyd_traveller's house for half an hour.

The most challenging part was crawling 10 feet every 10 seconds, just to ensure that the gap between my car and the one in front is not knocked off by a wily auto or 2-wheeler. I might have used the clutch nearly 5000 times in 3 hours. My left knee was protesting, moreso due to the heavy clutch of the Fiesta.

I'm happy that such incidents are very rare, else I'd seriously think of an automatic car.
Old 11th October 2013, 11:35   #1609
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I might have used the clutch nearly 5000 times in 3 hours. My left knee was protesting, moreso due to the heavy clutch of the Fiesta. I'm happy that such incidents are very rare, else I'd seriously think of an automatic car.
Fiesta P has a heavy clutch? What should I say about the Cruze then which is infamous for a heavy clutch?

Btw, I make sure I dont use clutch much and move from 1st gear to neutral and use hand brake when in neutral to minimize the clutch usage

Whatever be the reason, AT is last resort for myself but, maybe will buy one for wifey ( if she shows interest to drive a car which at the moment itself seems challenging)
Old 11th October 2013, 11:42   #1610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fiesta P has a heavy clutch? What should I say about the Cruze then which is infamous for a heavy clutch?

Btw, I make sure I dont use clutch much and move from 1st gear to neutral and use hand brake when in neutral to minimize the clutch usage
Yes, the clutch is heavier than the Figo's or the WagonR's. I too resort to your driving style of gliding in neutral, but in Wednesday's scenario, that did not work. On the few times I tried it, the closely-contested gap between my car and the one in front increased, and a diabolical auto or a biker swayed into the gap.
Old 15th October 2013, 13:01   #1611
Team-BHP Support

I have to drive from APPA Junction to a house close to Dhola ri-Dhani (Aparna Palm Meadows).
The route via Mehdipatnam and Bowenpally is 37 kms.

The alternate is to take the ORR. (66 kms)
Google maps suggest I take Exit 5 and drive down the approximately 15 kms on the Gundla Pochampally Village Road. How is this road?

Is the exit on the ORR into AH43 (NH7) complete.
Old 15th October 2013, 13:42   #1612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I have to drive from APPA Junction to a house close to Dhola ri-Dhani (Aparna Palm Meadows).
The route via Mehdipatnam and Bowenpally is 37 kms.

The alternate is to take the ORR. (66 kms)
Google maps suggest I take Exit 5 and drive down the approximately 15 kms on the Gundla Pochampally Village Road. How is this road?

Is the exit on the ORR into AH43 (NH7) complete.
The road is not exactly complete onto NH7.The orr ends at a point and then for a distance of approximately 2-3 kms you are on a small acess road till you connect to Nh 7. From there take a right and you are on NH7. After you climb down the overbridge on NH7 there is a small undivided road portion take a right via the undivided portion and get onto the service road and the road leads to Gundlampochampally. As soon as you get onto the service road a few metres down the road you would see Aparna gate to your left

Last edited by bblost : 15th October 2013 at 14:06. Reason: Corrected a couple of spelling mistakes. Thanks.
Old 15th October 2013, 13:56   #1613
BHPian

Quote:
Whatever be the reason, AT is last resort for myself
well well ,this coming from someone who did the official review of the polo gt tsi and inspired many like me to buy one ,quite an anti climax
Old 15th October 2013, 16:07   #1614
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
well well ,this coming from someone who did the official review of the polo gt tsi and inspired many like me to buy one ,quite an anti climax
GT TSI is a different animal and would love to own it and iam sure it will solve the traffic nightmares as well.

However, its way too expensive alternative for a manual-> AT conversion

Btw, today the roads seems quite empty, reached office in about 45 mins. People are still in the holiday mindset..eh?

Road coming from the Kokapet towards Financial District is blocked from many days so taking a different route to reach the Gachibowli FD
Old 16th October 2013, 11:54   #1615
BHPian

Guys. A startup from Bangalore have added video maps and direction service for Hyderabad. Check out this website www.vidteq.com. As on date they provide video maps in the three south Indian cities of Hyderabad, Bangalore and Chennai.

Though the apparent date fo the imagery is not upto date (for eg: Metro works are not visible on the SP road videos), I found that it is a pretty good start. Also most parts of the city are covered by them.
racer_ash is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 11:29   #1616
Team-BHP Support

Finally the police wakes up:
http://www.deccanchronicle.com/13101...uter-ring-road

I hope they enforce maximum and minimum speed limits.
There is nothing more scary than a slow moving (<40 kmph) vehicle in the middle lanes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post

Though the apparent date fo the imagery is not upto date (for eg: Metro works are not visible on the SP road videos), I found that it is a pretty good start. Also most parts of the city are covered by them.
But its a good idea albeit streaming is taking forever.
I don't understand why they want to waste precious bandwidth with stupid music.

Last edited by bblost : 22nd October 2013 at 11:36.
Old 26th October 2013, 11:42   #1617
BHPian

Quote:
I hope they enforce maximum and minimum speed limits.
There is nothing more scary than a slow moving (<40 kmph) vehicle in the middle lanes.
You are right but i think their clocks are skewed. i once got a speed of 16 kmph when i was definitely maintaining an average more than 80. They will have to fix that too.
Old 26th October 2013, 13:21   #1618
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLordOfSith View Post
You are right but i think their clocks are skewed. i once got a speed of 16 kmph when i was definitely maintaining an average more than 80. They will have to fix that too.
I once got a 180 kmph on the toll ticket.

I don't think this is way they will go about to find speed limit violators.
From the article:

Quote:
Five well-equipped vans, costing more than Rs 10 lakh each, will be deployed on the ORR for patrolling. Five sub-inspectors and 10 police constables of the Cyberabad law and order department and a few contract employees will patrol the ORR 24X7 throughout the year, said officials.
Old 26th October 2013, 13:52   #1619
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLordOfSith View Post
Quote:
I once got a 180 kmph on the toll ticket.

I don't think this is way they will go about to find speed limit violators.
From the article:
There may be instances but I disagree partially here because I have been using the ORR from Exit-3 (Patancheru) to Exit-6 (Medchal) from December 2012 and the toll booth have been functional on this stretch from the past two months. The distance between the two plaza's is 27.9 kms.

I maintain the car speeds between 100-110 kmph and when I get the slip after paying the money the "Speed" displayed is 94-96 kmph. So I don't think there is a problem with the monitoring.

The other issue of getting 16 kmph while maintaining 80 kmph average would be the waiting time you are having to do before paying the money and getting the exit slip. If the queue is long to the counters the Average speed indicated would go down in spite maintaining a good 80-90 kmph throughout. Hope you get my point.

Anurag.
Old 26th October 2013, 14:39   #1620
BHPian

Quote:
I hope they enforce maximum and minimum speed limits. There is nothing more scary than a slow moving (<40 kmph) vehicle in the middle lanes.
Slow moving vehicles by themselves are not a nuisance, but slow moving vehicles overtaking other slow moving vehicles are what cause traffic jams. The most frightening of the lot is a speeding maniac (>160 kmph) charging from the rear at which point one wouldn't know whether to change lanes and give way or stay put, especially considering that using the indicators is meaningless because different people interpret them differently (to the sensible people, indicating left means, "I'm going left", whereas to the others it means, "Feel free to overtake me from the left").

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks