Team-BHP > Street Experiences

View Poll Results: Do you get provoked easily by other drivers?
Yes 170 60.28%
No 112 39.72%
Voters: 282. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:11   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princemanatt View Post
I do get provoked. But not very easily. It takes too many morons to cut me across to do that. But unfortunately it happens most of the time. I travel around 30 kms to the office at peak hours. I start of sedately and drive courteously. But gradually all the bullying I get along will make me bad tempered and I would be really pissed off by the time I reach office!!
Anger is "Punishing yourself for someone else's mistake"
Daily stress has a lot of health hazards attached to it in the long run. Driving is relaxation. We do not need to add the stress factor to this beautiful hobby.

So, drive at a comfortable speed.

Comfortable speed doesn't necessarily mean, you should drive slow which causes many vehicle to overtake you, which again adds to the mental stress. When you see a moron pass in front of you without any ethics, just consider that as his problem. No need to even comment on it. The best thing to do would be to smile.

If nothing else helps, just think of the below mentioned point -
"We are ambassadors of the great community - team-bhp when we have the stickers on our car and we have a responsibility to make our road safer. "
Old 3rd November 2009, 14:55   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
I hope, you meant the left most ( unless you are not in India )
Amalji,

On most occasions when you are in Bumper-to-Bumper traffic across long stretches, which is usually the case in Bangalore, there are 3 to 4 lanes of vehicles which gets formed on one side of the road. In this scenario I stick to the 4th/last lane (The lane closest to the divider). The reason is the amount of criss-crossing by bikes/autos is less in this line and that you need to worry about only one side of your vehicle (Hopefully).
Old 3rd November 2009, 15:00   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
If nothing else helps, just think of the below mentioned point -
"We are ambassadors of the great community - team-bhp when we have the stickers on our car and we have a responsibility to make our road safer. "
+1 from my side, what better way to show that you are a member of this community than to live it on a daily life
Old 3rd November 2009, 22:15   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Zoom View Post
Amalji,

On most occasions when you are in Bumper-to-Bumper traffic across long stretches, which is usually the case in Bangalore, there are 3 to 4 lanes of vehicles which gets formed on one side of the road. In this scenario I stick to the 4th/last lane (The lane closest to the divider). The reason is the amount of criss-crossing by bikes/autos is less in this line and that you need to worry about only one side of your vehicle (Hopefully).
Ahh, now I understand.
I've not been to Bangalore many times. Normally my assumption was that on multi-line road, you stick to the extreme right only when you are on a fast run. You mentioned slow in your earlier post and I was confused. But, in bumper to bumper traffic, as you mentioned, the meaning of the right line have to be redefined.
Old 4th November 2009, 13:15   #95

I become a mongrel with a mongrel driver..can't help it

I must say that I become a mongrel when others show rough attitude on roads. Infact I engaged in atleast 3 different fist fights on road, why? in all the cases I was the one to be hit by 1. a unruly cab driver, 2. a speeding biker who did not honk or slow down in a intersection and jammed into my stationary car and 3. a driver speeding out of a small lane.

I give way to pedestrians (something I learnt while driving abrod and I liked it), strictly follow the signals and let go small mistakes other drovers make on roads like trying to inch into my lane etc etc.
Old 7th November 2009, 23:43   #96
Senior - BHPian

seems like bangalore has the most number of cases related to road rage.
what seems to be the problem ? the people? the food? the air !! lol.
i have seen 'n' number of guys on the road getting into fights even if the accident was a near miss.
first thing people do here in Bangalore is pick up their phone and pretend that they have "Contacts" and try to Intimidate the other driver.This point proves no matter how much our country develops the people living here are primitive.
I personally have never been in such sticky situations(touch wood) but have given a few people a piece of my mind who actually deserve it.
Old 3rd December 2009, 13:04   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
+1 to this. Even today, I get provoked if anybody cuts in front of me dangerously. I yell at them or honk for around 2~3 secs which will relieve me very much.
+1 to it i do the same thing, i also hate vehicles behind blaring their horn, when you know that the signal has not yet turned green.
Some also keep honking when the traffic has come to a stand still. in that case i turn my head and stare at those poeple without moving the vehicle for 5 to 10 sec, most of them calm down with this gesture.
Old 3rd December 2009, 14:21   #98
BHPian

I generally practise defensive driving; till th time I am rubbed wrongly by an auto or a cab or a BEST in the city or an occassional dumper or Scorpio on the highway.
After that my vehicle (whatever I drive) becomes a guided missile...
Old 3rd December 2009, 16:32   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

I bought a tailgating (inches, at over 40Kmh) Honda SUV to a halt on the OMR the other day. At times like that, I am so glad that (after a while of being driven gently only) my Swift's diesel produces a big belch of black smoke when I accelerate hard away .

I stopped myself chasing someone recently, too, with a stern self reminder that, to do so, I would have to drive at least as dangerously as he was doing...

Still, on the whole, despite these occasions, my on-road anger management is improving!
Old 3rd December 2009, 16:40   #100
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Its just not worth one's time and energy to react to provocation on the road. Actually I expect people to behave like morons on the road. And hence their behaviour never takes me by surprise.

In all my years of driving in India I have never had an altercation with a fellow motorist. Its just not worth it.
Old 3rd December 2009, 19:07   #101
Senior - BHPian

I Used to get provoked before but not now.
Incident-1
Am usually a cool guy and dont blow a fuse that easily.One fine day i and my cousin sister were coming back from bandra.On way a zen cut me of to an extent i was about to loose my balance,thanks to the disc brake of my unicorn that helped me reduce speed in time.When i reached the centaur flyover,i saw the same zen rear ended with a qualis.the driver of the zen in the mid 20s was arguing with the the driver of the qualis.I stop by to see.and joined the argument and said how he had cut me off too.All of a sudden he says to buzz of as he hadnt hit me.On hearing this i lost my cool,threw away my helmet down and started bashing him left and right,at that point of time my cousin looking at me with her mouth wide open as she hadn't seen me so angry.On reaching home she narrated this incident to my mother.
From that day she makes me do some breathing exercises,which works by the way
Old 3rd December 2009, 22:13   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

I dont get provoked easily to race on road but i dont find it ok if somebody tries pushing my beloved car off the road.
Old 3rd December 2009, 22:25   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi View Post
I generally practise defensive driving; till th time I am rubbed wrongly by an auto or a cab or a BEST in the city or an occassional dumper or Scorpio on the highway.
After that my vehicle (whatever I drive) becomes a guided missile...
This goes for me too...
Old 3rd December 2009, 23:04   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somu_john View Post
+1 to it i do the same thing, i also hate vehicles behind blaring their horn, when you know that the signal has not yet turned green.
There's an apt thought for the occasion "The first one to see the traffic signal turn green is always the car right behind yours."
Old 3rd December 2009, 23:25   #105
BHPian

It is not worth being a moron, just because some other road user is being a moron. I just ignore and keep going.

I was on the way to work and was waiting for a Bus to pass before I could take a right turn. Out of the blue, an auto tried to overtake the bus, realized I was in his way, could not stop soon enough and crashed into my front bumper just between the headlight and the fog lamp on the passenger side. My bumper was cracked and the reflector of the fog lamp popped out. The auto lost its head lamp assembly and a major dent to his front.

As usual, there was a mob and everyone trying to argue and decide whose fault it was. I coolly pulled out my mobile phone and called the police. This being inside electronic city, the police arrived in minutes and wanted to know what I wanted. I had not moved my car and had neither allowed the auto to move. I told the police to first disperse the mob, which they promptly did.

As the vehicles were not moved after the collision, it was very evident who was at fault. After all my car was still on the left hand side of the road, while the auto was on the wrong side. The police wanted to know if I wanted to file a case and press charges. They offered to seize the Auto and take it back to the Police Station.

Everyone was taken aback by my reply. I said " I do not want that guy to suffer unnecessarily. He cannot afford the repairs to my car (front bumper had to be replaced). Also it does not benefit me by taking away his bread and butter. Ask him to own up and apologize and lets all go our way"

It felt really good that I did not lose my cool and was willing to forgive when an apology is tendered.

Cheers,

Rajan

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 3rd December 2009 at 23:27.

Most Viewed