Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2009, 20:12   #46
BHPian

Bannerghatta Road too has been turned into a hump zone over the last week. A number of them have come up between Shopper's stop signal and Reliance Mart signal. I use this stretch to get to the EC link road and the smooth traffic flow has taken a hit. There is a signal in front of my house which is just after Jeyadeva flyover while going towards Dairy circle and I saw them put up a hump about 25m from the intersection on the path of vehicles exiting the signal. This helps in hindering the traffic flow. Why don't these people think?
Old 13th April 2009, 22:06   #47
Senior - BHPian

Increased wear & tear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsudarsan View Post
Bannerghatta Road too has been turned into a hump zone over the last week. ......

With so many humps and hump-zones on your way. How often do BangGaloreans need to get new rubber?

Cheers,
Old 14th April 2009, 00:32   #48
Senior - BHPian

I heard that the stretch from B'lore to Mysore is full of speed brakers now. Is this true? If yes,then its gotta be a pain covering the distance without being able to do decent speeds like earlier times.
Old 14th April 2009, 07:59   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
I heard that the stretch from B'lore to Mysore is full of speed brakers now. Is this true? If yes,then its gotta be a pain covering the distance without being able to do decent speeds like earlier times.
Although there are speedbreakers but the real pain of Mysore road is traffic. You need to really time your drive to reach Mysore hassle free and fast.

Abhi
Old 14th April 2009, 08:12   #50
Senior - BHPian

Sigh, Bangalore is 'hump' roads with huge speed breakers everywhere. From my office in ITPL to Old Airport Road (Suranjandas Road crossing) is 15 speed breakers - on top of that 3-odd new trapezoid humps are added at the intersections on Airport Road which didn't have humps (so, 18 in 12km) :-(
This is not counting 8 speed breakers in ITPL (<0.5km) before I get on to the road, another 2-4 speed breakers in the apt complex depending on the entrance ...
Old 14th April 2009, 08:28   #51
Team-BHP Support

After this fetish which Bangalore has towards speed breakers, people actually wonder why traffic barely moves?!
Old 14th April 2009, 12:36   #52
Senior - BHPian

Now try driving down Bannerghatta Road, from Outer ring road junction towards Bannerghatta. There are speedbreakers before every small road joins the road. There are around 7 speedbreakers between the ORR junction and Meenakshi Temple.
Somehow, the authorities are of the opinion that its the main road traffic that should be stopped to allow continuous in-flow of traffic from smaller roads onto main road.
Hats off to the brilliant logic... NOT!
Old 14th April 2009, 14:30   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Now try driving down Bannerghatta Road, from Outer ring road junction towards Bannerghatta. There are speedbreakers before every small road joins the road. There are around 7 speedbreakers between the ORR junction and Meenakshi Temple.
Somehow, the authorities are of the opinion that its the main road traffic that should be stopped to allow continuous in-flow of traffic from smaller roads onto main road.
Exactly what i have noticed on numerous occasions. ORR is one of glaring example. Hey some of TBHP must be in the legal profession and give us a view on this haphazard placement of speed breakers. I mean there must be a law on this.
Old 14th April 2009, 15:13   #54
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Brilliant logic

Quote:
Even i used to fume at those speadbreakers when travelling on the main roads. Later figured it out by experience. To understand the speadbreaker on the main road, you should try to take a right into the main road from the smaller road. Believe me, during peak hours, you will wait till eternity and beyond before you can do so. Even if there is a small break, the guy behind in the main road will speed up (with all lights flashing ) to prevent the people from the smaller road enter the main road.

A little bit of understanding and giving way will help..but thats not something we can find on our roads.So we end up with speadbreakers on them.
Old 14th April 2009, 15:19   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Even i used to fume at those speadbreakers when travelling on the main roads. Later figured it out by experience. To understand the speadbreaker on the main road, you should try to take a right into the main road from the smaller road. Believe me, during peak hours, you will wait till eternity and beyond before you can do so. Even if there is a small break, the guy behind in the main road will speed up (with all lights flashing ) to prevent the people from the smaller road enter the main road.
So, how does traffic in cities other than Bangalore cope? Surely they face the same problem as well, but do not have as many speedbreakers!
Old 14th April 2009, 15:40   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
To understand the speadbreaker on the main road, you should try to take a right into the main road from the smaller road. Believe me, during peak hours, you will wait till eternity and beyond before you can do so. Even if there is a small break, the guy behind in the main road will speed up (with all lights flashing ) to prevent the people from the smaller road enter the main road.
Ummm... some of these speedbreakers are accompanied by traffic lights too. For example, the one near Hulimavu. And then there are speed breakers where there is no scope for a right turn from a smaller road!

And traffic from small roads should not be allowed to take a right turn on a main road anyways. They should merge with the main road traffic and make a u-turn at the next traffic lights.

Ofcourse, if they implemented this, then the traffic would head down the wrong way to the next light!!
Old 14th April 2009, 16:09   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsudarsan View Post
Bannerghatta Road too has been turned into a hump zone over the last week. A number of them have come up between Shopper's stop signal and Reliance Mart signal.
I was indeed happy to see the road get re-tared but the very next day i was literally disappointed to see these moron's put up humps evey half a kilometer. Driving on Banerghatta Rd has really become a pain. These humps have also increased the traffic jams.. I seriously cannot understand what the Karnataka Govt is upto....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Infact these humps can take one for a surprise. There are no speed breaker signs and by the time one realizes its all over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
After this fetish which Bangalore has towards speed breakers, people actually wonder why traffic barely moves?!
Exactly !! Get rid of these humps in bangalore and traffic will definitely move faster.

Driving in TN and Kerala is such a joy when compared to driving here.
Old 14th April 2009, 22:40   #58
BHPian

That road is a real pain, so much that I detest taking it now, I rather go opposite towards silk board junction take the second left and comeout just before the Shell petrol pump..

I simply fail to understand the logic behind so many speed breakers..

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunnn View Post
There are two roads connecting Sarjapur Road to Hosur road (Jail road and another one parallel to it). These roads are full of humps. Its few meters of road between humps. Also these humps are constructed without any standard, its just a heap of tar. This will definitely spoil your car as well as your spinal cord ( even if you have air suspension ).
Hundreds of cars going to Electronic city use this road daily. Frequent braking and gear change waste a lot of fuel for all these cars.

As road tax payers, do we have the basic rights to drive on smooth roads.

Is it possible to file a PIL against such illegal and unscientific speed breakers ( any lawyers among the BHPians pls? )

Its ok it construct a speed breaker at sharp turns. But on this road, there are humps at 50m distance even on straight road also.
Old 15th April 2009, 09:34   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Some of the humps have been placed illogically at the exit of the junction rather than before it.

A new hump has grown overnight right after Jeyadeva flyover on BTM side. Now people can happily speak on mobile phones and dance in the middle of the road in the name of crossing.
Old 15th April 2009, 10:00   #60
Team-BHP Support

Some concerned citizen has written in to the editor of TOI complaining about the illiogical placement of speedbreakers on Bannerghatta road. However, i doubt anything is going to come of it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks