Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2005, 12:14   #1
BHPian

Lucky to Live...

hey ..guys..this stuff happend a day ago..while i was cruising down on NH-5 towards.. vizag(andhra)..in my astra..well..i got to stop over for fuel at this place called rajahmundry..and kind of filled her up and started off..then there is an auto guy..who dashes in..so i stepped on my brakes..and they kind of slipped..but finally did stop after a screech..then i was on the highway..doin 100 in 4th...and suddenly..the truck ahead of me slammed the brakes..so...i hit stepped on my brakes too but.my car did nt slow down..so immideatly..i did engine braking..got down to 2nd..and slammed my brakes and even..got to pull my hand brake..just to stop my car. close enough to the truck..lucky there was no one behind me..so..i got down ..to see whats the problem..and i find oil on my rear tyre..so ..i just happend to open the hood and was shocked to see there was no brake fluid..it was compleatly empty..and..when i stepped on th brakes..the went deep in without any effect ..i somehow managed to slowly drive over to the closest opel dealer..who checked it and said that some cylinder's got a leak and the entre brake fluids drained..so he said i need to replace the cylinders..wow..i was really lucky..to get past without an accident..
Old 15th May 2005, 12:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

Man you were lucky to have avoided that truck without any brake fluid.
Prevention is better than cure....so before any highway run, make sure you get your vehicle checked by the workshop. Can mean the difference between life and death. Drive safe.

Drifter
Old 15th May 2005, 12:47   #3
BHPian

ya you should have done that in first case whenever i travel through expressway to pune i always get the engine oil, brake oil etc checked so that there are no problems
Old 15th May 2005, 16:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

whoa, thats scary, man. Damn, these things are unpredictable.
Old 15th May 2005, 17:12   #5
BHPian

thumb rule

hi guys,
as a thumb rule, before you go out on long rides.. try pumping the brakes and if all is right they after a few pumps(10-15 times) the brake pad would become stiff i.e it wont go in. this means that everything is alright..
accod to my dad this happens as the pressure in the brake champer build up as a result the brake pads dont bodge in even if you try pumping it hard.. if tghere is some problem like a leak then it will still go in even after repeated pumpings.. try it to feel it
cheers!!!!
onkars
Old 15th May 2005, 17:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

damn bro , good to have you all in piece man ..
am off to a road trip to shimla ,i'll make sure i double check everything ! ..
peace
Old 15th May 2005, 18:19   #7
BANNED

Hey freakrz,

Glad to know your safe.. drive safe and also check up everything before driving..
Old 15th May 2005, 19:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakrz
i somehow managed to slowly drive over to the closest opel dealer..who checked it and said that some cylinder's got a leak and the entre brake fluids drained..so he said i need to replace the cylinders..wow..i was really lucky..to get past without an accident..
I think he is refering to the brake master cylinder. That's really unusual. I've seen 20 year old cars with no leaks. Even engine failure is no big deal, but brakes are steering are very important man. My policy is to never skimp on their maintenance and always use original parts.
Old 15th May 2005, 20:30   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
I think he is refering to the brake master cylinder. That's really unusual. I've seen 20 year old cars with no leaks. Even engine failure is no big deal, but brakes are steering are very important man. My policy is to never skimp on their maintenance and always use original parts.
yea ..thatz brake master cylinder..i ll have to replace that one..well i did drive around for 150 km..without any trouble..its not a long drive..i mean from vijayawada to vizag..its like around 400km..and the drive is also great..so i did nt bother much..to get a check up..
Old 15th May 2005, 20:37   #10
Senior - BHPian

a team-bhpian who doesnt check his brakes before a really longg trip ?

hey freakrz, better check everything in ur car at the correct intervals cos u aint riding no "japanese". no offences meant.

btw, happy to know u're alright. revv hard. drive safe
Old 16th May 2005, 14:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hey freakrz

Lucky you are unscratched.

My home town is Rajahmundry. There is a service center in Rjy for GM cars. The same guy also services Fiats. The work shop name is Godavari Auto Service and is located opposite to Central jail.
Old 16th May 2005, 15:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

Great presence of mind, dude

Good to be able to keep a cool head on your shoulders when you hit a dead brake pedal. I doubt if I would've been able to do all that and avoid a collission if I were travelling at 100 myself.

Congratulations, and great job!
Old 16th May 2005, 15:24   #13
Senior - BHPian

Btw, doesnt Astra have a break oil indicator? the one like most maruti cars have?
Old 16th May 2005, 15:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

That should have been a real scary moment, lucky that you escaped from that. Next time don't forget to check the breaks. Drive safely.
Old 17th May 2005, 11:31   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani
Hey freakrz

Lucky you are unscratched.

My home town is Rajahmundry. There is a service center in Rjy for GM cars. The same guy also services Fiats. The work shop name is Godavari Auto Service and is located opposite to Central jail.
yea..i know that place..thats where i have taken my car..so where do you stay..

Most Viewed