Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2009, 18:59   #16
Senior - BHPian

I have a strong feeling that higher fines will only become a reason for higher bribes (opportunity costs, as the traffic cops would like to call it), and the bribes would remain cheaper than the fines. So, yes, increasing the penalties is one thing, making sure they are collected is the more important thing, and I really doubt if that would happen.
Old 30th March 2009, 19:19   #17
BHPian

vineethvazhayil, 99.9% of times, a bribe transaction happens because you did something wrong in the first place allowing for the cop to ask for one. With hefty fines and consequently increased bribe, you wouldnt want to be in such a situation.

So out goes the jazzy number plates, dark tints, indiscplined lane driving, smoking with windows open...

OT - Unintended consequence of the higher per bribe transaction will definitely be an increase in GDP as the cops cant put it in Fixed deposit .
Old 30th March 2009, 19:21   #18
Senior - BHPian

Boss, I cannot pay 500 bucks to a cop! I'd prefer waiting for the signal to go green.
And this will be the attitude of most of the drivers if fines are increased.
If the Mamas increase thier stake to 400-500 instead of the regular 50-100 then all common commuters have a problem. This is the law that mamas can enforce.
Old 30th March 2009, 19:53   #19
BHPian

To minimize the bribing there should be an automated way atleast not to involve the traffic police on the roads.
Old 30th March 2009, 20:07   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzegeek View Post
vineethvazhayil, 99.9% of times, a bribe transaction happens because you did something wrong in the first place allowing for the cop to ask for one. With hefty fines and consequently increased bribe, you wouldnt want to be in such a situation.

So out goes the jazzy number plates, dark tints, indiscplined lane driving, smoking with windows open...

OT - Unintended consequence of the higher per bribe transaction will definitely be an increase in GDP as the cops cant put it in Fixed deposit .
You have arrived at a fantstically optimistic percentage! Those of you baying for higher fines, don't forget you may be forced to pay it for no fault of yours! Speaking from experience...

And there isn't going to be any increase in GDP as the exercise is totally non producitive. In fact it its the converse, if you think about it!!
Old 30th March 2009, 21:53   #21
BANNED

Along with this, the government should stop granting exemption to builders from the requirements for minimum parking spaces.

The building rules mandate a minimum parking space for different kinds of buildings. Builders, in greed, are obtaining (errr. bribing) exemptions from these requirements. The result is that car owners are forced to use either "pay and park" or use public roads for parking vehicles.

Duh. Why should I be forced to park on the road while shopping?
Old 30th March 2009, 22:21   #22
Senior - BHPian

Yeah..right!! We can have all the laws we want but nothing's gonna change. In my view, firstly the cops should enforce the law impartially. A law should be a law irrespective of whether you are a minister or just an auto driver. Auto drivers and the ilk gang up because they know that the policeman is partial in the first place. They don't have the money so they use strong arm tactics. Remember the Pepsi ad - "janta hai mera baap kon hai??" Yeah that's how the police enforce the law. Depends on your "connections"

I've got folks who don't wear helmets or seatbelts cos they "don't feel like it". Simple right?

Secondly there's a question of education. A lot of incidents happen because people jus aren't aware of the law. There is no provision to educate people. Driving school are just out to fleece you. How many driving instructors tell you to use you indicator while changing lanes? Or to stop at a junction and look either side before proceeding rather than slowly edging forward and keep the guy from the other side guessing like a "who blinks first"?

So perhaps they should keep the fines the same and start strict enforcement of the laws they've got.

Drive on!!
Shibu
Old 30th March 2009, 22:38   #23
BHPian

Let strict and fair enforcement tried first and if successful, it is sure to give very positive results. But with Autos, Buses and politicians, how it is going to materialize?
Old 31st March 2009, 13:30   #24
Senior - BHPian

Bad news for violators justifiably, but great news for traffic cops. As anyone who has dealt with them, higher fines mean higher bribes. I have had an experience of a senior traffic cop alongwith subordinates in a Qualis stopping me in CP, making me pay Rs. 1,500 without a receipt (with the promise of a receipt by mail). Because of circumstances at the time (in a hurry because of some bereavement), fell for it. Still waiting for a receipt for the past 19 mths. More such experiences for me.
Old 31st March 2009, 14:08   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
I have had an experience of a senior traffic cop alongwith subordinates in a Qualis stopping me in CP, making me pay Rs. 1,500 without a receipt (with the promise of a receipt by mail).
Vasudeva, what did you do to deserve 1500 fine? He must not have just disliked you just for the sake of it.
Old 31st March 2009, 15:41   #26
BHPian

In yesterdays TOI edition (Delhi), there was a point on the list mentioning fancy lights and a fine against using them. What would be under these fancy lights for a car, would that be Projectors and LED's for rear.
Old 31st March 2009, 16:03   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
In yesterdays TOI edition (Delhi), there was a point on the list mentioning fancy lights and a fine against using them. What would be under these fancy lights for a car, would that be Projectors and LED's for rear.
I think LED at the rear should not make any problem. But the HID should be a problem for all the Car. People are using 4 HID at the City limit which makes conplete blind.
And also I have seen a car fitted with a light which keep blinking. And the power of the light is too much.
Old 31st March 2009, 17:26   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
I think LED at the rear should not make any problem. But the HID should be a problem for all the Car. People are using 4 HID at the City limit which makes conplete blind.
And also I have seen a car fitted with a light which keep blinking. And the power of the light is too much.
Stobe lights (flashing lights), white lights, colored lights would welcome a challan.
The only lights allowed on headlights are the stock ones or similar in color. Intensity can be increased.
This challan is valid only for the lights which are in the front of the car.
In short, keep the car simple.

IMHO, the increase is fine can deter people breaking rules. While, on the other hand, there can also be an increase in the demand for bribing policemen.

Lets see whats in store.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks