Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2009, 14:19   #31
Senior - BHPian

Perhaps they're trying to recreate the glory of Vijayanagara by turning Bangalore into Humpy.

Seriously, Karnataka seems to love speedbreakers. They're all over the place - inside cities, in small towns, on national highways, state highways and even on some unpaved roads. Anyone who has driven from Kutta to Gonikoppal would tell you the road is so bad there's no need for a speedbreaker, STILL they have speedbreakers placed very regularly and these 'breakers' are well maintained, even though the road itself resembles Ground Zero.
Old 6th April 2009, 14:28   #32
BHPian

Originally Posted by arunnn
There are two roads connecting Sarjapur Road to Hosur road (Jail road and another one parallel to it). These roads are full of humps.

Thank you for the info

Originally Posted by vid6639
Yeah tell me about it. I counted 28 actually. That road is a real pain.

Too much of anything is always bad for health.

Originally Posted by vid6639
By the way the small humps 3 together types with less than a few feet between them. don't slow down too much for those

, didnt know one could go fast on the group humps .Always thought going slow was the key to them.

Originally Posted by Su-47
Are you talking about the road that goes in front of Amrita Instt. of Tech. If so, I went on this road to take a look and was amazed at 8-big ones in about 800m. A couple of them were in a pair-formation and were seriously bone jarring.

8 big ones and in Pairs?For sure I'd slow down

Originally Posted by Su-47
I feel sorry for people who have to take this road regularly. BTW, BLR is nasty for humps.Recently these have been shaved off a bit and there is some relief.

Originally Posted by Sankar
Talking about unmarked humps do you remember the one that you an me jumped one after the other near the Reliance pump on the way to Maddur CCD? Damn! It was an unmarked belly scraper on Bangalore Mysore Highway!!

Sharing is caring indeed.Hmmm ,wonder what a belly scraper feels like though.

Originally Posted by Sankar
I wonder why they call it highway instead of hump-away

Thats the spirit!

Originally Posted by zenx
I live just off one of those - the Haralur Road. I do see a benefit as well.

Lucky chap

Originally Posted by arsudarsan
I ride through it everyday . It is absolutely frustrating when there are heavy vehicles moving on both sides along these humps. Bettadaspura is like There are humps every 10 m. They have added a couple of humps at the T junction for which I don't see any purpose as there are humps barely a few feet away.

Originally Posted by Roy.S
The most vicious humps I have encountered are the one on the Devanhalli bypass and another one just as you turn left towards Nandi hills.

i give up , this place should be named as Bang-galore

Hope the mods take this humour in their stride . I'm just lightening up the thread in all innocence :-).
Old 6th April 2009, 14:28   #33
BANNED

KSTDC's new slogan should be "One State. Many Speedbreakers."
Old 6th April 2009, 14:34   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Perhaps they're trying to recreate the glory of Vijayanagara by turning Bangalore into Humpy.
LOL! That was a good one!
Old 6th April 2009, 14:36   #35
Senior - BHPian

Arun, you are friggin hilarious dude.....
Old 6th April 2009, 14:50   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Arun, you are friggin hilarious dude.....
I second that. ROTFL!!!
Quote:
i give up , this place should be named as Bang-galore
Couldn't be anything else, especially with so many colleges, pubs, happening places and nice weather
Old 6th April 2009, 15:25   #37
Senior - BHPian

They have put some new pedestrian crossing type of humps between HAL airport and Marathahalli. The traffic used to move so smoothly with some speed. Now the slowing down slows the entire flow.
Old 6th April 2009, 16:29   #38
BHPian

Bangalore Mysore road.... seems like every village/ town has previledges to humps. And police barricades.
Old 7th April 2009, 12:27   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuks View Post
The Haralur road - starting from SpringFields apartment in Sarjapur rd and ending at Hosur road jn - naganathpura junction
Yes, I was refering to the Haralur road and the other one throug Amrita College - Central Jail Jn - Bosch.
Old 7th April 2009, 12:35   #40
BHPian

The humps/speed breakers are useful at some points. But it has to be of proper height and width and should be properly painted.

Are there any lawyers among the BHPians. If so what's your opinion about filing a PIL on this.

Heard that there is a ruling by Supreme Court to remove the humps from highways. Is it true.

-arun
Old 9th April 2009, 13:25   #41
Senior - BHPian

I cant believe you guys actually counted these breakers. Doesnt it increase your frustration levels?

Turn up the music and keep sailing over them I say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunnn View Post
Heard that there is a ruling by Supreme Court to remove the humps from highways. Is it true.
-arun
Should be. Speed breakers on highways can only cause more harm than anything else. Rather they should have a law to barricade more/all highways.
Old 9th April 2009, 13:36   #42
BHPian

Was intrigued by the number posted, 28, by fellow member. Thought it can't be true, and wanted to verify is it really true?

And you know what, to my surprise, the number is much more than than that.

It's 34 as of y'day, when counted the group of 3 humps together as 1, but if we take them as 3, the count is 40. Unbelievable!!!
Old 9th April 2009, 14:33   #43
BHPian

I have travelled on the "hosa" road and yes, the first thing i too noticed was the number of humps.

I regularly travel on the road next to ulsoor lake (Towards the old philips office building) and new humps have come up. I dont know how scientific they are - these are the cobble stoned path way for pedestrians to walk on. The strech from CVRaman nagar towards KR Puram flyover again is infested with 3 humps - this where we could go at a decent 70kmph speed.

I understand that pedestrians need some way to cross the roads, but i think we should think 10 to 15 years ahead and build pedestrian walk ways (underground or overbridge) than simply putting up humps everywhere.
Old 9th April 2009, 15:31   #44
Team-BHP Support

Ah! Interesting to see that someone has posted regarding my favourite stretch of road! (Check: Sarcasm tuned to max level) I have not had the misfortune of having to travel to EC since more than a month and the last time i counted, there were about 36 speedbreakers along the Haralur Road.

Travelling along this road is so inspiring that i decided to launch the "AXE" campaign.. not the deo one, the destruct the speedbreakers one.

So, am asking the question again.. who's interested?
Old 9th April 2009, 17:10   #45
Senior - BHPian

Whatz the big deal? Has any one tried to go to Electronic City to Bannerghatta Road? Coming on B'ghatta road towards b'ghatta, you need to take a left turn near gottigere. You will land directly in the E/City behind wipro corp office. It has 28 humps within 8 kms. It cuts through a village in between.

The road humps are every where. We need to live with it.

Most Viewed