Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you get provoked easily by other drivers?
Yes 170 60.28%
No 112 39.72%
Voters: 282. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2009, 12:09   #61
Senior - BHPian

The sticker on my car "Objects in the rear view mirror..quickly disappear" although has been always been something i wanted, but has got me into quite a situations too.

Boy racers read and want to race, my dad had to face this upteen times.
People honk, flash, get in between and provoke you to put the swift D's horses to test and my dad being in his late 50's would just potter around at 70's and 80's on the highway but gets very irritated and has to brake, drastic lane changes and once the car even skidded in the rain because a baleno was hell bent on racing.

Has happening to me too, inititally i used to go along and show them the power of the D but then later once i got into a very bad duel with a accent crdi which went on for 100 kilometers at 150 plus speeds is when i realised that its not worth it.

No more provocation for me,i just bring the car to a stop or slow down to almost 40's and 50's so that he realises that i am not going to race.
The sticker is something i like but sometimes i get a second thoughts on removing it.
Old 24th July 2009, 10:25   #62
BHPian

I think even Mahatma Gandhi would be angry atleast once per 10 km in Bangalore traffic.
Old 13th September 2009, 14:16   #63
BHPian

No, I don't get provoked any more! But I do get angry on a regular basis: other drivers, pedestrians, they all seem to be up against me and my car. I have met guys wanting to overtake inside the tunnel on E'way to hell. They drive a Swift-D while imagining to be in an Aston Martin and actually think their name is Bond; Someguy Bond.
Old 13th September 2009, 16:17   #64
BHPian

Nope. No way.

One life threatening accident has stripped me out of all the aggression and ego I had. No more aggression when it comes to driving.

I do get frustrated and angry sometimes, but calm down very fast. Next moment I'll be hoping to live long enough to see all these madness go away on India Highways.
Old 14th September 2009, 12:34   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KishoreC View Post
One life threatening accident has stripped me out of all the aggression and ego I had. No more aggression when it comes to driving.
Kishore, good that you have came out safe. You can also share that experience in our 'street experiences' section else in this same thread to highlight, why you do not get provoked on roads these days. That would really help many of us to learn just by reading your experience

It takes 1 hr travel for me from residence to office. On the days, when I was aggressive in my driving style, I could feel how stressed I was to start the day in office. Realized that getting ourselves exposed to both mental and physical damage for such an unproductive action is not worth. Listening to customized recorded CD did helped a lot As you mentioned its how quick we dilute the (aggressive) thoughts when an offer tempts us
Old 15th September 2009, 13:34   #66

i used to get provoked earlier but not any more.
Old 15th September 2009, 18:19   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm still struggling, and the provocation is still winning <Blush>
Old 15th September 2009, 21:21   #68
BHPian

I still get provoked, but the threshold has gone up, may be a sign of advancing age.
Old 16th September 2009, 21:07   #69
Senior - BHPian

I get angry but not provoked anymore! But yeah earlier used to get provoked.
Old 16th September 2009, 21:15   #70
Senior - BHPian

My answer is Yes. Sad but true. I just came back from office and on my way I smoked an Innova driver who suddenly overtook me through my close left on a junction.

Last edited by clevermax : 16th September 2009 at 21:17.
Old 17th September 2009, 13:18   #71
BHPian

Honk-o-maniacs

I get mad when some one honks at me continuously from behind. I let him pass and I honk back madly at him. My dad also has this habit. I think it is genetic and I'm struggling to let go of it
Old 17th September 2009, 13:52   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

I get mad when people honk in stationary traffic.

Should I ever succeed in speaking passable Tamil, I dream of getting out of the car, and saying to the honking guy, "I can understand that you wish I were not stopped in front of you, but look; see, there is a car stopped in front of me, and another one in front of him, then another five or six cars, then a red traffic signal and a policeman. What is your difficulty in understanding that?"

Moment of introspection: us bits are very good at arrogance, and I am no exception <embarrassed Blush>
Old 21st September 2009, 15:15   #73
gpa
Senior - BHPian

I do not get provoked by other people's errant driving. But, the thing that really gets my blood boiling is when I see a driver talking on the mobile phone and puttering in the middle of the road at 20 km/hr not allowing any other vehicle to overtake (most roads in BLR have massive dividers in the centre).

Since I drive a lot, I keep my cool in the car and am a very sedate driver. Defensive driving is something that was ingrained in me by my dad (who doesn't drive) and it's something I follow when I am on the roads-be it the city or highway!

Edit: I see from this poll that 58% of the people get provoked, which IMO is cause for concern.

Last edited by gpa : 21st September 2009 at 15:17.
Old 23rd September 2009, 14:34   #74
BHPian

I never used to get into fights. Normally when someone cuts me off, it results in me shouting inside the car causing my parents telling me to calm down. Nowadays Im controlling that urge also.

I have shifted my house so that I travel only 4km to office instead of 15km
Old 24th September 2009, 16:06   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
I have shifted my house so that I travel only 4km to office instead of 15km
Great strategy!

I *usually* do not get angry/provoked etc when others cut me off or drive really bad. I just accept it as normal traffic behaviour and move on. No point getting myself in a bad mood. Maybe the other chap is driving like that because he's had a bad day and frustrated.

I mentioned *usually* because at times people do get under my skin while driving @ night. When the guy behind starts flashing lights to go ahead even when its perfectly clear that there is no space to move aside (if there is, I move over). In such cases, I do loose my cool a bit and showing them the finger shuts them up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks