Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2009, 15:15   #1
BHPian

Bad news for traffic violators

Are you ready to pay more fine ???

New Delhi: Get ready to pay heavier fines for traffic offences. A new Bill to amend the Motor Vehicles Act 1988 has been given the final touches. If passed as one of the first laws enacted by the new government, as is expected, all traffic violations would invite a heavy penalty.
Officials told STOI higher fines for violations like speeding, jumping red lights, wrong parking or driving without licence, are expected to be in place by the end of the year, so that there is disciplined traffic in the Capital before the Commonwealth Games. Even if the new law is being rushed through because of the Games, it will be applicable across the country.
The move, however, suffers from one major infirmity — while efforts are on to steeply increase the penalty, there is no talk of ensuring that the laws themselves are realistic. For instance, in Delhi the flat speed limit is 50 kmph — so unrealistically low that no one observes it — but the new Bill proposes to hike the fine for speeding from Rs 400 to Rs 1,000.
The fine for talking on mobiles while driving is proposed to be increased to Rs 1,000 from Rs 400. There is no clarity on whether hands-free is allowed, though local officers say it’s banned as it’s a ‘‘distraction’’. When pointed out that talking to a co-passenger could also be a ‘‘distraction’’, an officer laughed it off.
There is a proposal to introduce some new sections in the Act. For instance, there is a proposal to introduce ‘‘Section 187-A’’ under which drivers caught causing injury or damage to another road user due to rash and negligent driving will be fined Rs 5,000. Sources said Delhi traffic police had suggested the fine be still higher, Rs 10,000.
Times View
These proposals are only partially welcome. While there is a case for high deterrence against violation of law, the law itself must be realistic for it to be respected. This is not the case at present. For instance, while the penalty for ‘‘overspeeding’’ is sought to be hiked from Rs 400 to Rs 1,000, current speed limits are ridiculously low. In Delhi, for example, there is a flat speed limit of 50 kmph — so low that no one observes it. In the process, people tend to lose respect for the law. What we need are sensible laws, strictly enforced, not absurd laws that no one observes.

Article Window
Old 29th March 2009, 20:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

These are all alright provided enforced uniformly, not selectively. The laws and the penalities for violaters have always been there, but hardly enforced.

Increasing the fine but not enforcing will be futile, and you'll have to live with those greedy constables who will settle for less, thus negating the whole exercise..
Old 29th March 2009, 20:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

^^^This are allright?????????

These are just another set of ultra stupid laws. The only thing they will do is help 'mamas' earn more bribes!

The thing about hands free is most amazing! With no clarity, the laws will be open to interpretion by the semi-literate constables!! And what about me? I almost always have my wired hands free in my ears when driving in car, as I listen to music and audio books. Is this legal or illegal?? First thing is I don't want other to tell me what I can do in my own car. Second, even the law isn't clear about it!! Really sad state of affairs...

I don't know when people will realise that laws in themselves will never curb crimes...
Old 29th March 2009, 21:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^This are allright?????????

These are just another set of ultra stupid laws. The only thing they will do is help 'mamas' earn more bribes!
Rightly said.

The traffic police suggesting to increase the fine will translate something like this - 'pay 1000 as fine or pay me 500'.

Thus, adding a 0 to the usual 50/- fine!

BTW, I now have a doubt. When a common man is caught by the interceptor for speeding, say 60kmph on a 50kmph road, and on the same road, the lawmaker's (politician's) cavalcade passes through at 80kmph+ speed, can they be stopped/booked for speeding as well?

Why is the law always applicable for some and NOT for some?
Old 29th March 2009, 22:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

what is the government smoking.
i doubt this will be completely implemented.
i feel its too expensive,
Old 29th March 2009, 22:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

This will never come into effect. Even if it does, the 'mamool' paid to police will increase if you are caught.

It is left to the individuals to abide to the law and rule of the land. Unless this is done, whatever law amendments or the police actions will have no effect.
Old 29th March 2009, 23:28   #7
BHPian

Its true that Mama will earn more. But at the same time it will have some effect to some people atleast. People have some fear that they has to pay more. Rs.100 is Ok for every one but when it comes to 500/- people will think twice before they try to break the law. I have seen people how they slowly jump the Signal while it is on road. They will turn the vehicle to the other side of signal and jump. Even some time they will not stop at all though there is Red Signal.
I believe that this kind of Violation will decrease. Let see what happen
Old 30th March 2009, 02:41   #8
BHPian

i just hope traffic police does something soon. traffic in delhi is really getting out of hand and miserable. no respect for others on road. some will start behaving themselves for sure. for others, do learn from the 1st type.

everything is acceptable but can we skip the tinted glass clause plz
Old 30th March 2009, 02:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

Definitely a good thing,if the cops are taught to implement these laws/rules.
Education has to start with the cops,so they understand their duties and stick to the policies of these rules.Next, every single person should be made aware of basic road rules (unrealistic,I know).

Not to forget,the licensing process should be made tougher,and with strict methods to instill good road sense into candidates. If it starts this way,good rules and good road sense would mean better conditions.

That would happen in Utopia,I'm sure!
Old 30th March 2009, 12:13   #10
BHPian

Uniformity Required

Today read in Bangalore newspaper that a group of autorikshaw drivers were blocking busy MG road yesterday because police had intensified check on their DL's.

Police in Bangalore can milk only 2 wheeler & car drivers, they cant touch powerful auto's.
Old 30th March 2009, 12:38   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreddy View Post
Today read in Bangalore newspaper that a group of autorikshaw drivers were blocking busy MG road yesterday because police had intensified check on their DL's.

Police in Bangalore can milk only 2 wheeler & car drivers, they cant touch powerful auto's.
Turns out the police caught an auto in no-parking zone and found the driver driving without a license. Trouble started when the cop challened the driver for these violations. Soon other auto drivers joined in against the cop.

Autodrivers get a higher hand from their numbers. They are not above law. Cops should take stricter action against these hooligans.
Old 30th March 2009, 12:43   #12
BHPian

Hefty fines work..if and only if

I drove for about 3 years in Middle East. There is hardly any respect for each others and given a choice people will jump over each other and obliterate the smaller vehicle if given a free hand, but what works are the hefty fines and other measures which make sure you just dont do anything as stupid as jumping a red light, not following traffic policemen, tailgating etc etc.

If you jump a red light in Dubai, you get clicked - your car gets impounded, the car is left in the open yard with windows down for 15 days (I had a friend whose Cayanne interiors got ruined), you get 8-10 black points (one more such instance - license gone for 1 year) and a fairly hefty fine of 1500-2000 dirhams (this can be half month's salary for some drivers).

I think such sort of schemes are nice - why just 1000 INR - why not 5000 INR - that will be some deterent - wouldnt it. However as the thread starter noted, this will work if the rules themselves are not stupid.

Corruption exists everywhere - but if you have to pay 10%-20% of 5000 to the cop as bribe - why will you take that chance at all?
Old 30th March 2009, 12:56   #13
BHPian

All traffic constables are going to rejoice for obvious reasons !!
Old 30th March 2009, 13:14   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddvi View Post
Turns out the police caught an auto in no-parking zone and found the driver driving without a license. Trouble started when the cop challened the driver for these violations. Soon other auto drivers joined in against the cop.
something special about Bangalore here again - refer to posts on Bangalore traffic rants - a taxi driver wouldnt move inspite of Traffic cops threatening him. Cant imagine this in Delhi inspite of it being most well connected city (Pata nahi mera baap kaon hai?).
Old 30th March 2009, 15:08   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzegeek View Post
I think such sort of schemes are nice - why just 1000 INR - why not 5000 INR - that will be some deterent - wouldnt it. However as the thread starter noted, this will work if the rules themselves are not stupid.

Corruption exists everywhere - but if you have to pay 10%-20% of 5000 to the cop as bribe - why will you take that chance at all?
Yes, I too feel the same. People will fear to pay the huge amount. But then again Cops will take undo advantage while you are in not at any fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreddy View Post

Bangalore Traffic Police does not have courage to take a action against Bus/Auto/Cab ... They have sold their authority and power to those idiot.
These Yellow Board Union has more power than the Traffic Police.

I think we also need to make some kind of (T-BHP)

Most Viewed