Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2010, 16:27   #16
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about the incident F50.

Meru should ideally take action against such errant drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Meru can look at fitting a speed limit sensor with a beep, like in Dubai. Everytime a dubai cab exceeds the speed limit, the beep reminds him to come back to under the limit. If you violate it many times, he will have to bear the penalty from his salary.
This feature is already there in the Meru cabs in Bangalore i guess.

One driver who was similar to the driver JVH has mentioned in the Bangalore traffic thread was a very good driver following all the rules by the book.

He had limited his speed to 80 and was not crossing beyond that on the way to the airport. I intentionally asked him why he is sticking to that speed where as others are ripping like crazy. He informed that they have a speed limit sensor and it starts beeping till he comes back to the set speed of 80. He too seemed to be very cultured and was very good at driving. This was an Indigo Marina.
Old 22nd February 2010, 16:39   #17
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Don't intend to rub it in F50. But why chase a moron and then cry foul? My first driving guru was my brother. His only teaching is what I practice while both driving as well as in life. That is - Never philosophise with a truck driver.
Not to demean truckers. Some of them are amazing people.
But then I'd not chase a moron who doesn't own the vehicle he drives. I'd not chase anyone, unless I'm driving a tank.
Hope I've not offended you. Sometimes it's easier to ignore those low lives.
Old 22nd February 2010, 16:45   #18
kdp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Meru cabs in Delhi have such a speed sensor, fixed at 80kmph. The driver demonstrated it to me. There is a warning voice beep, stating you are overspeeding. If this alert comes more than 5 times a day the driver gets docked and loses some money in fines
So do the bangalore Meru cabs. But, no speed sensor can detect if you are driving rashly! Also 80km/h may seem "underkill" for some parts of the eastern express highway, while in Dadar, even 50km/h would be tantamount to "speeding", given the bumper to bumper traffic!

the solution, if any, would be to derive the speed limit from the GPS position and the time of day - 45km/h @ dadar @ 6pm? - you've speeding! 80km/h on EE highway @ 2.30pm? - that's cool! AFAIk, all meru cabs are gps equipped to tell the control room their location (At least when the service was launched, thats what the pr stuff said.

of course why would meru spend money developing such a software unless an uproar was created about this?
Old 22nd February 2010, 16:48   #19
BHPian

Year old thread guys.....relatively in the distant past....
Old 22nd February 2010, 17:45   #20
Senior - BHPian

These cab drivers are getting more and more reckless and even worse is if you try to call and report them in their office jocks just put the phone down. I tried reporting a meru car and the lady just put the phone down the moment I told her that a particular car is not being driven well and has just broken my orvm and sped off.
Old 2nd March 2010, 21:41   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Meru cabs in Delhi have such a speed sensor, fixed at 80kmph. The driver demonstrated it to me. There is a warning voice beep, stating you are overspeeding. If this alert comes more than 5 times a day the driver gets docked and loses some money in fines
I am sure the Meru guys in Mumbai must have tampered with the settings so no audible beeps hence no fines. The only voice your would be hearing when the meru guy is driving is a lot of expletives from other car drivers.
The other day I had hired a Meru from Thane to drop off at Airport and the questions which he asked was funny.
Meru: Saab Fast chalavoo ki Slow
Me: Normal speed rako
Meru: Saab Normal speed matlab 80 na
Me: #%$%^&
Me: Theda kyun baitha hai
Meru: Saab Pehle Rickshaw chalata tha.

I was like
Old 2nd March 2010, 22:05   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I am sure the Meru guys in Mumbai must have tampered with the settings so no audible beeps hence no fines. The only voice your would be hearing when the meru guy is driving is a lot of expletives from other car drivers.
The other day I had hired a Meru from Thane to drop off at Airport and the questions which he asked was funny.
Meru: Saab Fast chalavoo ki Slow
Me: Normal speed rako
Meru: Saab Normal speed matlab 80 na
Me: #%$%^&
Me: Theda kyun baitha hai
Meru: Saab Pehle Rickshaw chalata tha.

I was like
80 is normal speed for a guy who was driving an Auto rickshaw These guys prove all laws and rules wrong.
Old 3rd March 2010, 03:44   #23
Senior - BHPian

Thats funny! I've always wondered why autodrivers sit that way, and for all practial purposes one would think that such habits would be dropped when moving into a car (from an auto). Somethings don't change, do they?
Atleast the guy was kind enough to ask you what 'mode' you wanted- Fast/ Slow. A relative almost had a heart attack when he got to Mumbai, and a cab driver took him all over town as if Armageddon was on his tail. Swerving in and out of traffic, he'd be inches from other vehicles.Gave my relative a big scare!
Old 3rd March 2010, 11:09   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
Does that mean I can slap a reckless Meru driver and run away in 82KMPH?
Do Banga'loo'ru cabs use the same sensor?
no..this means you can slap the meru driver,start running @82,get chased by driver (he gets warning number 1), get caught and be beaten by the driver and he still has 4 warnings left for the day

By the way, I have not seen any such sensor in cell cabs or taxis at airport in bangalore.
Old 3rd March 2010, 16:33   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaops View Post
no..this means you can slap the meru driver,start running @82,get chased by driver (he gets warning number 1), get caught and be beaten by the driver and he still has 4 warnings left for the day
Lol at that comment. My dad uses Meru quite often from the airport to home though and he really likes the service. I've also used the Meru cab a few times and the drivers were always very good. No recklessness, no speeding and no heart attacks for me. Hope it stays that way

By the way, regarding the weird way auto drivers sit, I heard a good reason a long time back. When I was in school, we had an auto service to drop me off and typically, it was crammed with kids. One of the kids used to sit along with the driver (so one extra kid could be crammed into the back). To make room for him, the driver sat to one side. After dropping us at school, the driver would remain sitting that way as he went off. When asked why, he told me it was a habit for many auto drivers born out of having a passenger sitting on his seat with him.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 3rd March 2010 at 16:37.
Old 3rd March 2010, 20:50   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaops View Post

By the way, I have not seen any such sensor in cell cabs or taxis at airport in bangalore.
lol.. thanks for the thought, next time, I will ask them if they have crossed 4 warnings for the day before slapping

BTW, Haven't we noticed the auto drivers sitting in the same way on bikes too? I have seen loooooooaaaaaaaaaaddddddddsss of them in my home town :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks