Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2009, 10:34   #16
BHPian

A friend of mine has decided to move to Bangalore and doesn't understand why all you folks are complaining about getting 25 humps within 5kms!!! .
There's no place like it in the whole world !

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 4th April 2009 at 10:44.
Old 4th April 2009, 12:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

The road beyond Wipro campus (electronic City) towards bannerghatta Road has close to 45 road humps in about 8 kms.
Old 4th April 2009, 13:05   #18
Senior - BHPian

I live just off one of those - the Haralur Road. While the speed-breakers are a pain to drive over, I do see a benefit as well.

Let me describe the road to you.

Its a minor road connecting the Haralur Village to Sarjapura Road (and on the other side, Kudlu to Naganathapura). Its purpose was never to serve as a connecting artery between two major highways. There are no pavements, and in places it shrinks to a width of 25 feet or so.

There are a couple of villages along this, and numerous apartments etc. There's only a couple of buses coming in all the way, an many people walk to the main roads for catching a bus/auto, going to school, doing basic grocery, etc.

About a couple years ago this road was in terrible shape - some folks from our apartment and others got it highlighted in the media as well. It has since been re-tarred twice, and widened in places.

The trouble started when people - both residents of places along the road as well as those using the "short-cut" to Hosur Road - started zipping on the narrow roads - with the pedestrians occupying the sides and two way traffic that includes buses and trucks! There were a couple of serious accidents, and overall walking along this road was pretty iffy.

The numerous speed breakers were almost a reaction by the village panchayat to reduce speeds since a lot many drivers were hardly being responsible or displaying any civic sense. The roads are multi-use and motorized transport needs to respect the rights of other users. Sadly, the only way to "enforce" this is physical barriers.

People still zip in between the speed breakers, but overall the speeds have reduced a bit. I hate driving over them - but given the context in which those roads exist and are used, I'm not complaining.

Last edited by zenx : 4th April 2009 at 13:07.
Old 4th April 2009, 13:11   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
The road beyond Wipro campus (electronic City) towards bannerghatta Road has close to 45 road humps in about 8 kms.
I ride through it everyday . It is absolutely frustrating when there are heavy vehicles moving on both sides along these humps. Bettadaspura is like There are humps every 10 m. They have added a couple of humps at the T junction for which I don't see any purpose as there are humps barely a few feet away.
Old 4th April 2009, 13:26   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuks View Post
The Haralur road - starting from SpringFields apartment in Sarjapur rd and ending at Hosur road jn - naganathpura junction is really bad after the recent re-taring. The number of humps in this road is more than that in the Amrita college road.

And the humps are really high and really bad. It will test the suspension of any car.
Last i counted was 33 from the Sarjapur-Orr junction to EC

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post

OT: has anyone gone to La Casa on that stretch of road. Really good food amazing atmospshere and pretty reasonable.

This is the second time in as many days I'm hearing someone speak good about this place. Planning to try it today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
I live just off one of those - the Haralur Road. While the speed-breakers are a pain to drive over, I do see a benefit as well.

Let me describe the road to you.

Its a minor road connecting the Haralur Village to Sarjapura Road (and on the other side, Kudlu to Naganathapura). Its purpose was never to serve as a connecting artery between two major highways. There are no pavements, and in places it shrinks to a width of 25 feet or so.

There are a couple of villages along this, and numerous apartments etc. There's only a couple of buses coming in all the way, an many people walk to the main roads for catching a bus/auto, going to school, doing basic grocery, etc.

About a couple years ago this road was in terrible shape - some folks from our apartment and others got it highlighted in the media as well. It has since been re-tarred twice, and widened in places.

The trouble started when people - both residents of places along the road as well as those using the "short-cut" to Hosur Road - started zipping on the narrow roads - with the pedestrians occupying the sides and two way traffic that includes buses and trucks! There were a couple of serious accidents, and overall walking along this road was pretty iffy.

The numerous speed breakers were almost a reaction by the village panchayat to reduce speeds since a lot many drivers were hardly being responsible or displaying any civic sense. The roads are multi-use and motorized transport needs to respect the rights of other users. Sadly, the only way to "enforce" this is physical barriers.

People still zip in between the speed breakers, but overall the speeds have reduced a bit. I hate driving over them - but given the context in which those roads exist and are used, I'm not complaining.
Quiet true, without these humps there would have been numerous accidents. Even with so many speed breakers the cabbies still manage to drive like crazy

Last edited by nemo : 4th April 2009 at 13:27.
Old 4th April 2009, 13:52   #21
Team-BHP Support

Wow quite a few guys staying on Sarjapur road-haralur road area. I propose we have a bangalore Sarjapur speed breaker meet at La Casa at Hosa road. lol.
Old 4th April 2009, 13:56   #22
BHPian

The most vicious humps I have encountered are the one on the Devanhalli bypass and another one just as you turn left towards Nandi hills. Saw a NHC hit one of these at about 80kph once. No injuries but his car must have taken a tremendous beating.
Bangalore is the only place where they put humps on the main highway. The ones on the Mysore road are ideally placed to cause accidents, not prevent them.
Old 4th April 2009, 18:37   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Wow quite a few guys staying on Sarjapur road-haralur road area. I propose we have a bangalore Sarjapur speed breaker meet at La Casa at Hosa road. lol.
when is that? just anounce
Old 4th April 2009, 19:09   #24
BHPian

Quote:

OT: has anyone gone to La Casa on that stretch of road. Really good food amazing atmospshere and pretty reasonable.

Yes. I have been to the place few times.
The terrace has good ambiance if you want to have a beer/wine with your dinner.
Some of the food items are good, but some are bad too. So it all depends of what you choose.

About the cost, it is not cheap at all. Average dinner cost could be around Rs.350-500

I go there only for the convenience, not for the quality of food.

Now back to topic.
One reason they put too many humps on this road may be because there were few accidents soon after the road was made. One involved with death of a local child by a maniac cab driver.

And not the least! few cows were also victims
Old 6th April 2009, 06:42   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunnn View Post
There are two roads connecting Sarjapur Road to Hosur road (Jail road and another one parallel to it). These roads are full of humps. Its few meters of road between humps. Also these humps are constructed without any standard, its just a heap of tar. This will definitely spoil your car as well as your spinal cord ( even if you have air suspension ).
Hundreds of cars going to Electronic city use this road daily. Frequent braking and gear change waste a lot of fuel for all these cars.

As road tax payers, do we have the basic rights to drive on smooth roads.

Is it possible to file a PIL against such illegal and unscientific speed breakers ( any lawyers among the BHPians pls? )

Its ok it construct a speed breaker at sharp turns. But on this road, there are humps at 50m distance even on straight road also.

Tell me about it

I use this "road" everyday to and from office. Seems like the handi work of local politicians. These so called public servants have installed "Humps" every few meters. Worst part on this stretch is, there is some sort of a "Granite" quarry, which I guess was abandoned some time ago, and has acumulated water. Its hard to believe, but this thing is on a blind curve, and there are no walls/barricades. Its about as big as a small lake, and the depth is approx. 15-20 metres. It scared the hell out of me, the first time I was on this road, and my driver narrowly missed plunging into this death trap.

I even received a forward mail from someone, in my office, containing pictures of a Swaraj-Mazda (van) which had fallen into this thing

Regards,
Old 6th April 2009, 11:32   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
A friend of mine has decided to move to Bangalore and doesn't understand why all you folks are complaining about getting 25 humps within 5kms!!! . There's no place like it in the whole world !
hehehe! ROTFLMAO. . i am moving to bangalore too.
Old 6th April 2009, 12:51   #27
Senior - BHPian

Like I said earlier, these speed-breakers are an unfortunate fallout of irresponsible driving and a strange sense of entitlement that makes some automobile users disregard the rights of other road users. Its a minor village roads that serves a different primary purpose. Its also getting used as a short cut to Hosur Road, but we must respect the rights of other road users. Its at most a 30 kmph road, and at those speeds (which, as a sad testimony to our collective civic sense, are enforceable only using such physical barriers), I've not found the speed breakers a major issue, even with a full car load of people in my OHC. I'd rather not injure the schoolkids and other users of that road.
Old 6th April 2009, 13:08   #28
BHPian

I do take this road everyday. Planning to shift my route to 'Kudlu Gate'. It's a real pain going through all those humps.

I see that the humps are made whenever

1. There is a school - very much needed
2. There is another minor road joining the 'main road' - what for? For the benefit of very few drivers who enter the main road from the side roads??????
Old 6th April 2009, 13:22   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
A friend of mine has decided to move to Bangalore and doesn't understand why all you folks are complaining about getting 25 humps within 5kms!!! . There's no place like it in the whole world !
Well, that's my laughter dose for the day, I still can't stop . Thank you
Old 6th April 2009, 13:50   #30
BHPian

Damn. Bangalore is notorious for the so called humps aka speedbreakers. It was one of these unmarked damn things that caused me to fall off my RX & break my elbow & nose about 4 years back & you know the funny part most of these things are ridiculously shaped, not marked & in the night most of these are awy from the street light & hence not visible.I wouldn't call them humps but TAR Bumps .

@All the New guys coming to Blr. Welcome to the land of the Bumps & Humps & Super heated Oven!!!! Damn it is Hot on Blr.

Cheers!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks